In your experience, do hicaps have more compatibility issues than midcaps?

Lollingsgrad
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've only ever owned one set of midcaps, some CYMA AK ones. Out of nowhere they went from feeding perfectly to not feeding at all despite me having followed all the usual break in and maintenance advice. It was disappointing to get rid of them but it just seemed my AEG loved any hicaps you could get to sit in the magwell so I gave up and went with it.

Once again feeling the itch to stop rattling I started searching around and something I noticed is that whenever someone is having feeding issues it seems it's usually a midcap being discussed. Are midcaps more problematic? If so, why?

I've found the opposite. It's hicaps I've had feed issues with. (Feed issues as in nothing coming out, not double feeds or anything that's the RIFs fault... and yes the wheel was wound :D )

I've had much better luck with mid-caps than hi-caps, but it varies massively dependant on gun and magazine compatibility, my G&G hates hi-caps, yet the same mag feeds perfectly fine in my Krytac, just unfortunately there's some trial and error with mag compatibility. Saying that, my LCT midcap AK mags seem to feed perfectly, then not feed the last bb. Means working out which mags are full/empty when reloading is a nightmare!

5 hours ago, Slamz said:

Saying that, my LCT midcap AK mags seem to feed perfectly, then not feed the last bb. Means working out which mags are full/empty when reloading is a nightmare!

When you put them in the pouch, put then backwards :P

i do that and never had a problem..

about mag compatibility..

i never really had problems, all my mags (midcaps and highcaps) feed flawlessly..

It comes down to specs mainly, some mags don't really fit the hop chamber..

also midcaps rely on a single, stiff, long spring to push the bbs, so often the mag feeds the first 20/30 bbs because the spring is compressed, after that it loses tension and may not be enough to push up the remaining bbs..

• Supporters

If I pick up new mids and I find they miss feed after the usual ‘new mag’ treatment what I do is get a jewelers round file and VERY carefully and slowly file away at the bb retainer in the feed tube (make sure you check BB retention regularly as your doing it) , pretty much sorts the problem every time for me .

It's just weird that at first the mags were great then they just all started being awful at the same time regardless of how they were cleaned. Nothing had changed in my LCT. I've heard that CYMA midcaps were supposed to be good too. Admittedly I didn't try the BB retention shaving trick though.

Never had a problem with either in terms of feeding, but not all mid-caps fit in my APE, whereas all my hi-caps do, ICS, Lonex flashmags, MAG, Nuprol, loads of different used ones that came with guns.

Cheers

G

I’ve had problems running hicaps in G&G gums, but mid caps have always worked regardless

My g&g runs fine with the g&g hicap that it came with and just as fine with a £6 cyma one I have,  but stick the nuprol one that's was double the price I have loads of feeding issues which is annoying when it's double the price for the exact same thing just rebranded

Archived