Jump to content
Albiscuit

Hi Cappa's, Pros/Cons

Recommended Posts

I am in the market for a new pistol, I would like something functional and aesthetically pleasing and TM Hi Cappas seem the thing for me.

 

The fact they are internally and externally up-gradable appeals. I would love to have it as a project gun, swapping bits out until I am happy and like the look of the 'race' guns with fancy triggers/slides etc... Also the shoot straight, far and quick!!

 

However, never having used one like most I dont really want to dump a load of cash on something I know nothing about and know there are a few owners out here so your thoughts would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boring, fussy looking gun.

Boring because the TM Hi-Capa shoots brilliantly well out of the box, so any upgrades will be minimal at best, and could easily make it worse.

Fussy looking says the man who just bought an SAI 2011 DS 😂

 

Brilliant Pistol all round, you’ll love the performance but I ended up getting bored with mine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing really. Well built guns with good reliability. Good to shoot. Only issue is you'll have to use universal holsters as it's not based on a real gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

 

Boring because the TM Hi-Capa shoots brilliantly well out of the box, so any upgrades will be minimal at best, and could easily make it worse.

 

 

 

From what I have been reading this is the thing. Will do very little internally unless it blows apart or eventually gives up on me.

 

I like the fussy looking bling add on's that most others seem to hate. The red/gold race guns look nuts in my opinion :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Albiscuit said:

 

From what I have been reading this is the thing. Will do very little internally unless it blows apart or eventually gives up on me.

 

I like the fussy looking bling add on's that most others seem to hate. The red/gold race guns look nuts in my opinion :) 

 

There you go then, perfect pistol, no downsides, I say go for it. Be prepared for Mike Cripps to bend you over lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

 

There you go then, perfect pistol, no downsides, I say go for it. Be prepared for Mike Cripps to bend you over lol

 

I could easily drop 500 quid on bling... Will put a load on my christmas wishlist and see how much the mrs loves me lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Albiscuit said:

 

I could easily drop 500 quid on bling... Will put a load on my christmas wishlist and see how much the mrs loves me lol

 

Be mindful that Mr Cripps recommends at least 1k rounds before any frame/slide/grip modifications bed in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good points is it'll shoot well, very well, but if you're after something that makes a loud bang and kicks hard then you're going to be left underwhelmed, well, underwhelmed until you realise you can go toe to toe with a surprising amount of the field's rifles.

 

you can kind of squeeze it into a nuprol 1911 holster if you take the front rail off.

 

upgrades wise an I key to get enough lift for .3's and that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Summing up my experience with my hicapa
Cons:
Price of externals!!!!! (hence why mine is internals only til end of month when i get a new slide)

And holsters can be a pain, although if you dont mind the hard retention plastic holster from Nuprol thats no trouble (in fact i have one that i no longer use because ive moved to kydex holsters to house my torch XD)

Pros: It's TM and will be out the box amazing (and all the usual pros)

I mean thats kinda it tbh XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One con to add to the list- every time you lend it to a mate they'll try and buy it off you rather than hand it back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

One con to add to the list- every time you lend it to a mate they'll try and buy it off you rather than hand it back


Good point, 
Speedsofters are a nightmare for it
Think there's one upgraded hicapa that literally had 10 different owners this year alone because it's one of the first things we sell to fund other things. 
(It last sold for £225, but it sold for that exact amount the time before, think its a price they sell it for as flat rate, so noone has lost money after each sale) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LightningCh said:


Good point, 
Speedsofters are a nightmare for it
Think there's one upgraded hicapa that literally had 10 different owners this year alone because it's one of the first things we sell to fund other things. 
(It last sold for £225, but it sold for that exact amount the time before, think its a price they sell it for as flat rate, so noone has lost money after each sale) 

 

 

mine's not that bad, iirc originally bought brand new by a chap who presumably is responsible for the upgrades that are on it, then got sold for £100 to a mate of mine who traded it for a we luger that i told him was a terrible gun, i dropped an i key, scraped off the glue that had somehow ended up on the barrel and it's spend the rest of it's days trying to out-do the makarov in the "which is the most evil sidearm i own" competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nuprol makes a hicapa holster that will take it.

 

You don't need to do any upgrades. Shoot it until the plastic slide cracks (which it might not do for ten years if you use the correct gas) and then buy a new plastic slide and get another ten years out of the gun.

