Sniper rifle recommendation

KEV.I.N
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening all, I recently purchased an ASG L96 sniper rifle but I'm finding that upgrade parts are hard to come by. Also noticed from new I don't have a complete air seal hop up side. 

I'm now thinking is there a better cheap starter sniper rifle out there that can take a few upgrades flung into it. 

If I do decide that playing a sniper is definitely for me I will then purchase a decent rifle that should last me a while. 

Right.  Stop there before you throw the ASG L96 to the wind.

Firstly, the ASG L96 is based off the well known, and renown Well MB01. A good solid starter sniper rifle. You can find parts here:

https://www.airsoftsniperparts.com/asg-aw-308

(Edit: noticed a lot of parts are out of stock, might be worth researching Action Army upgrade parts, specially their hop unit)

My first sniper rifle was a Well MB01. It was preowned. And had a ton of issues. I had to work out the kinks from the ground up.

All sniper rifles are not 100% perfect out of the box. Some perform more adequate than others. Hell, even my SRS Silverback Sportline had issues off the bat!

Next, go here, and read through thoroughly:

https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/57-type96/6465-advanced-l96-sniper-upgrade-guide.html

Plenty of good information to absorb. And learn from. Its what I used and helped me massively.

With the right upgrades, your ASG 308 will make a good little rifle!

17 minutes ago, PT247 said:

Go VSR, far better starter rifle. Although an AEG is 99% of the time a better option for new players.

I should mention I'm not a new player😊, new sniper though😂

7 minutes ago, Cipher-032 said:

Right.  Stop there before you throw the ASG L96 to the wind.

Firstly, the ASG L96 is based off the well known, and renown Well MB01. A good solid starter sniper rifle. You can find parts here:

https://www.airsoftsniperparts.com/asg-aw-308

(Edit: noticed a lot of parts are out of stock, might be worth researching Action Army upgrade parts, specially their hop unit)

My first sniper rifle was a Well MB01. It was preowned. And had a ton of issues. I had to work out the kinks from the ground up.

All sniper rifles are not 100% perfect out of the box. Some perform more adequate than others. Hell, even my SRS Silverback Sportline had issues off the bat!

Next, go here, and read through thoroughly:

https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/57-type96/6465-advanced-l96-sniper-upgrade-guide.html

Plenty of good information to absorb. And learn from. Its what I used and helped me massively.

With the right upgrades, your ASG 308 will make a good little rifle!

Excellent I'll have a look. 

Not throwing to the wind just yet, if I can find what I'm looking for I'm more than happy to stick with it for the time being. 

Just very little info out there on them but for I will read at the links you've supplied 👌

• Supporters

56 minutes ago, Cipher-032 said:

Firstly, the ASG L96 is based off the well known, and renown Well MB01

sorry bud but you do realise that ASG don’t actually make anything them selves don’t you ? 

They buy everything in from who ever (usually Chinese cloner’s) and just sticks ASG on every thing .

its more than likely that Well were the OEM of it so it probably is an MB01 ! 🤦‍♂️

Always do your research when it comes to buying something new.  Check for upgrade parts and read reviews before parting with any cash....

2 hours ago, Dino said:

Always do your research when it comes to buying something new.  Check for upgrade parts and read reviews before parting with any cash....

I usually do if I'm being honest. Was just a good deal the day I bought it🙄

On 12/10/2018 at 23:17, Druid799 said:

sorry bud but you do realise that ASG don’t actually make anything them selves don’t you ? 

They buy everything in from who ever (usually Chinese cloner’s) and just sticks ASG on every thing .

its more than likely that Well were the OEM of it so it probably is an MB01 ! 🤦‍♂️

Yep your 100% right, Ive just worded it poorly. The only reason why I said it was "based" is that the bolt has a cocking indicator, where the MB01 does not.

Let's start by saying that cheap sniper rifles need a ton of work straight out of the box..

Most of them come at ludicrous power but pretty much zero accuracy and consistency..

The gun itself isn't a bad base to start with, although upgrades may not be as easily obtainable as VSR parts..

First things first, get a consistent gun:

Eliminate any air leak, tear apart the gun and clean any excess grease (there will be plenty in Chinese guns), check the o-rings, replace them if needed..

To the hop chamber/nozzle, if there's any leak try to wrap a few layers of teflon tape, it does really work wonders!

Then check the hop rubber, check the nub and how everything lines up.. Clean up the barrel and check if it's straight..

If you're planning of putting a huge stiff af spring in there, replace the whole trigger box with something more durable like a zero trigger..

You may be wanting to look at the lrb barrel mod, a nice aluminum piston and a sorbo pad glued to the piston head to reduce noise.. Get a couple of barrel spacers to avoid unnecessary vibrations when firing..

Stuff the stock (where possible) and the void between the inner and outer barrel with foam to further reduce noise..

And for God's sake use the heaviest WHITE bbs you can find.. It's easier to compensate and to be fair people rarely look for that one bb.. And if they manage to spot you you've done something wrong to begin with ;)

On 12/10/2018 at 23:17, Druid799 said:

I didn't know this🤔. Well every day is a school day👍.

10 hours ago, Skara said:

Let's start by saying that cheap sniper rifles need a ton of work straight out of the box..

