G36c a good starter aeg?

Valentine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just getting into airsoft an decided on a g36c with full umbrella corps style load out, is the cyma cm011 a good choice? I know there are probably better ones but that is in my price range 

• Supporters

The JG G36 is a good beginner rifle. You should look into that as it's in your price bracket. 

It's rather irritating because there are 2 I like the look of in the classifieds here but being a new player means I don't have my ukara registration yet so I can't prove a defence worthy of buying one of those

Takes no time to gain a UKARA really, most people have to do it. Just enjoy the games you play whilst obtaining it.

And given you want a G36 then consider using a rental till you get the ukara as most places use G36 as rentals so win win.

Trouble is I really don't want to waste cash on hire guns for 2 months so two tone seems to be pretty much the only way to go, wish I knew patrol base class Halo Mill as enough evidence as that's not too far from me and I wouldn't mind hiring for 1 event but 2 or 3 times a month will start to add up and cut into my already tight gun budget

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Valentine said:

Trouble is I really don't want to waste cash on hire guns for 2 months so two tone seems to be pretty much the only way to go, wish I knew patrol base class Halo Mill as enough evidence as that's not too far from me and I wouldn't mind hiring for 1 event but 2 or 3 times a month will start to add up and cut into my already tight gun budget

At <£30 per game that's still less than what you'd pay for a two tone and you'd actually get to play. Perhaps you'd try out another gun on the field and decide you fancy that instead? 

Lots of rental sites use G36s so there's a good chance you'd get to try one out. Besides.. two tones look like trash. :lol:

I've tried a friend's g&g cm16 raider s, that's a nice gun but it's not really me if that makes any sense, after a little shopping around it was a choice between a ak47 and the g36c, finally settled on the G36 platform as I'm mostly going to be going to cqb sites at first and that seems better suited for that environment, I'll probably pick up an ak once I start going to bigger outdoor events though

The thing about buying a two tone is that it's more or less dead money. Now in fairness there is always the same argument when it comes to renting but during the time period you're renting you don't have to worry about faults developing or anything along those lines.

The big advantage to renting is that it gives you the opportunity to get to know your local community and as a knock on effect (in theory anyway) gain the opportunity to talk to people about their guns and experiences. This presents a chance to handle a wider array of guns, even if it's just someone being kind enough to let you shoulder it in the safe zone. These opportunities also allow you to strike guns off your list of potentials (such as your experience with the CM16).

If you're worried about spending significant amounts of cash in renting then the best advice I can give is to space out your games a bit, I know it sucks but, being brutally honest here, so does two tone.

At the end of the day it's your call but I'd always argue (as would many others) that you're best exercising patience to obtain what you really want, as opposed to rushing and just settling.

edit: As an additional note regarding to your focus on CQC and gun selection. Admittedly there will be guns which are stronger and weaker under different circumstances but there are AK variants which are brilliant for CQC. Also, just as an example, I've seen a guy at the main site I frequent use a full size G3 with success, it's just about knowing your weapon and recognising how to apply it best.

1 minute ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

The thing about buying a two tone is that it's more or less dead money. Now in fairness there is always the same argument when it comes to renting but during the time period you're renting you don't have to worry about faults developing or anything along those lines.

The big advantage to renting is that it gives you the opportunity to get to know your local community and as a knock on effect (in theory anyway) gain the opportunity to talk to people about their guns and experiences. This presents a chance to handle a wider array of guns, even if it's just someone being kind enough to let you shoulder it in the safe zone. These opportunities also allow you to strike guns off your list of potentials (such as your experience with the CM16).

If you're worried about spending significant amounts of cash in renting then the best advice I can give is to space out your games a bit, I know it sucks but, being brutally honest here, so does two tone.

At the end of the day it's your call but I'd always argue (as would many others) that you're best exercising patience to obtain what you really want, as opposed to rushing and just settling.

