Recommendations on a Sniper Rifle

ChrisG
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I want my style of play to be sniper so i've been reading and looking around for a good mid budget? sniper.

I've seen Novritsch's SSG... and the varying comments good and bad. And then theres VSRs and SRSs. However fine tuning an airsoft gun is currently an alien concept to me so i wouldnt know where to start? Plus stock levels on sites ive been on are out of stock on a lot so i cant even gauge prices.

I just want a good range, 100-125m? Max 500fps, good quality scope and a relatively quiet gun in general or with silencer, bolt action.

Budget is around £600, but hopefully thatll be with scope and couple mags, if not thats fine.

Any help? 😊

• Supporters

Search the forum for SRS vs SSG and have a look. I have put in detail what I’d suggest doing to the SRS and what you can expect from it.

As an example; a VSR will come in roughly @ £750 ish min and that's without replacing the exterior parts nor a scope. Just a base model and top banana upgrades.

As far as where to start you need to pick a model and watch vids on installling upgrades and how to disassemble it. You'll need to learn how to do it anyway from a maintenance POV. You get what you pay for so bear that in mind when choosing.

All my upgrade parts for the VSR have been plug n play. You just need to undo and redo a screw or three and remember the order of things... (OK bit more than that but hey....).... they're real basic so it should be no problem.

As far as stock levels go, you just have to grab stuff as and when. Personally I like to do upgrades in steps anyway as you can see the effect they have individually. Change it all at once and it's harder to figure and fix.

There's no shortcut except say an SSG but then again they've had issues so there's no guarantee you wouldn't have to learn and fix stuff anyway.

Although there is a ton of upgrades available you can build a slick VSR with relatively few upgrade parts;

TM VSR G-Spec £220

Prommy EG Barrel £50

AirsoftPro V4 Piston, Trigger, Spring set £100

Hop arm £13

PDI Bucking £10

That build proven 90M accurate.

That leaves a whole lot of dollar for a nice scope / spare mags etc

Once that's all dialled upgrade to Mancraft and you're over 100M and super stealth.

Come to think if it I got friendly fired in the head by that particular gun last time I was out!

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

How did your game go last weekend?  Did you go for the AEG?

Went AEG. Was really good fun thank you. Bought a whole load of gear now. As well as ghillie suit to flesh out and work on so wanna go sown sniper route.

• Supporters

Awesome, great to hear that you enjoyed it.

I can't really advise on the sniper, I'm way too cheap.  £55 MB-03 with another £50 thrown it is it my limit. :D

However, the last I heard, the SSG-24's issues had been sorted out and it should deliver on its promise out of the box.  I lean to the side because at the end of the day these things are still very expensive toys and there's always the risk of getting one bad component that spoils your day.    One real risk with it is that regardless of what you order, you'll get sent a ~600fps gun which isn't even an airsoft gun by the UK legal definition, let alone skirmishable.  However, that's just a case of lopping some coils off the spring.

If you go any other route you'll end up throwing hundreds at the gun and if you get anything (or even nothing) wrong you may find it still shooting squiffy until the stars and all the parts align just right.  Which is why I'm starting on the  cheap and packing an effective AEG secondary.

I don't think there is a right answer to this question, or a magic solution that absolutely guarantees that you'll get a good 'un.  The cheapest and lowest risk option is probably to buy a pre-sorted gun, face to face, and to try it out over a measured distance to see if it shoots as well as its owner claims in real world metres rather than airsoft units of distance.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Awesome, great to hear that you enjoyed it.

I can't really advise on the sniper, I'm way too cheap.  £55 MB-03 with another £50 thrown it is it my limit. :D

However, the last I heard, the SSG-24's issues had been sorted out and it should deliver on its promise out of the box.  I lean to the side because at the end of the day these things are still very expensive toys and there's always the risk of getting one bad component that spoils your day.    One real risk with it is that regardless of what you order, you'll get sent a ~600fps gun which isn't even an airsoft gun by the UK legal definition, let alone skirmishable.  However, that's just a case of lopping some coils off the spring.

If you go any other route you'll end up throwing hundreds at the gun and if you get anything (or even nothing) wrong you may find it still shooting squiffy until the stars and all the parts align just right.  Which is why I'm starting on the  cheap and packing an effective AEG secondary.

I don't think there is a right answer to this question, or a magic solution that absolutely guarantees that you'll get a good 'un.  The cheapest and lowest risk option is probably to buy a pre-sorted gun, face to face, and to try it out over a measured distance to see if it shoots as well as its owner claims in real world metres rather than airsoft units of distance.

Yeah i hear ya. Im leaning towards getting one professionally configured in the UK. So i know it'll be okay. I wont be getting it for couple of months till i do research on the best, dont wanna rush into it. 

