CYMA P90 full upgrade - Finished... For now...

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. 

In a drunken stupor on Saturday night I decided to work on a project over the Christmas period. I work in Education so I get a fair few days off. I looked up that P90 gearboxes and takedowns are pretty easy so felt that was the way to go. £75 for the CYMA CM.060B seemed a bargain. 

I have changed barrels and bucking on an AEG before as well as a GBB pistol but beyond that I have always paid for upgrades on my RIFS. To save money and learn a bit, I felt it time to work on a gearbox for the first time. 

Even if the stock parts are OK I have decided to replace as much as I can to learn more about the type of parts I need to buy and be able to put them together. The other challenge is I want to try and keep the budget for the gun and the parts under £200. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is what I already purchased. 

CYMA CM.060B: £75

Element Gearbox Shims: £1.50

SHS M90 Spring (Though I believe it's rated for M100): £2.50

FMA P90 QD Sling mount (Not sure if I need this): £2.00

SHS P90 Aluminium Air Nozzle: £2.00

XCortech XET304u Mosfet: £7.80

Specna Arms 14:1 steel gears: £14.33

Prowin P90 CNC Hop up unit: £22.00

King Arms P90 Tappet plate: £10

Prommy Purple Bucking: £10

Guarder Cylinder enhancement set for P90 (Including piston): £45

Guarder Steel Bushing set for P90: £13.50

Ultimate Spring Guide for version 6 gearboxes: £11

Tokyo Marui EG1000 Max Motor. (Not counted towards original budget)

Laylax FF P90 Custom magazine catch (External and optional so not counted towards the budget)

Deans connector

Decent wire. 

Running total: £147 - Remaining budget: £0.00 (Overbudget, £216.50 for everything so far.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is what I already have. 

Tokyo Marui AUG barrel. (Should fit, if not I will cut it down by 20mm)

Swiss Arms P90 harness kit (Bought it being told it was for an F2000, but wasn't!)

ICS M4 style flash hider. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to make a decision with regards to the build. I would like a fairly high speed build, but would depend on whether I use 7.4v or 11.1v. 

What sort of grease should I be using for the gearbox?

Thanks for listening! 

CYMA-CM060B%206.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just picked up a King Arms Tappet Plate and Prommy Purple bucking. I have increased the total budget to 200. Thinking I may pickup a Hurricane full cylinder kit. 

On 06/11/2018 at 15:16, RMDavis said:

Following this with interest!

Hope it goes well bud. 👍

Cheers man! I just picked up all the wiring stuff. 16AWG wire, heat shrink and deans connectors. 

I need to pick a cylinder/piston set now. There is a Hurricane set local to me for 30 but only has one O ring on the head. The guarder one online is 45 but has a piston as well as a dual O ring head. Convenience over possible additional performance?

1 minute ago, Asomodai said:

Cheers man! I just picked up all the wiring stuff. 16AWG wire, heat shrink and deans connectors. 

I need to pick a cylinder/piston set now. There is a Hurricane set local to me for 30 but only has one O ring on the head. The guarder one online is 45 but has a piston as well as a dual O ring head. Convenience over possible additional performance?

I assume you probably have already, but Fire Support has lots of P90 internal parts for sale, well worth a look!

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/search.php?search=p90&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Just now, RMDavis said:

I assume you probably have already, but Fire Support has lots of P90 internal parts for sale, well worth a look!

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/search.php?search=p90&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

That is where I was looking at the guarder set! I love Fire Support for getting in odd and eccentric parts. They really helped out with my FAMAS builds. 

4 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

That is where I was looking at the guarder set! I love Fire Support for getting in odd and eccentric parts. They really helped out with my FAMAS builds. 

Couldn't agree more mate, I've bought all sorts of external parts for my P90 from them. Your build thread should hopefully give me the confidence to tackle some internal upgrades on my own P90...

I noticed they sell a complete gearbox rebuild kit: https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/guarder-sp120-full-tune-up-kit-for-marui-p90-series

However wouldn't a 120 spring make it a little hot for the UK?

1 hour ago, RMDavis said:

Couldn't agree more mate, I've bought all sorts of external parts for my P90 from them. Your build thread should hopefully give me the confidence to tackle some internal upgrades on my own P90...

I noticed they sell a complete gearbox rebuild kit: https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/guarder-sp120-full-tune-up-kit-for-marui-p90-series

However wouldn't a 120 spring make it a little hot for the UK?

I had briefly considered getting that kit, but would put me above my budget. I already have a decent tappet plate, Gears, SHS air nozzle and the original spring is probably M120 which I can use to short stroke. 

Did you ever research getting the built in RDS kit? Otherwise what sort of sight should I used? I have a We con RDS which would look great, but thinking T1 as well? I usually use iron sights but due to the short rail, probably wont work great. 

In addition did you find any decent HiCaps that worked? Otherwise i'll just import some Mag mid caps. 

