What are you looking for in Airsoft?

Prisce
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

6 hours ago, klein said:

I take my 16 year old regular playing airsoft 

He is not allowed to use pyro but people are allowed to through pyro at him

And generally trying to get more kids into airsoft

He also can’t drink but people can drink around him...

They are technically fireworks and as such come with age with age restrictions as do FPS limits.

Kids get into Airsoft just fine without needing pyro, I can say this by our clientele’s demographic 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters
7 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

amen, some simple tips i've seen from sites (in the form of a general rant admittedly)

don't give the guy with a pkm the medic role- he's a freakin support gunner

medics shouldn't be blazing into combat, sure you need to be on the frontlines to help people but you're also not supposed to die (i've yet to meet an airsoft medic that didn't do this)

snipers should stop going mark wahlerg and actually engage in helping their team-mates when they're in sticky situations

if you see a support gunner wildly firing in the direction of the enemy do not for the love of god sit and whine to him about "you only need 1 shot mate", it's called suppressing fire and the time you spend complaining would be better spent flanking the enemy and rigorously demonstrating your 1 shot 1 kill prowess.

when defending/holding an objective make sure to scan everywhere, not just where the enemy is attacking currently, just because you're not piling into the fray doesn't mean it's not useful (unless there's extenuating circumstances like you know the enemy can only attack from 1 direction)

and finally when you are in a team, don't just walk along in a pile, actually scratch that, do walk along in a closely packed line, will make it easier for me to take you all out with 1 burst.

All good valid points BUT unless it’s a specific gameday (a themed one of some sort) then it’ll never ever happen ! Airsofters at walk on days (me included) are like the red arrows , pre game on there’ll be lots of good tactical ideas being put forward but soon as the marshal shouts “game on !” Its “brake brake brake !” And we all shoot off In every possible direction bar the one pre-planned ! 🤦‍♂️

We airsofters god bless us one and all have the attention span of amoeba’s and ask any marshal and they’ll tell you controlling us really IS like herding cats ! 🤣🤣🤣

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Druid799 said:

ask any marshal and they’ll tell you controlling us really IS like herding cats ! 🤣🤣🤣

having quite literally tried herding cats i'm inclined to agree :P

9 hours ago, Druid799 said:

ask any marshal and they’ll tell you controlling us really IS like herding cats ! 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

having quite literally tried herding cats i'm inclined to agree :P

Trust me, sometimes I think id be better off taking up a career in childcare

people actually listening to game briefs. having to repeat my self three times before a game and still having players asking what they are doing mid game. 

7 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Trust me, sometimes I think id be better off taking up a career in childcare

Its no better. Although some of ours surprise me!!

On 29/10/2018 at 00:40, Shizbazki said:

What i would like to see more of or added to Airsoft:

Real Working Toilets (men and women of course) - with paper, doors, flushing loo. I dont mean Buckingham Palace thrones just something clean to do the deed

Better designed retail websites with better filters - EhobbyAsia had it just about right, then they overhauled their website and broke it all, probably LWA, Evike or Zero1 have it closest now

More varied and in stock products - how often do you come across "Out of Stock".

Seating/setting up areas to be covered or sheltered from the elements, and better flooring whilst they are at it

Less Chinese replica/clone tat - for clothing and accessories

More sites but better quality - too many sites are just woodland with a bit of crappy structures, literally i could cut and paste Dragons Lair into Billericay Airsoft and its just the same place, different staff. 

Need more CQB sites near me - its not like frikking LONDON has no buildings, heck we have tons of abandoned factories, warehouses, hospitals etc cant we play in those before they are turned into (UN)affordable luxury flats?

Less hate for HPA - too many people hate on it and those who use it, ok you dont like the line fine, i dont mind it so stop giving me dirties. Not every HPA user (i for one) puts their Polarstar powered gun at 600FPS at 500RPS, there are more responsible HPA users than abusers.

I agree, the experience has to go up!

Someone needs to take ownership of the situation and set a standard.

Unbiased, unsponsored news but who am I kidding.

On 29/10/2018 at 17:37, Adolf Hamster said:

amen, some simple tips i've seen from sites (in the form of a general rant admittedly)

don't give the guy with a pkm the medic role- he's a freakin support gunner

medics shouldn't be blazing into combat, sure you need to be on the frontlines to help people but you're also not supposed to die (i've yet to meet an airsoft medic that didn't do this)

snipers should stop going mark wahlerg and actually engage in helping their team-mates when they're in sticky situations

if you see a support gunner wildly firing in the direction of the enemy do not for the love of god sit and whine to him about "you only need 1 shot mate", it's called suppressing fire and the time you spend complaining would be better spent flanking the enemy and rigorously demonstrating your 1 shot 1 kill prowess.

when defending/holding an objective make sure to scan everywhere, not just where the enemy is attacking currently, just because you're not piling into the fray doesn't mean it's not useful (unless there's extenuating circumstances like you know the enemy can only attack from 1 direction)

and finally when you are in a team, don't just walk along in a pile, actually scratch that, do walk along in a closely packed line, will make it easier for me to take you all out with 1 burst.

