L85A3 Release publicity.

YorkieT17
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Was browsing the old Facebook when I came across this:

what do we think? Will the dark earth colour clash with their red tunics? Will it affect performance? Is the L85 getting cool now?

2 hours ago, YorkieT17 said:

what do we think? Will the dark earth colour clash with their red tunics? Will it affect performance? Is the L85 getting cool now?

Rest assured they will make sure it doesn’t clash with tunics, whether that’s a new cover or hanging onto a ceremonial stock for as long as possible 

There will of course be a rush to the A3 for “something different” - though that may have happened due to past announcements, and it may be too late again to be ‘cool’ as it becomes standard

627C7E74-8EC0-4EB9-89A0-56CEFF940156.png

• Supporters

Oh for f**k sake ! Army procurement strikes again , Keymod looses the fight against M-LOK so the MoD choose Keymod for its new battle rifle ! 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, YorkieT17 said:

No bullpup will ever be cool 

• Supporters

Woah! You're a little behind the times! 

Performance of the rifle didn't need to be improved really, though the barrel being free float should theoretically improve (already very good) accuracy and the new upper is supposed to be easier to maintain.  It's 100g lighter than the A2 as well, which means the SA80A3 only weighs 45Kg! 

3 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Oh for f**k sake ! Army procurement strikes again , Keymod looses the fight against M-LOK so the MoD choose Keymod for its new battle rifle ! 🤦‍♂️

It's HKey, slightly different standard. 

3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

so is the sa80....

*shots fired* :P

Shame you didn’t use an L85 to fire them, you might have hit the mark... 😂😘

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, YorkieT17 said:

Shame you didn’t use an L85 to fire them, you might have hit the mark... 😂😘

i did use an l85 to fire them, but my arms were so tired from lifting the damn thing i couldn't aim straight :P

10 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i did use an l85 to fire them, but my arms were so tired from lifting the damn thing i couldn't aim straight :P

Do you even lift bro? 💪💪🤣

5 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

Woah! You're a little behind the times! 

Performance of the rifle didn't need to be improved really, though the barrel being free float should theoretically improve (already very good) accuracy and the new upper is supposed to be easier to maintain.  It's 100g lighter than the A2 as well, which means the SA80A3 only weighs 45Kg! 

So basically based on an inferior standard, but incompatible with it so can't even make use of existing kit? 😉

• Supporters
6 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

Same horse different jockey ! 😉

On 18/10/2018 at 21:06, Adolf Hamster said:

Yea Whole day on the shooting range arms tired by end of the day. Or a 24 hour patrol. Alright weapon after the improvements. 

• Supporters

I've carried an SA80 around for days on end, fired it quite accurately during and after.  I'm not exactly the biggest guy going either.  90% of the people who complain about the weight (and reliability, and ergonomics, and accuracy, and....) haven't ever spent any actual time using the rifle.   Almost all of the weight is in the back and middle of the rifle which makes it very easy to hold steady when it's in the shoulder. 

• Supporters

Yes it’s a weird feeling lump when your just carrying it , BUT as cheese said when you’ve got it shouldered at the ready you can carry it like that for hrs no problem . 

Here’s some mention of the ceremonial SA80s going out on issue

**** beware - following the link can bring up vigourous opinions ****

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/british-army-to-cerakote-entire-infantry-weapon-fleet.285306/page-5#post-8868207

Managed to get my hands on a Black Chromed L85 today before they are issued to Public Duties troops.

It actually looks (and feels) decent, particularly with the shiny PD Bayonet and Magazine attached.

Whether it's a good use of taxpayers money is another question, however this is what happens when you have loads of rifles and hardly any service personnel to use them, much better than just scrapping them in my opinion.

Archived