Buying first battery and charger

Cral
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey,

I'm looking to buy a battery and charger for my first airsoft rifle, the Classic Army Scarab ABR I just ordered. It comes with a mosfet and deans connector, and the battery fits in a long compartment in the front stock (useful video on the rifle here). The rifle apparently shuts off automatically if the battery gets low to prevent issues with draining it completely. After shopping around I'm thinking about getting the following:

IMAX B6AC V2 charger

HTRC 15V 6A AC Adapter Power supply

Turnigy nano-tech 1000mAh 3S 20~40C Lipo AIRSOFT Pack(T-connector)

I chose the battery as Classic Army recommend a 7.4v/11.1v 20C battery (I found this information here but couldn't find it on the CA site anywhere), and this was one of very few I could find that comes with a deans connector by default. My one concern with it is it's listed as "20C Constant / 40C Burst", and I'm not sure if that's suitable for a rifle that's supposedly best with a 20C battery (25 max) but maybe it's totally fine, I don't know. The battery also seems like it has quite a low mAh value, but I couldn't find any higher that didn't also have a higher discharge value. I guess that means I'll need to buy at least two for a full day of airsoft.

Should I go with the above or does anyone have any better recommendations? I've seen a lot of good reviews for the charger so my main concern is the battery.

Thanks for any help.

Guest Lord Elpus

Personally I would run that on a 11.1v and the biggest one I could find to fit in the battery compartment, it already has electronic trigger, so no probs power.

I run most of my fast guns on 11.1's all mosfetted, and have had no problems at all, but don't let me influence you, you do what you think is right for you.

Andy

24 minutes ago, Lord Elpus said:

Personally I would run that on a 11.1v and the biggest one I could find to fit in the battery compartment, it already has electronic trigger, so no probs power.

I run most of my fast guns on 11.1's all mosfetted, and have had no problems at all, but don't let me influence you, you do what you think is right for you.

Andy

Thanks for the help. Yeah that battery I linked is an 11.1v, definitely something I want for that better trigger response, though it's a little small as I couldn't find anything bigger that's still 20C with a deans connector, which is supposedly what's recommended by Classic Army (mentioned in the 'range-time' section). I couldn't find anything official stating that so it might be incorrect, hopefully the manual that comes with the rifle has more information. It sounds like switching from a mini-tamiya connector to deans isn't that much work either so I could always find a better battery with the wrong connector and swap it out.

It'll be good to get a look at the battery space once I have the rifle, hopefully I can get something a bit bigger as you say so I don't have to worry about the battery dying at a critical point, since airsoft is serious business after all!

Guest Lord Elpus

On a few of my guns, when the battery compartment is too small, I fit a dummy peq box on the gun somewhere, I can fit a nice big 2000Mah lipo in one of them,.......lasts for ages!

Guest Lord Elpus

Forgot to say, try the component shop for your battery, you can get deans fitted batt's from there, if your not sure you can do it yourself.

6 hours ago, Lord Elpus said:

On a few of my guns, when the battery compartment is too small, I fit a dummy peq box on the gun somewhere, I can fit a nice big 2000Mah lipo in one of them,.......lasts for ages!

5 hours ago, Lord Elpus said:

Forgot to say, try the component shop for your battery, you can get deans fitted batt's from there, if your not sure you can do it yourself.

Thanks for the advice. My battery compartment is in the front stock so a peq box would work nicely, though I've been looking for a 2000+ mAh lipo and they're all 25C+, which according to the manual is too high. There are a couple of 1300 ones on the component shop though so I might grab one of those next.

• Head Moderator

The iMax B6 charger is the one recommended by many here.  A balance charger helps keep your battery healthy, and allows you to put a storage charge into the battery when not using them.  There are several topics about them, you can search on the term "imax".

Guest Lord Elpus

The C rating that the manual gives, is a guide, if it says "20 C" rating, going up to "25C" is not going to cause any problems at all, if your not razzing your gun to death, by emptying mag after mag.

Short burst firing is a lot better, you'll not be over-heating the motor, wiring connections, etc. I don't even check C ratings most time, and I don't have any problems even with stock motors.

3 hours ago, Lord Elpus said:

The C rating that the manual gives, is a guide, if it says "20 C" rating, going up to "25C" is not going to cause any problems at all, if your not razzing your gun to death, by emptying mag after mag.

Short burst firing is a lot better, you'll not be over-heating the motor, wiring connections, etc. I don't even check C ratings most time, and I don't have any problems even with stock motors.

Ah cool, I was hoping that would be the case since it would be odd that a fairly decent rifle can't run anything higher when it seems everyone in airsoft is using 2000mAh+ batteries.

4 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

The iMax B6 charger is the one recommended by many here.  A balance charger helps keep your battery healthy, and allows you to put a storage charge into the battery when not using them.  There are several topics about them, you can search on the term "imax".

Thanks, yeah I've seen this charger recommended pretty much everywhere I look, it seems to be the standard.

Archived