Has anyone done a series of videos on how to play these roles?

With scenarios showing examples of what you need to do in mock gameplay situations.

Videos games teach you in tutorials, the army certainly teaches you, what do airsoft sites do? Hmmmm, please let me know.

There is so much room to grow the industry, the opportunities for diagonal integration are everywhere.

Step back, look at the big picture or you might just get left behind the curve.

You have to be consistently delivering value and always working on the next big thing.

Am I ranting now?

What I'm looking for in Airsoft: (Ideal situation)

A nearby site with good facilities.  (toilets/shop) All not expensive.

Plenty of variation in areas from dense forest/bracken etc to open woodland and buildings.

Players who don't take it too seriously or want to 'win' at all costs.

Lots of experienced marshals and interesting games from longer mission based to short skirmishes.

For future weapon development: (I know these are available but too expensive/experimental for now)

RiFs with bright LED for simulated muzzle flash.

More realistic/louder firing sound.

Accurate rate of fire in auto.

1 minute ago, EDcase said:

What I'm looking for in Airsoft: (Ideal situation)

A nearby site with good facilities.  (toilets/shop) All not expensive.

Plenty of variation in areas from dense forest/bracken etc to open woodland and buildings.

Players who don't take it too seriously or want to 'win' at all costs.

Lots of experienced marshals and interesting games from longer mission based to short skirmishes.

For future development: (I know these are available but too expensive/experimental for now)

RiFs with bright LED for simulated muzzle flash.

More realistic/louder firing sound.

Accurate rate of fire in auto.

The Muzzle flash, that would be with a tracer unit style device? I saw something like that, I'll try to find it.

Found it: 

Who remembers the BOSS Unit? Spoke to them... well never mind about all that.

On 29/10/2018 at 10:19, Game Cam said:

I would like:

- More roleplay (pretend to die instead of just hand up)

- Maybe if there was no cheaters - adding a more interesting hit system (if hit in arm, you can't use it, etc)

Well in Italy a few teams developed FTH (literally Fuck The Highlander), a mode that i'd call "milsim taken to the extreme"..

You had to kit up as close as possible to a real unit (regular army, SOFs, doesn't matter), medics had to perform different kind of real first aid manoeuvres (light and easy stuff btw, nothing too complicated) depending on where the "wound" is and a lot of (to me) unnecessary stuff copypasta'd from the real world, like callsigns and actual military tactics..

It didn't really last long, it was expensive and people didn't like waking up at 6 on Sunday just to fire a handful of BBs and lay down crying because immersion, also teams had to travel a long distance to play, since out of the whole country only a handful of teams adopted this style.. But we're Italians, we just can't get things straight :P

as far as "what I'd like to see in airsoft", well..

Less crap that can go wrong inside guns, I know the standard mechbox is a rather simple device but stripping down some guns can be tedious, especially when reassembling them.

More affordable options for HPA

Less idiots, but that's too much to ask..

no dumb ideas like showing airsoft on tv because it'll only bring more bad reputation to the game.

More urban/cqb fields, my town has 40+ abandoned military installations, built between 1860 and 1943, a few have been refurbished as museums, all the others are left to rot because the Navy and the council/mayor don't seem to understand their potential as airsoft fields/museums/whatever.. People do play in a couple of forts but they're not exactly safe (holes in the floors, no railings, exposed sharp metal objects)..

More casual events rather than competitions (we had them in the past years, for some reason they disappeared, they were fun as hell because there was nothing to win, just a day or two sharing your passion with someone else)

A License to play Airsoft.. Yes, we don't have one, I want it because there's too many idiots causing troubles giving the game a crappy reputation here..

• 2 weeks later...

After 10 years of playing I'd like to see:

1. Better quality RIF's. Stronger, higher quality materials used, i.e. nylon-fibre instead of cheap plastic (e.g. Tokyo Marui) and stronger metals for gearbox parts, (e.g. Scorpion Evo) all better designed to perform well. Airsoft manufacturers are capable of doing so much better with their quality control, but breakages are just accepted as part of the hobby. I know of no other sector where customers are okay with their expensive purchases breaking regularly. It just seems to be expected, which annoys me, considering the costs involved. 

2. Better customer service support and spare parts availability from manufacturers/retailers. If shops can buy whole RIF's by the bucket load from Chinese manufacturers, why can't they also source sufficient spare parts from those same factories?

3. AIPSC to flourish, to add another dimension to airsoft shooting, so it's not just Sunday skirmishing. Improving people's abilities to shoot can't be a bad thing.