Most of them come at ludicrous power but pretty much zero accuracy and consistency..

The gun itself isn't a bad base to start with, although upgrades may not be as easily obtainable as VSR parts..

First things first, get a consistent gun:

Eliminate any air leak, tear apart the gun and clean any excess grease (there will be plenty in Chinese guns), check the o-rings, replace them if needed..

To the hop chamber/nozzle, if there's any leak try to wrap a few layers of teflon tape, it does really work wonders!

Then check the hop rubber, check the nub and how everything lines up.. Clean up the barrel and check if it's straight..

If you're planning of putting a huge stiff af spring in there, replace the whole trigger box with something more durable like a zero trigger..

You may be wanting to look at the lrb barrel mod, a nice aluminum piston and a sorbo pad glued to the piston head to reduce noise.. Get a couple of barrel spacers to avoid unnecessary vibrations when firing..

Stuff the stock (where possible) and the void between the inner and outer barrel with foam to further reduce noise..

And for God's sake use the heaviest WHITE bbs you can find.. It's easier to compensate and to be fair people rarely look for that one bb.. And if they manage to spot you you've done something wrong to begin with ;)

Ok thanks for the information. I will take a look into the stuff you have mentioned. 

In all honesty I just wanted a starter rifle to get me into sniping, I wasn't expecting to much for the price. If all goes well I will buy a better platform for upgrades as it seems there is better options than mine👍.

• Supporters

If your looking for good affordable sniper you can crack on with without a lot needed doing to it , this mite work for you .

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/spring/mb4404a-well-tgg?from=listing&campaign-id=19

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Druid799 said:

If your looking for good affordable sniper you can crack on with without a lot needed doing to it , this mite work for you .

Why that one in particular?  The Well MB-03 is cheaper, will shoot at much the same random FPS (mine was about 400 out of the box), and has a larger capacity, but physically smaller (and cheaper) magazine.  I imagine they'll both have the same novelty-purposes-only hop unit, unless you know differently.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Why that one in particular?  The Well MB-03 is cheaper, will shoot at much the same random FPS (mine was about 400 out of the box), and has a larger capacity, but physically smaller (and cheaper) magazine.  I imagine they'll both have the same novelty-purposes-only hop unit, unless you know differently.

I’ve used one , was nice and consistent on the FPS and the accuracy was surprisingly very good considering it’s a cloner nock off of god knows what .

thats why I recommended it . 

21 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Looks not to bad, how is this company for ordering from?

I've heard it mentioned but never thought about asking. 

• Supporters

TaiwanGun is fine, I've not had any problems ordering from them.  And I'm not bagging on the MB4404A, just wondering if the internals are any different to the MB03.  I'm pretty happy with my Well, in the sense that it worked OK out of the box, and is a cheap platform for upgrading.  Just don't expect to get a good one that shoots to YouTube sniper-celeb standards, although you may get lucky.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

TaiwanGun is fine, I've not had any problems ordering from them.  And I'm not bagging on the MB4404A, just wondering if the internals are any different to the MB03.  I'm pretty happy with my Well, in the sense that it worked OK out of the box, and is a cheap platform for upgrading.  Just don't expect to get a good one that shoots to YouTube sniper-celeb standards, although you may get lucky.

Didn’t think you were bud , I’ve seen PLENTY of lemons with that name on them as well ! But I think like your self I try to speak from personal experience if I can and not the “my brothers mates uncles cousins dog walker said there shit so they must be !” Like so many do on the net so all I can say is I had one for about 7mths (sniping and a very low boredom threshold don’t go well together! 🤦‍♂️) and I was very happy with its performance.👍

23 minutes ago, KEV.I.N said:

Looks not to bad, how is this company for ordering from?

I've heard it mentioned but never thought about asking. 

Taiwan Gun are golden as far as I’m concerned (again speaking from personal experience) over 2yrs of basically only buying everything bar ammo from them , I’ve never had a single problem with my orders .

yes it can be a bit of a ball ache as there based in Poland but I’m happy with them . 

Guest Lord Elpus

Vsr all the way for me, I have 6 of them, I do like a bolt action pellet popper! Not a lot of difference from each other on the clone front, all bits inter-change for the most part, and the widest range of upgrades.

The do all suffer from a crappy aluminium cylinder which won't last long. I do have a few other types, but the vsr fits so well to the shoulder, to me anyway.

I have had good results from Taiwan gun too, and from gunfire pl.

Andy

9 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Good to hear, how about postage times?

I've had a look through their site and not bad for airsoft kit. 

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, KEV.I.N said:

Good to hear, how about postage times?

Generally a week, i.e. order Sunday night or early Monday, get it on Friday.  Not as snappy as UK sellers, but I've not had a problem from them yet either.

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Generally a week, i.e. order Sunday night or early Monday, get it on Friday.  Not as snappy as UK sellers, but I've not had a problem from them yet either.

Yup I always seem to be ordering at the end of the wk and get my orders on thur or Fri , which when you think about it is lot better than most UK retailers service , so considering there in Poland that’s a bloody good show from them and a really crap one from the UK retailers . Plus on the whole even when you factor in the P&P cost of £12 (which is only just over twice the amount a lot of UK sellers charge ) you still usually save a fair bit on the GB price . 

Archived