From Gamer to Airsofter

Coop
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Apologies first off that i might not speak to lingo or understand some of the replies if you all use acronyms 🤣

Are we called Airsofters? I've only been once and I guess I should address others as they would like to be addressed.

First off, I’m 34, reasonably fit and 5’10. Based in the UK.

Kit wise on my first mission to Bristols "Black Ops" centre, I had camouflage combat trousers, hiking boots, and a Falkland war era flight jacket. This is just me cobbling together some clothing I already had. Previous to this I had no real interest in Airsoft but I was invited two Sundays a go and thought I’d join a decent forum.

First game and based solely on previous paintball experience (just birthdays and stag do’s) I went all in physically and manage to get the designated VIP to all locations required to win the game. I was giving verbal commands to my friends (4 of us in total) the guy who was the VIP later thanked me for making it a great game. Nice 😄

What I realised over the course of the day is that I saw people with full military uniforms and accessories, high end weapons and radio equipment. But all this appears to be useless if you’re not willing to get stuck into things physically. I compromised many of their positions due to the fact I didn’t stay in one place and crossed over areas they wouldn’t expect. This was the advantage over the opposite team for the duration of the day and I admit there were some sour grapes from the perhaps more experienced crew.

The range of kit seen throughout the day was interesting, from T-shirt and jeans to full face masks and body armour. I know with that stuff it’s personally preference but I’m definitely in the “light weight” gear camp now I’ve been mucking about in the field. After a taste of real world air soft I have a good idea of the kit i'd like and if any of you have some direction to any of it, i'd be grateful. 

Are there combat trousers with a woven "patch" of sorts for knees? The reason I ask it because I think I'd like something there for the knee but not a strap on pad. Anyone who was wearing those on the day complained that they were restrictive in most cases.

Secondly, what is the best method to carry both a rifle and side arm? I borrowed most of my kit and with me I had an assault rifle and pistol. The Beretta was stashed in my vest holster (borrowed kit) and the rifle had no strap or anything, so I had to lay it carefully on the ground before reaching for the pistol.

Lastly, I had a hockey mask style head protection with mesh eye pro, I am definitely not a fan of mesh as it obscured my vision. What full head mask has plastic eye pro which wont break the bank?

Sorry for the mammoth thread, thanks in advance. 

• Supporters

Welcome.

There are trousers with built in knee pads.

tactical-gen-2-gen2-army-cargo-integrate

A quick adjustable 2 point sling, worn most of the time as a single point one is the best in my opinion for the rifle.

A holster on the hip for the pistol. Definitely not a drop leg one.

• Supporters

First off, hello and welcome to the wonderful world of wondering where the fuck all your money has gone airsoft!

There's plenty of trousers with no hard knee armour such as Helikon SFU https://www.military1st.co.uk/clothing/trousers/sfu which can also take a soft knee pad insert (I have some of these myself and they're great)

Best way for carrying a rifle and sidearm is a sling and a holster. Depending on your preference slings can come in single, two or three point flavours (I'd suggest a single point for CQB and a two point for running around the woods). As for holsters I'd suggest you stay away from "drop leg" styles as most people seem incapable of actually putting them on correctly. Try a mid ride belt holster.

As far as the "full head" protection goes, either a FAST style helmet with goggles and a half face mask or something like the WarQ mask would work. 

When wearing trousers (I mostly play in shorts with volleyball knee pads) I have a pair of work trousers from Aldi that have reinforced knee's and can take knee pad inserts. I also wear a DYE i4 paintball mask which might fit the bill for you regarding face protection?

7 minutes ago, ChrisG said:

Is there any actual reason for the no no on drop leg holsters?

Only poorly fitted or poorly designed ones.... so most of them. Most are like a busty woman running.

6 minutes ago, ChrisG said:

Is there any actual reason for the no no on dropďťż leg holsters?

Most people don't know how to wear them properly, the holster should stay in the place you need it, before you affix it to a belt (the belt is a support stay not the main point of attachment), and often people have them too high or too low for a practical draw position. People often fail to keep guns in place properly, so crouching can mean a gun slipping to the ground.

Personally I like a drop leg (thigh position) as the draw point is more natural to me than hip or waist, doesn't interfere with slings, and is more comfortable in a variety of physical positions.

6 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Only poorly fitted or poorly designed ones.... so most of them. Most are like a busty woman running.

Thanks. Seen few neg comments and no one has said why 😂

Welcome! 

3 hours ago, Coop said:

What I realised over the course of the day is that I saw people with full military uniforms and accessories, high end weapons and radio equipment. But all this appears to be useless if you’re not willing to get stuck into things physically. I compromised many of their positions due to the fact I didn’t stay in one place and crossed over areas they wouldn’t expect. This was the advantage over the opposite team for the duration of the day and I admit there were some sour grapes from the perhaps more experienced crew.

By the sounds of things you were running in front of your own team all day? If that is true, be thankful you were playing with an experience crew, and they didn't just shoot you in the back of the head! :blink:

Good on you for getting stuck in though. Too many new folk don't. 

