Airsoft 2.0 (invite to join will be closed 19/10/18)

Seth_Erebor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

12 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

Absolutely understandable, should you be convinced will you be able to assist?

Would i be able to? Possibly

Will i? No. Sorry its all far to vague to be interesting and a little strange that a first post/forum appearance is to pitch to people. A little bit baity really.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I’m saving that!

10 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

Eventually, at least the infrastructure will be there but that could be done now. 

How do you envision it?

Deep beath..... :D

"Independant and sponsored teams carrying a specified amount of players in each class battling it out in a combination of domination, conquest and objective games set in both day & night as either one on one team battles or 4 teams at a time at a purpose built arena."

Something like that...

• Supporters

@Wo1f 

05C41294-BAAD-472B-98F9-BDFA6A3E07F8.jpeg

19 minutes ago, shortman said:

Would i be able to? Possibly

Will i? No. Sorry its all far to vague to be interesting and a little strange that a first post/forum appearance is to pitch to people. A little bit baity really.

Well that’s a shame, you know where I am. 👍🏽

8 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Deep beath..... :D

"Independant and sponsored teams carrying a specified amount of players in each class battling it out in a combination of domination, conquest and objective games set in both day & night as either one on one team battles or 4 teams at a time at a purpose built arena."

Something like that...

Ok, we need to chat. 

• Supporters

As soon as you introduce ANY kind of reward for winning in to Airsofting (bar speed ball where it’s in a small enclosed arena that everyone can see what’s going on) the gameplay standard plummets and the foul play rockets always has always will , as it’s an ‘honor’ based game and there’s no way of telling if you’ve hit the other player or not , it’s the nature of the beast .

36 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

As soon as you introduce ANY kind of reward for winning in to Airsofting (bar speed ball where it’s in a small enclosed arena that everyone can see what’s going on) the gameplay standard plummets and the foul play rockets always has always will , as it’s an ‘honor’ based game and there’s no way of telling if you’ve hit the other player or not , it’s the nature of the beast .

I fear that @Druid799 is correct with this one. To be sure of honesty there would have to be some method of either confirming hits or monitoring fair play beyond what your average Marshall can do. Maybe something like laser quest but then you might as well play laser quest instead.

Don't get me wrong it would be nice to quit the day job and play Airsoft but I am not naive or dishonest enough to believe I would not to tempted to ‘ignore’ the inopportune hit when it was my mortgage on the line.

Genuinely hope you find a balance and make a success of this but I remain skeptical. 

Best of luck.

There is, in my eyes only one way of having a competitive Airsoft game. And that would be a time trial against a fixed home team who belongs to ‘the house’ and only has one life. You have an area and a fixed team that never changes. Competitive teams compete to complete a series of tasks/ objectives as quickly as possible. That way only one team needs to be marshalled. End of the year/ season times are put on a leaderboard to rank

24 minutes ago, YorkieT17 said:

I fear that @Druid799 is correct with this one. To be sure of honesty there would have to be some method of either confirming hits or monitoring fair play beyond what your average Marshall can do. Maybe something like laser quest but then you might as well play laser quest instead.

Don't get me wrong it would be nice to quit the day job and play Airsoft but I am not naive or dishonest enough to believe I would not to tempted to ‘ignore’ the inopportune hit when it was my mortgage on the line.

Genuinely hope you find a balance and make a success of this but I remain skeptical. 

Best of luck.

That’s been solved to some degree, but I can see why it presents a problem. 

People will cheat in any sport, diving, doping, etc

Sometimes the best you can do is catch them afterwards. 

This isn’t what I’m working on but the idea is nice. 

And thanks, I appreciate that 👍🏽

Theoretically it should be possible to detect a hit using a mic system on a player which only reacts to the particular sound wave of a BB strike.

It would have to 'learn' the various sounds of BB hits on various parts to get a kind of library.  Like face detection in cameras.

Some complex electronics but if they can analyse live video for facial features (and now pets) then sounds should be easier than that...

11 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Theoretically it might be possible to detect a hit using a mic system on a player which only reacts to the particular sound wave of a BB strike...

Interesting, we were exploring a different direction, capacitive sensors, but not to any great depth. 

Remember that second Batman film, with the 3D map of Gotham using smart phones, imagine one that refreshes so quickly it can “see” players and BBs all in real time. 

That would be impressive. 

I was approached a while back from a company that does optical tracking, but that only works in CQB. Yes, tracking a BB mid flight! I suggested we try something once the new bb design is finished, see what the limitations of the technology are and where it works best.  

The tech is developing but the customer has to be there, who is going to pay for it? No site will shell out 50k for that. 

Then again, build it and they will come, right?

Optical tracking isn’t too difficult until you apply it to something the size of a BB. There’s a few ways you can do it, but the only way I can see it being done in an Airsoft field is to have brightly coloured BB’s hand have pixel tracking set for that colour. You can design optical tracking based on a static background, but it’s impossible as far as I know to rule out a large object (a player) but detect a small object (the B.B.)

2 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Me: "This thread is popular, let's go and take a loo..."

zGHQb4O.gif

😂

11 hours ago, Druid799 said:

I know, what if you made the BBs bigger and fill them with paint.  😁😉

• Supporters

problem with paintballs is if they're tough enough to survive the force of firing and going through the hop unit they'll be too tough to burst on a target at extended range, which is the primary domain of the cheater.

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, MisterG said:

I know, what if you made the BBs bigger and fill them with paint.  😁😉

OMG ! Why has no one thoug.... oh they already have ! 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

mic’s and tracking cameras are all very good in open country but once you chuck woodland in the mix there going to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard ?😳

I can see televising Airsoft might be a idea but only if you had fun and energetic players. Not for the competitive aspect but for the entertainment.

I think competitive Airsoft will always be plagued by huge issues.

(Also this thread has been hilarious, keep it up lads :) )

13 minutes ago, Game Cam said:

I can see televising Airsoft might be a idea but only if you had fun and energetic players. Not for the competitive aspect but for the entertainment.

I think competitive Airsoft will always be plagued by huge issues.

(Also this thread has been hilarious, keep it up lads :) )

How do you define fun and energetic within Airsoft? 

Animated deaths? Big personalities and epic plays?

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

Sarcasm one of the corner stones of Airsoft ,always good for a laugh ? 

5 minutes ago, Seth_K said:

Well fun is a very personal thing but I always think of fun Airsoft as when people give in more to the fact that they are grown men running around with toy guns.

I think if you are gonna televise it, it's gonna be more what's entertaining.

Animated deaths are more entertaining than just putting your hand up, I have been in fits of laugher after I hit someone and he went into a Oscar winner piece with a medic.

Teamwork is always very satisfying to watch from coordinated sweep of a building to a well done flank so having players that work together would help.

Variety and aesthetic gear would also help make it more interesting to watch so having players with all different guns and uniforms (WW2 to Sci-fi).

Big personalities.... Eh. I mean just having folk that talk and are slightly likeable would be enough, folk are gonna watch for the pew more than the character drama.

I think you would have to have game modes that are interesting and varied. Adding in some people playing VIPs or villagers would add in more variables.

Epic plays would be great but I think as long as it doesn't get stale and stay interesting it should be fine.

I mean if I was doing it and REALLY wanted it to do well. I would be tempted to go down the WWE route and have everything pre planned and just have actors being players.

But anyway that's just off the top of my head. I don't think TV would do that well since you can just watch stuff on YouTube.

• Supporters

Hmmm me definitely detecting the presence of Male bovine feces ?  🤔

Archived