Bad Weather - yay or nay

Seth_Erebor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Out of interest, are you talking about playing in inclement weather, or marshalling?

Because standing or walking around slowing in a poncho is not the same as run-jump-kneel-prone.

I do both ;)

You say that but there have been and are occasions where I'm having to get on differing structures and sit in various positions to be able to get the best view of the game play which yes i may not be getting as muddy as the players I'm still certainly getting as wet.

Marshaling is inherently worse when the weather is shit though as I'm not running around to keep warm like all the other loons enjoying whatever weather comes out to play that day. I occasionally help out at festivals as well so as I say I like to keep prepared for whatever weather.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely that's where indoor cqb comes in handy? Sure as hell gotta beat standing out in the rain an snow that we get plenty of up here in "sunny" Yorkshire 

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Valentine said:

Surely that's where indoor cqb comes in handy? Sure as hell gotta beat standing out in the rain an snow that we get plenty of up here in "sunny" Yorkshire 

Playing in the snow is a right hoot ! 😂

playing in the rain sucks donkey dicks ! ☹️

To me it depends on the amount of rain and the temperature:

If it's warm (say 10°+) and there's light rain I don't wear Gore-Tex, makes me too hot and wet clothes aren't much of a deal, will wear a light windbreaker if there's some breeze (it just needs to shed wind, nothing more) or my Helikon-Tex level 5 jacket (think of a softshell without the fleece lining, sheds really light rain thanks to DWR coating but since the seams aren't taped, water will still go through after some time)

If it gets colder than 10° or it's raining (proper rain) I wear a Gore-Tex top instead of the windbreaker 

If it gets really cold (talking negative °, rain + wind) and I will be staying still for some time (guarding an objective or something) then it's tee-long sleeved tee-Gore-Tex and waterproof overtrousers..

If it gets even colder I may think about giving up :P

It all comes down to compromises:

Do you want to stay wet and have a warm, dry change of clothes at the end of the day OR do you want to have some actual protection at the cost of ending up wet anyway because of perspiration?

Ponchos are weird:

They're the best at shedding rain (they're basically plastic bags with a hood), but they do it so well they also block any vapour coming out of your body, so you still end up soaked.. On the plus side your gear (tac vest and backpack) will stay relatively dry..

Membranes are also about compromises, Gore-Tex has good waterproof capabilities but poor breathability (is that even a word?)

sympatex is more waterproof than GTX (20000mm vs 10000) but it's worse at letting moisture out, other membranes are less waterproof (<10000, usually around 5k) but more breathable..

In any case you'll end up wet, it's only a matter of how do you want to end up wet :P

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Skara said:

In any case you'll end up wet, it's only a matter of how do you want to end up wet :P

Taking showers and the like out of the equation (will play then as I’ve got decent wet gear) just talking about a proper pissing down soaked to the skin water running down the crack of your arse sort of day then yup it’s a big nope from me , my big gear grinder is the “man up it’s only rain don’t be a pussy !” Brigade if someone doesn’t want to get wet so what ? It’s the same as the “it’s only pain if you don’t like it don’t play !” types all there doing is showing what sad little spunktrumpets they are by needing to try and belittle another player for making a choice they don’t agree with .

when I get wet it’s either under a hot shower or on a sandy beach 🏖 with a surfboard under my arm ! 😁

Archived