Bullpups - Which is the King?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Putting aside the "role" of the bullpup, which airsoft bullpup is the best at what it does?
I'm currently sorting out my SVU so it will actually be useable,  but it got me wondering about others.
Well - this pic1609149706_Screenshot2018-10-29at19_54_20.thumb.png.0e0e24d728afbf7672ec735828353b48.png got me wondering

As the Tavor in it looks awesome and now I want one.
I've always liked bullpups. My last PCP air rifle was a bullpup and it was a thing of beauty.
So I'm looking again - Tavor / AUG / Type 97B / SRS
What's the best and who makes it?
TIA 
SoS

I would recommend the RS Type 97b or Type 97  ( big surprise) basically a gutted real steel QBZ  family of weapons with airsoft internals, so real steel external with rock-solid internals no need to do any work on it, feed from stanag mags and very rarely seen on the airsoft field and the only real option if you want to do a modern Chinese military loadout just have a look at the product description on the RS website   

http://www.realsword.com.hk/gun_97b.htm  also has some very interesting ris rail systems such as the FTU ( flat top upper) which was designed by the Canadians. 

However the  ergonomics are not the best, the selector switch is  located to the rear of the receiver and I find that it sometimes it can switch if held close to the body and gets caught on the webbing, the hight of the optic mount can be difficult depending on what optic you use and mag release can be awkward to use, as it located on the right side of the mag well and to the rear if you are not used it before and battery installation,  is also pain at first  but you get the nack of it then its not a problem  does have a spongy trigger with a lot of slack but not a real problem. 

Also, they are expensive.

I second the Real Sword Type 97. Best bullpups bar none. 

Avoid all Tavors, none of them are particularly good due to the amount of proprietary parts used in them.

Look at the APS UAR and CYMA F2000 if you want something cheap with good upgrade base.

Look at ICS L85 or TM AUG HC if you have 300 quid lying around. Good out of the box.

Or the RS Type 97 for creme de la creme.

Any other bullpups you'll need to search long and hard to get parts and a tech to turn it into something approaching decent. 

• Supporters

G&G AFV , or a Jing Gong AUG got em both and there both cracking guns .👍

20 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Cheers for the info so far chaps.
The 97 seems to be winning so far.
Has anyone got their mitts on one of these:
http://www.aresairsoft.com/guns/soc-ar
Looks pretty good to me.

General consensus is that's its OK but not worth the money. 

• Supporters

i think the problem is all the bullpups have various issues, as much as i love the g&g f2000 for it's ergonomics and handling, the trigger is terrible even when it works properly and you'll forever be fighting the cutoff lever to get it to work correctly, that said, the rest of the gearbox is strong and stupid easy to work on (and apart from the cutoff lever/trigger unit easy to get parts for), and the adjustable spring backing off is something that can be fixed with the right locking technique (you back the spring guide into the lock nut rather than the other way round)

the aug's are nice although from what i've seen on the field they seem to have this strange knack for spontaneous dissassembly

Aug's can be decent if you invest a little time in them.

It's not worth going for the TM HC if you are going to tweak. There is nothing special about the HC other than the fact it is 90% there in terms of tweaks already done.

The bog standard AUG has an awful lot going for it.

It's cheap, mags are cheap, It's light, It's comfortable to shoot.

It is not an M4 platform and works differently. The biggest difference been that an AUG needs movement on the internals. If you start to shim things up to be tight that is when body pins start to fall out.

41 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the aug's are nice although from what i've seen on the field they seem to have this strange knack for spontaneous dissassembly

You'll probably find the owner shimmed the barrel or incorrectly installed the hop unit. It stops the hop unit and barrel free moving, keeping spring tension on the body pin. Without the tension the pin will just fall out. And the gun will fall to bits. It's one of the most common problems I see with them, And it's 100% user caused because they read a guide for the m4 platform and assumed it works on all guns.

Personally ATM I would get an AUG commando variant. I've said this a fair bit in the past year. It's the best overall variant. Offering rail space, A more suitable inner barrel length, And better overall styling. It can also be had cheap if you go searching for JG/APS re-brands.

https://gunfire.com/en/products/sw-020t-carbine-replica-olive-drab-1152215958.html

Upgrade wise from a bottom end model like that you are looking at an overhaul.

Element silent piston and cylinder heads (you want the pom plastic ones). £15-20
Mosfet £10
Motor It'll depend on if you want to alter the gearing. For 7.4v 2200mAh block batteries on 18:1 gears about 35K is adequate for 25rps. £50
Downgrade spring M110 cut (it has a QC system on that model) £5
Decent bucking £10-15
Better inner barrel (320mm) £20

So  £100-120 in upgrades off the bat. It'll still bring the gun in at under TM HC prices. But for the effort you will have a better overall shooter just a touch slower on the RPS.

