Bad Weather - yay or nay

Seth_Erebor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

We've all been there, 5am or 6am looking out the kitchen window and it's bucketing down.

Do I play or go back to bed?

I could be wrong, but I don't notice much talk about rain gear, I certainly have never packed more than a good soft shell jacket.

Who brings along a poncho to keep their gear dry?

We don't get enough snow down south for it to be a major season of play, but is that case up north/Scotland?

The Mall was my "go to" during the winter months, what the next best place for a Londoner now?

I like indoor for the stable conditions, but I'm not a speed softer or big on CQB. I'd like to try a large indoor site, what options do I have?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

it varies, sometimes i'll call it if there's bad rain, other times i'll play in a total downpour/boiling sun/snow etc etc

pretty much just gets called on a how i'm feeling on the day.

ironically adverse weather games can sometimes be the best ones, more dedicated players.

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

it varies, sometimes i'll call it if there's bad rain, other times i'll play in a total downpour/boiling sun/snow etc etc

pretty much just gets called on a how i'm feeling on the day.

ironically adverse weather games can sometimes be the best ones, more dedicated players.

The rain takes out the sense of sound too, if you're the sneaky type.

A hot drink in the cold is awesome!

There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing choices. 

I wear SealSkinz socks, Gore-Tex Merrell boots and usually pack my Patagonia L5 jacket. 

Rain is very good, as stated, for covering noise, but I cannot be the only person who has called a 'hit' after a particularly large drop of water has impacted upon them... 

My first skirmish was 5 degrees and raining, but had gortex trousers, poncho and helmet so was fine, marshal was less enthused at me lying prone in the wet with a rental gun 😁.

But as I was warm and dry wasn't bothering me.

G

One of the best days I've had was in the pouring rain a few months back. Only about 20 of us turned up , it poured all day and everyone was ridiculously good humoured ! Hi fiving after getting hit and lots of calls of 'fecking good shot !'  The whole day was an absolute scream 😁

• Supporters

I played in the snow. Twice. Never again. 

Dont mind playing in any weather, what I do detest is when the marshalls give you an hour break after you’ve been playing for 4 hours in the rain. 

Your body has been hot from running back and fourth, then you stop, the rain soaks through, gets cold, and you either get ill/energy sapped and the rest of the day is shite.

Once you’re wet, keep running and you’ll be fine. It’s when you stop is the issue.

I am somewhat of a fair weather player. I like to change it up with some extreme weather occasionally but I have to be in the mood for it!

If I know its coming I prepare for it, but if the weather changes overnight I am far less enthused.  

If anyone comes across me on the field and the weather suddenly turns nasty, I normally have a couple of disposable ponchos just in case. 

• Supporters

If it’s cold I’m ok with it (the photo is black ops Portishead beginning of the yr and it was great fun !) but if it’s raining ? no fecking chance you’ll get me out in it ! I hated it when I got payed to be wet and miserable (rain coming at you sideways on Sennybridge is not big or clever!) so now I’m a an old fart who’s paying the price of his ‘exuberance for life’ from his youth ? 

nope not happening rain most definitely stopped play as far as I’m concerned !

AD8196D9-FAD7-4E35-A63F-CD619D227AA8.jpeg

Like many of you, there was a time when I'd be out in the muck in any weather. Now? Not so much. If it's pouring when I'm prepping, I must admit that I'm less likely to go, and instead head my wife telling me that I'm acting like an idiot. (I don't want to get sick and miss work now do I?lol) But, if I'm onsite and it starts raining, I'm in it for the long haul. So- I do pack the gear to cover myself - USGI or MoD surplus rain gear is still fairly inexpensive.

Quite honestly so far I’ve only ever used a hiking jacket I got in a closing down sale. Will probably invest in a softshell in a less conspicuous colour when I get round to it but I’m happy enough for now and it’s very breathable so I don’t overheat too much. 

One of my favourite airsoft memories was laying in wait to spring an ambush in a forest in the rain completely silent waiting for a patrol to walk by. It was so tense and the rain just added to it. Only time I've had a problem with rain was back when I was a rental and it rained to hard it shorted out the gun I was using. Not my gun though so not my problem

I have played in snow and would do again...rain that's a different matter..no way....I use the Met office weather app,it's never let me down,I watch it for the week leading upto the game.I used to MX/Enduro in the rain,snow whatever I just don't think airsoft is suitable in rain but that's my personal opinion....

2 minutes ago, snuff said:

I have played in snow and would do again...rain that's a different matter..no way....I use the Met office weather app,it's never let me down,I watch it for the week leading upto the game.I used to MX/Enduro in the rain,snow whatever I just don't think airsoft is suitable in rain but that's my personal opinion....

Snowflake 😉😂

Depends on just how bad. A bit of drizzle!? Sure. On and off showers? Ok I'll suffer that. Non stop monsoon? Fuck that. Like the NAE this year Sunday weather was bloody miserable and on top of that I don't want my guns getting ruined in the rain, saw plenty of people having water related malfunctions, contacts shorting out and guns being jammed on full auto firing until you pull the battery out.

12 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

Depends on just how bad. A bit of drizzle!? Sure. On and off showers? Ok I'll suffer that. Non stop monsoon? Fuck that. Like the NAE this year Sunday weather was bloody miserable and on top of that I don't want my guns getting ruined in the rain, saw plenty of people having water related malfunctions, contacts shorting out and guns being jammed on full auto firing until you pull the battery out.

This is my only concern with rain, but so far so good.

• Supporters

I'm an all weather biker (pedal and twisty-throttle), but a fair weather airsofter.  It's a pleasure activity, I don't enjoy it in heavy rain, so I don't do it.

I also don't appreciate sites haranguing, guilting or mocking players for not turning up in bad weather.  There may be a short term gain in getting a few more walk-on fees, but in the long term they're ripping the joy out of the hobby by making it something that you feel that you have to do rather than wanting to do it.  That's one reason that I binned historical reenactment, far too much commitment.

If you want to run around in really bad weather, that's your call, if you want to stay at home feet up and dry, again personal choice.

If it's shitty weather with 2 wheels you jump off the bike, strip off the gear and not spend 8 hours cold and wet. 

I don't choose to get soaked through with this hobby, if it comes out of nowhere you deal with it, but if you know it's gonna be really bad and unless you get a kick from it, there's no shame in not feeling miserable.

TL;DR This is the UK, prepare for unexpected rain, but remember it's just a game we're playing; if you're not having a good time, then where's the fun?

-----

Before anyone thinks I'm a fair weather rider, I've never owned a car (don't even have a car license) and I'm in my 40s, and have done the Elefant Rally in Germany a couple of times (Google Elefantentreffen if you don't know what I'm talking about) 😝 .

Archived