Well played mate - dooers will always beat don'ters 

I got Viper combat trousers with kneepads built in but I also have Brick layer kneepads for when I'm running just jeans.

Personally I am a huge fan of Shoulder holsters because they look cool, keep the gun out of the way and easily accessible.

Only downside is that they tend not be a fast draw (which is why I have my gunslinger belt/holster for quick reaction shots).

But yeah its best to try lots of different types to find the one that suits you.

• Supporters

As a note on drop legs the advice i remember reading for how to set the hight correctly is to ensure that your nadgers are in extreme discomfort with the top strap, indeed its advised to remove the top strap if you want to have kids.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Coop said:

First off, I’m 34, reasonably fit and 5’10. Based in the UK.

That reminds me, we should have a Lonely Hearts sub-forum.

2 hours ago, ChrisG said:

Is there any actual reason for the no no on drop leg holsters?

You're swinging the gun around with every step when you don't need to be.  There is no tactical advantage to it apart from gunslinger argument about fractions of a second in draw time, if you happen to start off facing an opponent, and in a crouch.  But we're not gunslinging, and if it comes down to that, you've already messed up.  It frees up a little space at your waist, maybe, if you discount the fact that you have to strap it on to your waist anyway.

I tried one and I couldn't get it to work.  After moving it around, the higher it worked, the better.  I now run it as a waist holster, but with the lower strap around the top of my thigh.  That works well enough that I've just bought another "drop leg" holster (because beige, mmmm) that I'll run the same way from the get-go.

So if you're curious, there's little reason not to get a cheap one and try it out.  You can easily enough convert it to a waist holster later using spare straps / cable ties / boot laces.

• Supporters

Trousers. As above. Many different brands many different colours many different prices!

Pistol holster, look at WAS universal holster and the like, retention holsters are the only way to go.

Rifle slings. No comment. I don’t use anymore, get in the way too much, if your a light fast player like me you won’t need one. (Have a look at the G&g ARP9 and Firehawk for light bloody good guns) and that way you don’t need a holster, just hold it and draw pistol with other hand.

Facepro, DYE I4 is the way to go. It’s superb for your playing style. And your face feels safe. BZ paintball do a brown one for £55 and I thoroughly recommend it. 

Hi

Welcome to the forum. 

As others have said loads of options for knee pads.  If you can sew, or know someone who can,  you can even customize your trousers to take the builder type kneepads if you don't like the hard shell ones.

I'm one of those who doesn't like the ones with straps.

If you have a short rifle a single point sling might work for you.  I tend to prefer 2 point slings with longer rifles.

Re the side arm, I use a drop leg without problems but I don't do too much running.  Depends on how much running you do, by the sounds of it a lot, so would be tempted to leave it behind unless you are using a DMR/sniper.  I don't tend to use it when I carry one with a full auto AEG, as it add extra weight, makes it harder to run and you have to remember to take out the mag when going to the safezone

Cheers

G

3 hours ago, Prisce said:

just hold it and draw pistol with other hand.

This, learn to shoot pistol left hand or even better both ambi, the amount of time you'll shoulder your rifle on your weak side is insane.

• Supporters

See a lot of posts saying how uncomfortable separate knee pads can be , the secret is cross the straps behind your knee’s so the straps are going top to bottom and visa versa . You don’t need to do them up as tight so there not as constrictive and they hold position a lot better than doing them up ‘straight across’ , totally changes the whole feel of wearing them .👍 

7 hours ago, Druid799 said:

the secret is cross the straps behind your knee’s so the straps are going top to bottom and visa versa .

That might vary by the individual’s leg anatomy; I’ve tried this repeatedly and not had much luck with it being more comfortable nor more secure. 

20 hours ago, Coop said:

and thought I’d join a decent forum.

Let us know when you find it ;)  

21 hours ago, Samurai said:

Welcome.

There are trousers with built in knee pads.

tactical-gen-2-gen2-army-cargo-integrate

A quick adjustable 2 point sling, worn most of the time as a single point one is the best in my opinion for the rifle.

A holster on the hip for the pistol. Definitely not a drop leg one.

Agree with this - hip or chest for pistol. Drop leg is a hindrance and offbalancing.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, evilrobotshane said:

That might vary by the individual’s leg anatomy; I’ve tried this repeatedly and not had much luck with it being more comfortable nor more secure. 

You must have some mutant anatomy then everyone I’ve seen use it said it worked for them ! 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 say’la’vie ?👍

• Supporters
2 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Agree with this - hip or chest for pistol. Drop leg is a hindrance and offbalancing.

Or if you want a drop leg have it up on your thigh. I've found it's a nice balance between mobility and being able to draw quickly. 

24 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Or if you want a drop leg have it up on your thigh. I've found it's a nice balance between mobility and being able to draw quickly. 

Or use a lower belt holster clip like what the american beat cops do.

5BC2630A-1805-4780-A948-C797C0EE23B8.jpeg

Archived