Replacing CM16 Raider Short rail

Lollingsgrad
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm going to make a project of my CM16. First thing I want to do is make it look less obviously like a Raider by replacing the outer barrel/rail setup.

I'm planning on going for the suppressor partially hidden by rails look, so I'm wondering if I can get away without buying a new barrel by dremelling the front sight triangle off. I know the 3 piece outer barrel is a bit weird though, is there anything wacky about how that G&G rail attaches to the body/barrel that would make this plan fail?

48 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I'm going to make a project of my CM16. First thing I want to do is make it look less obviously like a Raider by replacing the outer barrel/rail setup.

I'm planning on going for the suppressor partially hidden by rails look, so I'm wondering if I can get away without buying a new barrel by dremelling the front sight triangle off. I know the 3 piece outer barrel is a bit weird though, is there anything wacky about how that G&G rail attaches to the body/barrel that would make this plan fail?

The front sight "triangle" as you call it is actually the gas block. They are sometimes removable, you can buy a low profile dummy gas block, or one with a flip up front sight as well.

Don't try buying gas blocks where you're not sure of the origin, as the real ones look identical, are not expensive, and will be classed as firearms components.

1 minute ago, AshOnSnow said:

They are sometimes removable

Not on the CM16 raider unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Don't try buying gas blocks where you're not sure of the origin, as the real ones look identical, are not expensive, and will be classed as firearms components.

Yikes I had no idea, thanks for the warning. If I just outright replaced the outer barrel with something like this do you think that'd be a problem? Are there similar concerns over handguards and rails? 

Just now, Lollingsgrad said:

Not on the CM16 raider unfortunately.

Yikes I had no idea, thanks for the warning. If I just outright replaced the outer barrel with something like this do you think that'd be a problem? Are there similar concerns over handguards and rails? 

The term "component part" may be held to include (i) the barrel, chamber, cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii) breech, block, bolt or other mechanism for containing the charge at the rear of the chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm upon which the pressure caused by firing the weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights and furniture are not considered component parts.

Handguards are furniture, you can buy airsoft or real handguards without a firearms certificate.

28 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Handguards are furniture, you can buy airsoft or real handguards without a firearms certificate.

In this case I'm even more keen to try removing that front sight rather than risk getting a replacement, since it'll mean is all I need to get is the furniture.

• Supporters
15 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

The front sight "triangle" as you call it is actually the gas block. They are sometimes removable, you can buy a low profile dummy gas block, or one with a flip up front sight as well.

There's LOADS of airsoft specific gas blocks available without needing to look beyond airsoft suppliers. Let's not get too scaremongery now, eh?

32 minutes ago, Lozart said:

There's LOADS of airsoft specific gas blocks available without needing to look beyond airsoft suppliers. Let's not get too scaremongery now, eh?

Not getting scaremongery, just a warning - I was browsing for front gas block with a flip up sight to order with some grips and a weapon light, almost inadvertently placed an order for an actual AR15 one that was cheaper than the Airsoft one I eventually bought.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Not getting scaremongery, just a warning - I was browsing for front gas block with a flip up sight to order with some grips and a weapon light, almost inadvertently placed an order for an actual AR15 one that was cheaper than the Airsoft one I eventually bought.

But surely you would have had to end up on an actual firearms suppliers website to find that?

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

But surely you would have had to end up on an actual firearms suppliers website to find that?

Yeah exactly, sometimes when there’s sales on you can get good real accessories and furniture just a cheap as the Airsoft stuff that’s better quality, and in my crazed Airsoft shopping haze, I forgot for a moment that the gas block wasn’t something to go in an Airsoft gun.

Also, it wasn’t obviously restricted because it was listed under “optics”.

i was simply saying, if you’re buying something like a gas block, buy it from an Airsoft shop. Be careful of eBay sellers outside the UK, make sure if it’s not a purely Airsoft supplier, that you’re not getting a real one.

Example:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/aim-sports-inc-750-mil-spec-low-profile-gas-black.html

a real one at $6

vs an Airsoft one at £15

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/fortis-low-profile-gas-block

Archived