What's the heaviest BB you've used in a full auto AEG?

Lollingsgrad
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I occasionally see people in the US using 0.4g+ in their AEGs. Their FPS limits are higher though and I'm wondering at what point the BBs are just too slow over here. I specify full auto because I want to rule out semi-auto DMR type things. What's the heaviest BB you've effectively used in your AEG? Do you just go as heavy as your hop will lift?

Rumour has it that some folk at my local use .3+'s in their aegs... I believe they do cause if I'm around 30m away from them and they shoot at me, it's super easy to move out the way and "dance" between their bbs ! :D (Some then get highly frustrated at this and call a marshal)  

Personally I use .25's in mine. Not because of the quickness of them, but because I do not like getting hit rapidly with anything heavier than that, so I assume others don't too. 

Heavy bbs in snipers I totally understand. And since they cannot rapidly fire them I don't see the problem. so long as they keep to their MEDs. 

Heavy bbs in DMR's and AEGs however can be a problem... a lot of DMR's can get near the same speed as fully auto on a standard AEG. If the user is not sensible it is super easy to put half a dozen or more bbs into a person... which does hurts. 

• Root Admin

.30s are the new .25s. I'm using .32s in HPA but that would be doable even in many AEGs. Go as heavy as your hop can consistently lift. Consistent lift is key to accuracy as then your BB is on a predictable flight path.

The whole 'BBs going slower' thing is a myth. The difference is negligible. In fact a heavier BB will more efficiently burn through its energy and will go further and hit harder at longer distances. Just be careful of joule creep when you're setting it up. There's a lot out there on this already.

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, proffrink said:

The whole 'BBs going slower' thing is a myth. The difference is negligible. In fact a heavier BB will more efficiently burn through its energy and will go further and hit harder at longer distances. Just be careful of joule creep when you're setting it up. There's a lot out there on this already.

0.3s (although granted it would feel like an eternity) between a .5g bb and a .2g at the equivalent energy for 350fps on 0.2g (or 1.14j), and bearing in mind that time is the whole flight to it's maximum range rather than at a fixed distance and the .5 is going around 15m further.

i regularly run .3's these days because they're easily available, i'd run .4's if i could afford it but i'm a tad too trigger happy for it to be all that economical.

you also need to bear in mind that higher velocity requires less spin to lift for a given bb weight and it's tricky to get a hop that can impart enough spin at lower energies to lift heavier ammo, something those 2.5j snipers don't have to deal with.

I run .36-.40 in my modded recoil. I’ll take a  longer B.B. flight time if I get an extra 20m of accurate range any day.

• Root Admin
4 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

0.3s (although granted it would feel like an eternity) between a .5g bb and a .2g at the equivalent energy for 350fps on 0.2g (or 1.14j), and bearing in mind that time is the whole flight to it's maximum range rather than at a fixed distance and the .5 is going around 15m further.

i regularly run .3's these days because they're easily available, i'd run .4's if i could afford it but i'm a tad too trigger happy for it to be all that economical.

you also need to bear in mind that higher velocity requires less spin to lift for a given bb weight and it's tricky to get a hop that can impart enough spin at lower energies to lift heavier ammo, something those 2.5j snipers don't have to deal with.

Not sure if I'm misconstruing your point but just to clarify mine: I mean the time of flight differences aren't enough to notice (most people are sceptical of using heavier BBs because they think that they'll need to lead more). We're in complete agreement that the range benefits for heavier BBs are noticeable, however.

• Supporters
Just now, proffrink said:

Not sure if I'm misconstruing your point but just to clarify mine: I mean the time of flight differences aren't enough to notice (most people are sceptical of using heavier BBs because they think that they'll need to lead more). We're in complete agreement that the range benefits for heavier BBs are noticeable, however.

i'm agreeing with your point that the flight time is negligible for heavier ammo, although granted it can feel that way when you're "in the moment"

it was one of the things really surprised me when i sat down and calculated it, that the time difference was nowhere near as big as my perceptions of it was.

• Root Admin

Yep. I never have the link to hand but there's that old airsofting study where they have mapped trajectories for different weights and indeed the differences involved boil down to a couple of hundred miliseconds up close and narrow to next to nothing at range.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Yep. I never have the link to hand but there's that old airsofting study where they have mapped trajectories for different weights and indeed the differences involved boil down to a couple of hundred miliseconds up close and narrow to next to nothing at range.

yeah i've seen that link, it goes into much more depth than i bothered in terms of looking at firing up at angles for extended range, i just stuck to looking at firing level on the flat.

like i say .3s between a .2g and .5g aint much, and that's with the .5g going further in that extra time.

4 hours ago, Arwen said:

Rumour has it that some folk at my local use .3+'s in their aegs... I believe they do cause if I'm around 30m away from them and they shoot at me, it's super easy to move out the way and "dance" between their bbs ! :D (Some then get highly frustrated at this and call a marshal)  

I hope the Marshall then proceeds to laugh in their face 😂

Personally I use .25s as they are a good balance between cost and effectiveness. If I could find a source of quality .3s at a price I’m willing to pay I’d use them, currently I get through to many in a day to justify the extra range (which I don’t really need to be honest) 

Archived