Completely agree with this. I held out and got what I wanted after my third game. I didn't want to throw money away on a two tone that I would never use again after I got my first RIF

Surely I'm covered as an active skirmishers to paint over the two tone after my 2 months though? It's not an ideal scenario true but knowing me the money I have aside at the moment will end up getting swallowed over the 2 months if I choose to wait

16 minutes ago, Valentine said:

Surely I'm covered as an active skirmishers to paint over the two tone after my 2 months though? It's not an ideal scenario true but knowing me the money I have aside at the moment will end up getting swallowed over the 2 months if I choose to wait

It's very hard to attain a high quality finish over a two tone finish, especially when dealing with Polymer guns (someone correct me here if I'm wrong). There's an example in the classifieds at the moment of a two tone  S&T G36C which has been resprayed and you can see that the finish on it is very poor with paint bubbling noticeably. Now you can argue that the chaps not painted it correctly, be it down to technique or poor quality paint, but at the end of the day it can still be an absolute pain to go over and achieve a decent finish, or even an acceptable and enduring finish.

It is of course your decision at the end of the day.

Out of curiosity what was the date of your first game? How many games have you played so far? How much is the site fee for the game itself and what's the rental fee? In the interest of being transparent and honest, if renting will consume your entire budget I'd suggest that it's very likely airsoft will not be a sustainable hobby for you. Admittedly the buy in can be steep but bear in mind you'll have to buy various accessories/peripherals in addition to whichever gun you end up buying. You're going to be investing in at least one battery (maybe two?), a decent charger, a carry case (ok, soft bags aren't hugely expensive), magazines (if you don't want to run hi-caps)... I'm also assuming you have some decent eye protection (you really don't want to cheap out here, you only get one set of eyes) and some lower face protection (dentist bills will cost you a lot more), as these are other cost considerations if you're relying on stuff provided through rental.

I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just trying to be frank, so please don't take this as an attack or anything along those lines. I'm just trying to help out and make you fully aware.

7 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

It's very hard to attain a high quality finish over a two tone finish, especially when dealing with Polymer guns (someone correct me here if I'm wrong). There's an example in the classifieds at the moment of a two tone  S&T G36C which has been resprayed and you can see that the finish on it is very poor with paint bubbling noticeably. Now you can argue that the chaps not painted it correctly, be it down to technique or poor quality paint, but at the end of the day it can still be an absolute pain to go over and achieve a decent finish, or even an acceptable and enduring finish.

It is of course your decision at the end of the day.

Out of curiosity what was the date of your first game? How many games have you played so far? How much is the site fee for the game itself and what's the rental fee? In the interest of being transparent and honest, if renting will consume your entire budget I'd suggest that it's very likely airsoft will not be a sustainable hobby for you. Admittedly the buy in can be steep but bear in mind you'll have to buy various accessories/peripherals in addition to whichever gun you end up buying. You're going to be investing in at least one battery (maybe two?), a decent charger, a carry case (ok, soft bags aren't hugely expensive), magazines (if you don't want to run hi-caps)... I'm also assuming you have some decent eye protection (you really don't want to cheap out here, you only get one set of eyes) and some lower face protection (dentist bills will cost you a lot more), as these are other cost considerations if you're relying on stuff provided through rental.

I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just trying to be frank, so please don't take this as an attack or anything along those lines. I'm just trying to help out and make you fully aware.

Yeah I know the site fees are not bad, certainly within affordable limits even with gun hire as that wouldn't add much I just know money tends to vanish from my account faster than I can put it back most of the time but I happen to have a couple of hundred coming back at me to throw at a half decent gun, there are a few in the classifieds aside from the overpriced dogfood version that looks dodgy even without the warnings one it but the pre toned blue one looks decent, I believe it's an s&t licenced by H&k so they just got a message, as for painting it's a tricky thing to get the hang of but I have resprayed a few of my old bikes before, the trick is all in the prep that other guy has obviously just thrown a load of chemicals on a rag and gone at it with little or no thought on the matter, pretty sure my 6 year old daughter could do a better job than that 😏

• Supporters

G36 is a perfectly reasonable platform.  If you're buying  2-tone from PatrolBase, the JG G608 G36C is £10 less than the CYMA, which is the added price of your 2-tone right there.

That said, my CYMA M4 worked better than my JG G36C out of the box.  But I haven't tried a CYMA G36, and am perfectly willing to accept that I got a lemon Jing Gong, and chances are if you get one, it'll be fine.

tl;dr version - if you want a two tone G36, then anything that PatrolBase has in stock at the time of writing will be good.

Archived