Which gas for TM Gold Match?

SnowRoll
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched but couldn't find an answer.

The time has come for my first secondary piece, and after doing some research, I'm inclined to buy the TM Hi Capa 5.1 Gold Match.

I am, however, unsure as to which gas is best for this gun.

I'm not looking for the highest possible fps and would prefer to keep the gun's wear and tear to the minimum.

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Although I dont have The Gold Match version I have a TM 5.1 and 4.3 with stock slides, I run them on ASG Ultrair and also run at 110psi with a HPA drum mag both are roughly 2 years old and I airsoft 3-4 times a month I haven't yet (Touch wood) had to change anything and no sign of any cracks on the slides.

Guest Lord Elpus

If you use a strong gas, the slide will fail, I have a 5.1 and have got through two plastic slides, now has aluminium fitted. Second hand slides can be found on Mike Cripps site.

1 minute ago, Lord Elpus said:

If you use a strong gas, the slide will fail, I have a 5.1 and have got through two plastic slides, now has aluminium fitted. Second hand slides can be found on Mike Cripps site.

I'm still a noob, what's considered a strong gas? 

I saw two types of gas mentioned; Green gas and dust (?) gas.

Also, Nuprol are doing a 1.0 Blue gas, aimed for plastic guns, will that do OK for the Gold Match?

Guest Lord Elpus

Abbey predator gun gas 144a,  is recommended for TM plastic slide guns, it's ok, but in winter you will find it lacking in power. I used red gas in the first winter I had the gun, now I don't know exactly when the first slide cracked, but it was about that time, I think the second one was just over use, I did club pistol competitions so it's had a hard life! 

OK, so after doing a bit more reading, I think the right gas for me would be the Abbey Predator Gun Gas 144a.

Only possible issue is the cold weather?

If anyone thinks this is a mistake, please let me know... :)

Edit: Just saw Lord Elpus' reply. Thanks

Had my gold match going on 2 years now, always used normal green gas, used some nuprol 4.0 during the winter. it's still going strong in it's stock form doesn't show any signs of wear outside of the general scratches etc from holster and bumping it. Probably done a good 5-10k shots through it in it's life.

Don't worry about it, I plan on seeing it through till it falls apart then look to upgrade or replace it :)

Abbey 144a in the summer, and Abbey Ultra in the winter, is commonly advised.

The Abbey Ultra is not quite as strong as most green gases eg. Nuprol 2.0.

5 hours ago, sevizy said:

Although I dont have The Gold Match version I have a TM 5.1 and 4.3 with stock slides, I run them on ASG Ultrair and also run at 110psi with a HPA drum mag both are roughly 2 years old and I airsoft 3-4 times a month I haven't yet (Touch wood) had to change anything and no sign of any cracks on the slides.

What do you do about lubing the mags when using Ultrair - just drop a bit of silicone oil on the valves and router?

6 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Abbey 144a in the summer, and Abbey Ultra in the winter, is commonly advised.

The Abbey Ultra is not quite as strong as most green gases eg. Nuprol 2.0.

What do you do about lubing the mags when using Ultrair - just drop a bit of silicone oil on the valves and router?

In all honesty I dont do anything with the mags, and bar tightening the screw on one mag (WE) to fix a small leak I havent had any other problems. I have used other gas borrowed from mates when out on the field and wanting to reload on the fly as I play mainly CQB and use my pistol as a primary. This could be why my mags havent started giving me problems.

I use propane in all of my TM pistols and GBBR’s with no issues. Abbey gas is fine if propane/green worries you. Wouldn’t put ASG ultrair in a gun if you paid me. 

17 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I use propane in all of my TM pistols and GBBR’s with no issues. Abbey gas is fine if propane/green worries you. Wouldn’t put ASG ultrair in a gun if you paid me. 

If you dont mind me asking, how come you wouldnt use Asg Ultrair?

8 minutes ago, sevizy said:

If you dont mind me asking, how come you wouldnt use Asg Ultrair?

I’ve tested it in multiple pistols and rifles and it has performed terribly. For example.. in a we scar H Ultrair couldn’t complete a single mag. It got around 23 shots. It was filled with nuprol gas and reloaded and fired 3 mags. The 10% butane lowers the pressure and changes the boiling point of the liquid gas, which greatly increases the infamous cooldown effect. 

16 hours ago, Wo1f said:

I’ve tested it in multiple pistols and rifles and it has performed terribly. For example.. in a we scar H Ultrair couldn’t complete a single mag. It got around 23 shots. It was filled with nuprol gas and reloaded and fired 3 mags. The 10% butane lowers the pressure and changes the boiling point of the liquid gas, which greatly increases the infamous cooldown effect. 

Pretty much everyone I go with runs Ultrair in various GBBP's AND GBBR's with no obvious issues, Think ill try a different brand next time and compare the two maybe my idea of no issues is everyone elses idea of terrible 🤣

Archived