4. Better quality sites, rather than a patch of dense woodland with some pallets and an old shed. The abandoned sites that the French have to play with look tremendous.

5. As already stated many times, better teamwork and discipline. A well-organised close-knit group of 5-10 players can drastically influence the dynamics of play against superior numbers. The amount of players who do not know how to fire and move (I've had no training either) is phenomenal. They stop too far back from the action, are focused in only one direction, lobbing shot after shot with no hope of reaching anyone and forget to look behind them, or leave a back stop to protect their rear, or even communicate with each other. E.g. thinking someone is guarding the stairwell behind you, when they've got bored after 2 minutes of no action and decided to leave it wide open.

6. The return of being able to easily sell and buy RIF's, i.e. before Facebook shut it all down and posting them was easier. Before I buy a RIF now, I think, "How am I going to sell this on, if I don't like it?" 

7. Shooting ranges in gun shops, so that you can actually get hands-on and shoot the product to see how it performs, before spending hundreds and finding out that it's not actually worth the money.

8. I suppose what we all wish for is improved range and accuracy. I'm not sure exactly how that could be noticeably achieved, but perhaps my first point could help with better performing internals, along with increasing FPS limits up to US standards for outdoor play. (Let's not start the whole "FPS doesn't equal range thing again please").

9. I've only played CQB now for the last few years, as I got bored of woodland play, with everybody firing hi-cap after hi-cap at each other from 50-60 metres away. I'd like something to get me back into, so I'd like to see a better squad setup, i.e. designated support gunner with higher FPS, (say 400), marksman (higher FPS 400-500), medic, grenadier etc. While I think it would be a bit more difficult to start off, if everybody got behind the idea, it might make for a more enjoyable, immersive experience overall. The sites would have to limit the number of each category to avoid everybody turning up with M249's though. This is more prevalent in the US, as per JetDesertFox's Milsim West videos, but I can see the merit of it. When a lot of players got a WWII loadout at my local WWII themed site, it made everything much more fun, but over time, the player base changed, as it always does and less people made the effort to look the part, which in turn changed the dynamic of the site and reduced the enjoyment/immersion for me. I'm not meaning full-on milsim, but something a bit more organised, i.e. right tool for the job, rather than everyone running around blasting hi-caps at anything that moves. (Yes I have tried a Stirling milsim event).

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ryaw said:

A break called?

+1 to the above.  Ramsay Purple Helmet had an enjoyable Facebook rant (that I can't find :( ) about the quality of airsoft guns, and how the materials and tolerances are comically poor and inconsistent, even on the top end and upgrade stuff.  That's why I'll always view them as very expensive toys.

1 hour ago, ryaw said:

1. Better quality RIF's. Stronger, higher quality materials used, i.e. nylon-fibre instead of cheap plastic (e.g. Tokyo Marui) and stronger metals for gearbox parts, (e.g. Scorpion Evo) all better designed to perform well. Airsoft manufacturers are capable of doing so much better with their quality control, but breakages are just accepted as part of the hobby. I know of no other sector where customers are okay with their expensive purchases breaking regularly. It just seems to be expected, which annoys me, considering the costs involved. 

2. Better customer service support and spare parts availability from manufacturers/retailers. If shops can buy whole RIF's by the bucket load from Chinese manufacturers, why can't they also source sufficient spare parts from those same factories?

3. AIPSC to flourish, to add another dimension to airsoft shooting, so it's not just Sunday skirmishing. Improving people's abilities to shoot can't be a bad thing.

4. Better quality sites, rather than a patch of dense woodland with some pallets and an old shed. The abandoned sites that the French have to play with look tremendous.

5. As already stated many times, better teamwork and discipline. A well-organised close-knit group of 5-10 players can drastically influence the dynamics of play against superior numbers. The amount of players who do not know how to fire and move (I've had no training either) is phenomenal. They stop too far back from the action, are focused in only one direction, lobbing shot after shot with no hope of reaching anyone and forget to look behind them, or leave a back stop to protect their rear, or even communicate with each other. E.g. thinking someone is guarding the stairwell behind you, when they've got bored after 2 minutes of no action and decided to leave it wide open.

6. The return of being able to easily sell and buy RIF's, i.e. before Facebook shut it all down and posting them was easier. Before I buy a RIF now, I think, "How am I going to sell this on, if I don't like it?" 

7. Shooting ranges in gun shops, so that you can actually get hands-on and shoot the product to see how it performs, before spending hundreds and finding out that it's not actually worth the money.

8. I suppose what we all wish for is improved range and accuracy. I'm not sure exactly how that could be noticeably achieved, but perhaps my first point could help with better performing internals, along with increasing FPS limits up to US standards for outdoor play. (Let's not start the whole "FPS doesn't equal range thing again please").

