Lipo charging

Mancave
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Sorry if this question has been asked before,I have recently bought a ASG balance charger and Nuprol 11.1v Lipo Battery’s .I would like to know once I have charged the battery’s and used them at a days skirmish when I return home, can they be left until I need to use them again or do I have discharge them. 

You are better off to re charge them when you get home. If it is going to be months between uses then run a 'storage' charge which your charger should have as an option. But if its only a few weeks until use again just give them a full balance charge. I tend to put mine on for a top up the night before a game but usually find they don't need doing.

You should get one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E57ZYXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is crucial that each cell should sit around 3.8v when not in use to maximize the life span of them because lipos are very volatile and leaving them too low to too high charged will damage them.

I put mine to the recommended storage voltage after every game but I've only done this because it's what was recommended.

As an aside, I don't have any firsthand experience of it actually mattering. I do wonder if it's really that big a deal. Just think about how badly lipos are treated in consumer goods compared to how airsofters treat their lipos. I guess we don't have the fancy protection circuitry though...

Given that the possible rewards are getting to be infinitesimally lazier and the possible risks include a lipo fire, I tend to just follow the crowd on this one 😁

1 hour ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I put mine to the recommended storage voltage after every game but I've only done this because it's what was recommended.

As an aside, I don't have any firsthand experience of it actually mattering. I do wonder if it's really that big a deal. Just think about how badly lipos are treated in consumer goods compared to how airsofters treat their lipos. I guess we don't have the fancy protection circuitry though...

Given that the possible rewards are getting to be infinitesimally lazier and the possible risks include a lipo fire, I tend to just follow the crowd on this one 😁

I use Lipo's in RC helicopters too and seeing the way some airsofters treat them scares the hell out of me ! 

I've seen guys wrenching on the leads, even pulling part of the balance lead off on one occasion. Dropping them, throwing them, using ballooned packs, running them flat, not having a clue of how to dispose of them. And that's before poor quality 'home' wiring and soldering and frayed wires all just begging for a short circuit . Sooner or later someone will puncture one . Trust me the RC boys are way more anal about Lipo safety and if one goes up in a model its usually several hundred meters away not right next to your face like in our Rifs

anyone who hasn't seen a lipo go up have a watch of this, its deliberately punctured here but shorts etc will cause the same end result

http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrEzeKsrthbbWEA6XkCCmVH;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWc0dGJtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMQ--/RV=2/RE=1540955949/RO=11/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dZiRR3GbbR8k/RK=0/RS=.6bsPBUXniyava9.iVb_ZE0VNDA-

Archived