20 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

I had briefly considered getting that kit, but would put me above my budget. I already have a decent tappet plate, Gears, SHS air nozzle and the original spring is probably M120 which I can use to short stroke. 

Did you ever research getting the built in RDS kit? Otherwise what sort of sight should I used? I have a We con RDS which would look great, but thinking T1 as well? I usually use iron sights but due to the short rail, probably wont work great. 

In addition did you find any decent HiCaps that worked? Otherwise i'll just import some Mag mid caps. 

That's fair enough mate.

I do like the built in RDS sight, but on the other hand I prefer the flexibility of having a rail. A T1 would look pretty smart though!

Mine has a regular open reflex sight fitted. Among a few other bits... Laylax enlarged mag release, Laylax sling mount, and a King Arms P90 QD silencer. Prometheus tight bore barrel and purple hop rubber!

I'll get some photos later if you want?

I generally use a mixture of low/mid caps, the four Mag mid caps I have seem to work pretty well. My experience with hi caps has been hit and miss! When they feed correctly though they're brilliant!   

15 minutes ago, RMDavis said:

That's fair enough mate.

I do like the built in RDS sight, but on the other hand I prefer the flexibility of having a rail. A T1 would look pretty smart though!

Mine has a regular open reflex sight fitted. Among a few other bits... Laylax enlarged mag release, Laylax sling mount, and a King Arms P90 QD silencer. Prometheus tight bore barrel and purple hop rubber!

I'll get some photos later if you want?

I generally use a mixture of low/mid caps, the four Mag mid caps I have seem to work pretty well. My experience with hi caps has been hit and miss! When they feed correctly though they're brilliant!   

Thanks for the info. I would love the built in RDS for mine as it would be proper Stargate! 

Whats the enlarged mag release about?

2 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Thanks for the info. I would love the built in RDS for mine as it would be proper Stargate! 

Whats the enlarged mag release about?

It's an expensive bit of plastic! 😂

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/laylaxfirst-ff-p90-custom-magazine-catch

In fairness it does make the mag release much easier to handle, especially in hurry as the original catch is quite recessed into the lower receiver.

That's how I've justified the purchase anyway...

On 09/11/2018 at 22:16, Davegolf said:

MAG brand midcaps are the best for P90, still hold a lot of BBs

If your going 14:1 then stick with 7.4V

Keep the barrel length down circa 300 / type 2 cylinder

The MAG ones are the ones I am after. Need to import them most likely though. 

Barrel length will be 260 standard. 

I have just picked up a TM EG1000 Max motor. Not neodynium. But perfect for my needs. In addition I have picked the 16AWG wire, deans connectors etc. 

That's a nice quality motor though, make sure you get a high discharge battery as it'll need the amps to pull the 14:1 quickly from a standstill.

Correct AOE with the type 2 cylinder and that'll be good volume for the barrel.

Enjoy the build!

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:10, Davegolf said:

That's a nice quality motor though, make sure you get a high discharge battery as it'll need the amps to pull the 14:1 quickly from a standstill.

Correct AOE with the type 2 cylinder and that'll be good volume for the barrel.

Enjoy the build!

Thanks! I have been worried that the EG1000 wont be able to pull the gears well enough. I had considered buying a ZCI High torque and transferring the EG1000 armature into it. Not sure if I have the funds to do that. What would be considered a high discharge battery? I usually use the Nuprol 1450MAh, 7.4v 30C lipos, good enough?

I went the for the whole shebang and went over budget and purchased the following. 

Guarder Cylinder enhancement set for P90

Guarder Steel Bushing set for P90

Laylax FF P90 Custom magazine catch

Ultimate Spring Guide for version 6 gearboxes. 

So that should be it, though I do need to pick up some sorbo, considering an M100 spring just in case I get pre-engagement or double fire on the M90 and possibly the ZCI motor for the can. 

Is it worth picking up a decent quality piston? Like an SHS lightweight one or something. It's the only thing I haven't got a replacement for. 

In addition, the actual P90 itself arrived last night. It is tiny! I can see myself ordering an extended butt plate (Snarf). 

21 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Thanks! I have been worried that the EG1000 wont be able to pull the gears well enough. I had considered buying a ZCI High torque and transferring the EG1000 armature into it. Not sure if I have the funds to do that. What would be considered a high discharge battery? I usually use the Nuprol 1450MAh, 7.4v 30C lipos, good enough?

I went the for the whole shebang and went over budget and purchased the following. 

Guarder Cylinder enhancement set for P90

Guarder Steel Bushing set for P90

Laylax FF P90 Custom magazine catch

Ultimate Spring Guide for version 6 gearboxes. 

So that should be it, though I do need to pick up some sorbo, considering an M100 spring just in case I get pre-engagement or double fire on the M90 and possibly the ZCI motor for the can. 