The rest of the AUG is just learning the platform. There is one minor problem with BB's getting into the body, It can be reduced with some magwell shimming. Getting the BB's out is a very simple affair just split the gun, invert and shake.

My own AUGS hold there own on the field. I've never felt out ranged by another AEG, Or at a disadvantage. The gun is comfortable, Points well, Well balanced, and extremely easy to work on.

Aug triggers are less good. They have travel, and no real feel to them. You can modify the selector bar for a semi only position if needed with hand tools. And still retain the semi/auto position. The trigger is nothing like a PCP gun. It's functional, and works best when silicone oil/grease is used on the trigger plate over the pistol grip to give it some smoothness.

Just a quick note. If you like the F2000, have a go at getting the Cyma F2000. It is essentially a JG AUG inside. Only difference being it has an M4 Mag well. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Asomodai said:

General consensus is that's its OK but not worth the money. 

Can you link to the reviews mate , been looking at this my self but as it’s so new I haven’t found any decent reviews , just a few YouTube’s of it .

cheers Druid . 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Iceni said:

You'll probably find the owner shimmed the barrel or incorrectly installed the hop unit. It stops the hop unit and barrel free moving, keeping spring tension on the body pin. Without the tension the pin will just fall out. And the gun will fall to bits. It's one of the most common problems I see with them, And it's 100% user caused because they read a guide for the m4 platform and assumed it works on all guns.

the more you know, sounds similar to the f2000 where if you're not careful you can end up with a loose pin.

the one i saw had the pin somehow rotated about 45° inside the body, i'm still not sure how he managed that.

5 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the one i saw had the pin somehow rotated about 45° inside the body, i'm still not sure how he managed that.

That shouldn't be possible the pin is a rectangular cross section shape and sits on a sprung bar. The users must of been a proper spoon. The Pin can be a bugger to get back into position. To get it back in you have to get the sprung bar sat on it's seats correctly then insert the pin and hold it down with a long screwdriver from the front. Otherwise it's a major fiddle.

You can put the pin in from either side, And because it only has a keyway for the upper release on one side you can change the direction you push to release with this. The rule with the pin is push to the detent, feel for the slight click, If it doesn't split re-centre the pin and push from the other side. Once you get the basics of how the pin functions it's a very easy system that isn't prone to failure or falling out. Typical for the AUG platform you look and learn and forget everything you know about M4's because it generally doesn't apply.

Great points of the system I didn't mention.

All uppers are interchangeable.
Hop is very easy to access.
The gearbox comes out having only removed 2 screws.
The gearbox is externally wired
The gearbox has a motor cage and can be dry fired out of the gun.
The loom is very short.
Separate contacts for semi and auto mean you can semi lock and AUG with just tape.
The gun can be made left handed just by reversing the safe bar.

5 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

The pdr c seems pretty cool tbh - lightweight, small like a p90, takes m4 mags, has the looks. Seems like a winner to me if I ever get a bullpup.

Poor motor and it doesn't have a fire selector switch, only a two stage trigger. Built for CQB in mind but so easy to go to full auto which isn't allowed in most CQB arenas. 

Shame as I love the look of the muzzle!

1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

Poor motor and it doesn't have a fire selector switch, only a two stage trigger. Built for CQB in mind but so easy to go to full auto which isn't allowed in most CQB arenas. 

Aaa damn didn't know about the motor.

Anyway, I remember Silverback are making a desert tech mdr. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I have money during that time.

33 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

The pdr c seems pretty cool tbh - lightweight, small like a p90, takes m4 mags, has the looks. Seems like a winner to me if I ever get a bullpup.

27 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Motor should be easy enough to change and if you can't reliably squeeze one off ( fnarr fnarr ) try fitting a misfit.  

Another option is the conversion kits for Scars and Ak's.

A mate of mine wants an L85, what are the forums thoughts on which brand/model etc. anything to know, anything to avoid?

Cheers

• Supporters
57 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

A mate of mine wants an L85, what are the forums thoughts on which brand/model etc. anything to know, anything to avoid?

Cheers

The L85. 😉 

ICS is the best brand, had the G&G, it was ok, but nothing to write home about.

Its a heavy Cumbersome gun. Divides opinions almost as much as a vector 🤮, but they do perform well!

1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

Cheers

The default response for years has been the ICS L85. But the recent G&G 3rd gen L85 is considered as real competitor with its new ETU and gearbox redesign. Still early days though. 

I can't say anything on the G&Gs but the ICS is definitely a performer, the gearbox is great, the  externals and disassembly is excellent but the Hop unit needs a little love to get the best out of it.

I agree it's weighty but it is well balanced, which makes a massive difference, M4s etc are very front heavy. 

Archived