9. I've only played CQB now for the last few years, as I got bored of woodland play, with everybody firing hi-cap after hi-cap at each other from 50-60 metres away. I'd like something to get me back into, so I'd like to see a better squad setup, i.e. designated support gunner with higher FPS, (say 400), marksman (higher FPS 400-500), medic, grenadier etc. While I think it would be a bit more difficult to start off, if everybody got behind the idea, it might make for a more enjoyable, immersive experience overall. The sites would have to limit the number of each category to avoid everybody turning up with M249's though. This is more prevalent in the US, as per JetDesertFox's Milsim West videos, but I can see the merit of it. When a lot of players got a WWII loadout at my local WWII themed site, it made everything much more fun, but over time, the player base changed, as it always does and less people made the effort to look the part, which in turn changed the dynamic of the site and reduced the enjoyment/immersion for me. I'm not meaning full-on milsim, but something a bit more organised, i.e. right tool for the job, rather than everyone running around blasting hi-caps at anything that moves. (Yes I have tried a Stirling milsim event).

1. Quality over quantity, players will start to invest more time and money into one or two primaries. Or have 20 plastic BB coughers.

2. Quality RIFs will come from a quality company, is that too much to assume?

3. Have a target run set up on game day, fun thing to try in the lunch break.

4. No comment

5. Sites will have to organise that, we can't do everything. There has to be a fair share of community building from them which takes time and commitment.

6. A Site can do this quite well.

7. A Site can do this quite well.

8. Min Engagement Distance aside, can I not just make my AR perform like a Sniper Rifle if the internals are the same? Some reach 100m+!

9. That's practically a whole new version of Airsoft... version 1.5?

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/10/2018 at 22:26, Immortal said:

An affordable bio shell ejecting ammo system in rifs. A fire and forget affordability. It would be cool to see those casings flying out and know you don't need to pick them all up. I see them as similar to dan wesson style shells perhaps in different cals to mimic real world rounds but still loaded with 6mm with the casing made of a cellulose. That would be a step up.

I know this kinda sytem exists in paintball (0.45 balls) but it's not bio casings, affordable and it's, meh,  paintball not airsoft. lol :D 

I'm assuming aerodynamic shaped rounds that work with rifled barrels is probably a push too far...

Who can design that?

What would I like to see in airsoft?

1) The bang bang rule gone(either offer surrender,knife kill or just shoot me)

2) A minimum of 2 RIFs per walk on{its crap eo see someone go home as they only have the one and it spoils the teams dynamic)

3) As others have said an Airsoft licence 

4)Deans,Mosfet and 2 midcaps as standard to all new RIFs

5) A charity skirmish or 2 would be good all proceeds going to our excellent armed forces folk who without them we would not get to

live our lives in relative peace and freedom

• Supporters

^i'm with you on the deans, not sure about the walk on requirements though, as much as i tend to follow that rule myself (and sometimes 2 aint enough :P ) 

i'm generally cool with the bang rule as long as i know the state of play with it ie required, banned or courtesy so i can act accordingly. pretty much every bang kill i've given has resulted in a "fair enough thanks for not shooting me" response although i tend to use it sparingly.

I'd like to see a fake csgo like bomb where the attackers have to type a code onto it, and the defenders have to diffuse with the same code. If not, loud boom from the speaker built into the fake bomb. 

31 minutes ago, StayOnTarget said:

2) A minimum of 2 RIFs per walk on{its crap eo see someone go home as they only have the one and it spoils the teams dynamic) 

Are you serious?

7 minutes ago, Cleggy said:

I'd like to see a fake csgo like bomb where the attackers have to type a code onto it, and the defenders have to diffuse with the same code. If not, loud boom from the speaker built into the fake bomb. 

Airsoft Gizmos

44968941_1139661426199492_12572781761286

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Cleggy said:

couple of sites i've played at have something like this, i recall one game where they hid the code which you had to find then take the bomb from the "terrorists" and defuse it.

needless to say we couldn't find the code, push the terrorists off the bomb or do anything really before the time ran out and the bomb detonated, was a pretty cool bomb though as it took a smoke grenade and fired it off when the time ran out.

local regularly has a bomb game although with a simpler bomb (a switch for either team which will start a 7 min timer when activated, hold the bomb for 7 min and you win), doesn't work out too well though as the site layout is biased to one side meaning the team in that position can almost always get to the bomb and dig in.

13 minutes ago, Cleggy said:

I think the only issue with the idea of a bomb gamemode is the fact that it would be incredibly difficult to get hold of as the defusing side. 

Depends on the defenders "live" ruling if they only had two respawns or could only defend a certain space it would work quite well. We regularly play a game similar just without a working prop that works without any issues.

• Supporters

Indeed, bomb games are just "Hold position A for X minutes", using a fancy box rather than a flag or spinner.  The site and sides need to be balanced for that, which is a whole other can of worms.

Archived