Is it worth picking up a decent quality piston? Like an SHS lightweight one or something. It's the only thing I haven't got a replacement for. 

In addition, the actual P90 itself arrived last night. It is tiny! I can see myself ordering an extended butt plate (Snarf). 

Nice one bud, that's going to be a little monster when complete!

I personally would chuck a new piston in also... I mean why not? Even if it's just for bragging rights, you've upgraded pretty much everything else! 

They are very small aren't they? But IMO such a comfortable gun to use, and I can appreciate some people not liking the marmite looks but for me it just works.

2 minutes ago, RMDavis said:

I personally would chuck a new piston in also... I mean why not? Even if it's just for bragging rights, you've upgraded pretty much everything else! 

They are very small aren't they? But IMO such a comfortable gun to use, and I can appreciate some people not liking the marmite looks but for me it just works.

Should I look at a 15 or a 14 tooth? I can see the Pros and Cons of them, but cant decide. Probably going to get an SHS for economy!

It's a toy really ;) Would be great to sling into a backpack with minimal equipment. 

20 minutes ago, RMDavis said:

Bugger! Didn't realise the Cylinder set already includes a Guarder piston! Sorted! Looks like I have to stick with 15 teeth with a single steel tooth :)

52 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Should I look at a 15 or a 14 tooth? I can see the Pros and Cons of them, but cant decide. Probably going to get an SHS for economy!

It's a toy really ;) Would be great to sling into a backpack with minimal equipment. 

Yeah they are very light, compared to a regular metal AEG. I think you can get a metal upper receiver? 

49 minutes ago, RMDavis said:

Yeah they are very light, compared to a regular metal AEG. I think you can get a metal upper receiver? 

The lighter the better in my opinion. As long as the plastic is solid, its much more preferable. 

Then again, the heaviest gun I have is the Cyma F2000 and that's all plastic... 

They are also one of the quietest AEGs going, especially with a well built gearbox.

I remember running up the escalators at The Mall with the P90 one handed, epic gun and it's not an M4 :D

Extended butt pad is good

ProWin Hop unit, TM AUG HC Barrel and Prommy purple Bucking and nub installed. Had a lot of issues getting the arm to engage and the rubber to sit correctly but all good! Man the old Hop unit is terrible!

Also put the M4 Flash Hider on it 🙂

IMG_20181116_001925.jpg

IMG_20181116_004454.jpg

IMG_20181116_004509.jpg

• 1 month later...

How did it turn out?

Quite interested since I heard they can be silenced to pretty stupid levels..

40 minutes ago, Skara said:

How did it turn out?

Quite interested since I heard they can be silenced to pretty stupid levels..

Getting started next weekend. Work finishes for Christmas on Friday where i'll have a week and a half to go for it! 

The EG1000 has been replaced with an SLD High Torque as I wasn't sure the TM would have pulled the gears. I may also switch out the 14:1 set for a 13:1 set. 

So some work has been done!

Got out the guarder compression set, lubed up the O-rings with silicon. Seems to have a very good air seal. 

IMG_3509.JPG

Unfortunately the King Arms Tappet Plate is too thick where the Nozzle should rest, this goes for the Guarder nozzle and the SHS metal one. 

IMG_3511.JPG

I was going to stop there, but got worried that the original Tappet Plate wouldn't be compatible with my nozzles either, so decided to take the gearbox apart. Seems pretty solid to me, came out really easily as well. Wiring whilst poor quality wire, is well soldered. 

IMG_3514.JPG

Motor cage comes off easily. 

IMG_3516.JPG

Trying to get the top plate off I managed to gouge a deep cut into the side of my thumb. Bled profusely. I did the same sort of thing when I took a G36 gearbox apart.

IMG_3517.JPG

Despite my best efforts, the gearbox fell apart when splitting. At least the spring stayed in place! Gears seem solid with a large nub to activate the tappet, spring guide is surprisingly made out of metal and with a bearing. Usual crap compression gear, though seems to have a fair air seal. Crap clear Air nozzle that is roughly cut. 

IMG_3518.JPG

Uh-oh, one of the bushings seems to have broken at some point. All the bearings fell out of the gearbox easily with ease. 

IMG_3521.JPG

My new Guarder bearings, look much better quality. The large bearings are just as loose in the gearbox as the standard ones, though the round ones fit in tight. 

IMG_3522.JPG

Cleaned up gearbox with guarder cylinder and piston set, M90 spring, V6 specific Ultimate spring guide, Specna arms 14:1 gears and Guarder bushings. The only thing that's stock is the tappet plate (Luckily the SHS nozzle fits fine, slightly loose but good enough) and anti-reversal latch. 

IMG_3523.JPG

I am a bit worried about the nub on the top gear being smaller then on the original gear set, this might result in pre-engagement, what say you? Shall I get a delayer chip just in case? Next is to shim the gears (No idea what I am doing with that!) and put it back together again. 

Archived