Just bought a ghillie suit so will be customizing it for the next few weeks.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, ChrisG said:

Im leaning towards getting one professionally configured in the UK. So i know it'll be okay.

Eh.  It's really pretty easy to replace parts in a bolt action.  If you're paying someone, I'd try to ensure (via personal recommendations) that they'll put the time in to do it right, rather than just throwing in the specified parts and then posting it out to you.  In fact, I'd treat a professionally modified gun the same as any other: shoot it before handing over money if at all possible.

17 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Eh.  It's really pretty easy to replace parts in a bolt action.  If you're paying someone, I'd try to ensure (via personal recommendations) that they'll put the time in to do it right, rather than just throwing in the specified parts and then posting it out to you.  In fact, I'd treat a professionally modified gun the same as any other: shoot it before handing over money if at all possible.

Will do. Just dont wanna spend X amount on a gun and F it up myself 😂🤨

Regarding the SSG, they are generally pick-up-and-go guns, you can take it out of the box and get as accurate shots as any (although the hop-up does need a bit of time to wear in nicely). My logic in buying it was from a similar standpoint a yours; I didn't want to spend a similar amount on a VSR and upgrades, only to have it still not work nicely at the end of it. If you're willing to put £500-£600 on something that just works with zero-effort, it's one to consider.

The only point I will add is that mine had a problem last month where the piston wouldn't release, and then the trigger seemed to go very loose. I had to take the whole thing apart and put it back together again, and it all seems fine now. That's after I've had it for about six months. As has been said, internally bolt-actions are far less complicated than AEGs, but whatever you buy you will most likely need to take it to bits at some point (unless you're wiling to shell out for a tech to do it!).

23 hours ago, Greg147 said:

Regarding the SSG, they are generally pick-up-and-go guns, you can take it out of the box and get as accurate shots as any (although the hop-up does need a bit of time to wear in nicely). My logic in buying it was from a similar standpoint a yours; I didn't want to spend a similar amount on a VSR and upgrades, only to have it still not work nicely at the end of it. If you're willing to put £500-£600 on something that just works with zero-effort, it's one to consider.

The only point I will add is that mine had a problem last month where the piston wouldn't release, and then the trigger seemed to go very loose. I had to take the whole thing apart and put it back together again, and it all seems fine now. That's after I've had it for about six months. As has been said, internally bolt-actions are far less complicated than AEGs, but whatever you buy you will most likely need to take it to bits at some point (unless you're wiling to shell out for a tech to do it!).

Thanks for the info appreciated. I've seen you can buy a TM VSR10 fully customized for around £560. This doesnt include scope and mags. So im toying between that and SSG now

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ChrisG said:

I've seen you can buy a TM VSR10 fully customized for around £560

Commercially?  Who's doing that?

You don't really need it to be fully customised.  A 500fps spring, hop unit / rubber and barrel plus barrel spacers are what gets you the range and accuracy.  Anything beyond that is gravy.  When you start looking at the trigger sear and piston upgrades, that's for longevity - you can add that later, when the stock items wear out.  You might as well get your money's worth out of them.

Heck, my barrel spacers are wraps of Pound-shop electrical tape.  They fill the gap between the barrels in the same way as rubber spacers.  If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Commercially?  Who's doing that?

You don't really need it to be fully customised.  A 500fps spring, hop unit / rubber and barrel plus barrel spacers are what gets you the range and accuracy.  Anything beyond that is gravy.  When you start looking at the trigger sear and piston upgrades, that's for longevity - you can add that later, when the stock items wear out.  You might as well get your money's worth out of them.

Heck, my barrel spacers are wraps of Pound-shop electrical tape.  They fill the gap between the barrels in the same way as rubber spacers.  If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=1838

And

https://www.surplusstore.co.uk/tokyo-marui-vsr-10-upgraded.html

Are what ive found. 

Surplus Store are a great bunch of lads. 

Dan the tech is a marvel. 

1 hour ago, ChrisG said:

How come?

My VSR is full of Action Army internals. They work and work well. All parts just drop in easy and are very nicely machined.

However some of my parts differ; instead of the barrel they offer I have a Maple Leaf Crazyjet, Maple Leaf Superman bucking, Skeee Concave Nub (specifically for the AA hop up) and a Springer Custom works S-trigger v.9.1 instead. Minor differences.

I'd also opt for SurplusStore as they have a good rep IMHO. A friend has also used their Tech and was happy with the work. Word of mouth, et cetera...

One thing I would ask (as neither state) is what angle is the sear & piston: 45 or 90 degree? 90 degree is preferable; safer and more stable. It'll last longer too.

Archived