Need help from someone with a threadmaker (WE M92 Mag)

Dalsu
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The threads on my mag have cross threaded. I need help from someone with a Tap and die set (threadmaker). I would pay for postage there and back and also for the service. 

Would really appreciate the help and any advice.

Thank you.

20181011_183222.jpg

20181011_183246.jpg

To be honest for the price of postage you can pick up a cheap tap and die set. 

On 11/10/2018 at 21:58, Dalsu said:

Yeah i know, but I dont know if ill do a good job of it, honestly im looking for anyone who knows how to fix these sorts of things as im clueless on how to do it

Your best bet for this is to find a machine shop or something near you as that's quite a large thread and not a common one at that. Is there no way of trying to clean out the threads with a knife or something then trying to gently thread the cap in to clean the threads some more ?

A cheap tap and die set won't do it.

Threads are not a singular fixed measurement. There are various thread pitches, as well as metric and several imperial standards.

Metric threads are set on 2 variables. The width of the hole or shank, and the distance between each tooth on the thread (pitch). For a standard metric thread you have a table of figures that tell you exactly the pitch to shank/hole relationship.

The trouble been that is not a standard thread pitch by the looks.

It looks to be about M12 but it also looks to be 1.25mm pitch rather than the standard 1.75mm pitch at that diameter.

Now you might think that would be your answer... But you are wrong. 1/2inch imperial standard fine (UNF) could also be pretty close, and if you run the wrong tap and die set you will bugger it up royally.

Since you don't know the thread or the diameter of the fitting, and you don't know if it's metric or imperial you need a tool that tells you these things, You can't just buy a stock tap and die set.

Threads can be totally convoluted, A single metric 12mm shank may have up to 5 thread pitches. 12x 0.75/1/1.25/1.5/1.75 So it's just not worth the risk of going in blind.

The tool you need first is a thread gauge. Preferably one that does metric and imperial. You are not looking for a near match on the thread pitch you are looking for a perfect match. Once you have the perfect thread pitch you then select the hole part on the same scale (metric or imperial) and get the hole size. Using the male part is easier than trying to work in the hole.

With these 2 numbers you can then go and get the correct set of tap and dies for that exact fitting.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/gunson-77106-universal-thread-gauge/

image.png.932b2c1ffb1dc64628992a06d3eff592.png

If you run a few of these mags having the set is quite valuable. And the thread gauges are very useful. Lost screw? - you can measure one of the others and order the exact same part as a replacement. It takes all of the guesswork away from replacing screws on your guns.

Archived