 

I wonder why people bother making these super efficient guns less efficient by replacing the plastic parts with metal ones. Pride of ownership I expect,  and the enjoyment you get from personalising your gun.

 

I think they look pretty good as they are, and just keep mine stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emilianoksa said:

<snip>

I wonder why people bother making these super efficient guns less efficient by replacing the plastic parts with metal ones. 

<snip>

 

I think they look pretty good as they are, and just keep mine stock. 

 

I have gone through 4 plastic slides so far this year 😂 nothing to do with TM just I'm rough with the gun, if the pistol is out odds are its getting smacked into a wall as i slide into cover.

So metal, although being less efficient on gas or air, is more durable.

Plus the metal makes them look so pretty 😍

 

Will not deny them looking good already though. Especially with a color fill on the slide 

 

IMG_20181102_211113_386.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LightningCh said:

 

I have gone through 4 plastic slides so far this year 😂 nothing to do with TM just I'm rough with the gun, if the pistol is out odds are its getting smacked into a wall as i slide into cover.

So metal, although being less efficient on gas or air, is more durable.

Plus the metal makes them look so pretty 😍

 

Will not deny them looking good already though. Especially with a color fill on the slide 

 

IMG_20181102_211113_386.jpg

 

Now that is really going some.😁

 

Do you think the cut outs on the Gold Match slide make it more prone to cracking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emilianoksa said:

 

Now that is really going some.😁

 

Do you think the cut outs on the Gold Match slide make it more prone to cracking?

 

They reckon the front cuts on the top are prone to cracking... Mine never actually cracked there. 

Mine always cracked from the ejection port (from smacks) OR where the guide plug goes. Because its been cut down to reduce weight the polymer is thinner where the plug pushes against the slide.

 

Although that's more down to my 120% recoil springs. 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PROs

 

Mag BB and gas capacity.

Fastest standard trigger of any TM pistol.

SAO with instinctive safety that doubles as a great thumb rest.

Non tilting barrels very accurate.

Upgrades obviously.

Parts support / availability.

 

CONs

 

Popularity?!

Trigger guard not biggest for some gloves.

Theres not many negatives really, it's not very 'real steel' if your into that, but can be fashioned into RS look a likes.

 

HOLSTERS, good choice actually;

 

Cheapo nuprol.

Phoenix Tactical

G-Code

Omnivore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely love my gold match even though I've only used it once. The big appeal to me is the after market support and making it your own. I'm going to run mine until something fails then start getting all the fancy bits I want for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, supersavage said:

The big appeal to me is the after market support and making it your own. I'm going to run mine until something fails then start getting all the fancy bits I want for it. 

 

This is why I fancy one... 

 

Plus I love using pistols and they seem to be the most accurate, straight and fastest available!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/11/2018 at 14:54, BigStew said:

Nothing really. Well built guns with good reliability. Good to shoot. Only issue is you'll have to use universal holsters as it's not based on a real gun.

Generally superb straight out of the box (well TM is anyway), don't rush to have a list of "upgrades", they really need very little, instead maybe consider looking at mag upgrades for winter use, very few stock gas mags like it when the temperature drops, but as for the gun literally leave it alone until something breaks (you might have a bit of a wait lol).

as for holsters, just get a 1911 Serpa, genuine or copies it doesn't matter, they're piss easy to stretch a bit using nothing more than hot water, & will securely hold almost all hi-capa brands (I have 2 TM's & 1 kjw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love my Mike Cripps High cappa, 2nd one I have brought from him now.

 

20180212_212843.thumb.jpg.8940102ff92028311058b1e4867a3ac2.jpg

This was the first one he did for me, out shots some of my long arms!!

DSCF1369-20160103-182851113.jpg

 

 

I don't have any decent photos of the LimCat one on my phone here must be on my laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/11/2018 at 20:12, Davegolf said:

PROs

Fastest standard trigger of any TM pistol.

 

 

I think you'll find the Strike Warrior has the fastest trigger out of any standard TM. Its unique to the SW ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a 'Capa at heart 😉

 

Nice Limcat BTW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SOLD...

 

Those few pics alone make me want one!! Was looking at AW Hi cappas but will defo get a TM one now.. 

 

Just need to work out which one and what external add ons I want!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×