Wrapping your RIF

GemsHD
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hola amigos,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with wrapping their RIF like a car would be wrapped?

I've taken on a project that I would like to finish with a nice carbon fibre wrap.

Any advice would be great.

• Supporters

Seen it done a good few times , and the ones I’ve seen looked absolutely shit ! Bloody terrible all of them ! I think the problem is unless it’s somthing slab sided like an AA12 then there’s far too many angles and shapes on a gun so you’ve got crease lines and cut edges all over the place . Saying that though hydro dipping does work really well on guns , just as long as it’s done by someone whonows what there doing ! 😉

• Supporters

Me personally I think your better off paying to get it done professionally, I did look in to having a go my self as the film is relatively cheap but the cost starts climbing with all the ‘sundries’ you need to get , soon starts mounting up .

I've dipped a few things now and I have some lovely carbon fiber hydrographic film just itching to get used.

What is it you're wanting the carbon fiber effect applying to, could you post a photo?

Simple shapes are dead easy to dip, other things such as the last 10/22 stock i dipped (in real tree camo) are a little bit more technical, certain things like the piece that the pistol grip screws into make the angles a little more known as difficult therefore I did what is a "50/50" or a "double" dip, where you do half, then the other half - meeting in the middle.

I don't have any photos of my most recent dips but I have this of my G18 slide (really easy to dip because of the simplicity of the shape)

IMG_6844.JPG

IMG_6845.JPG

IMG_6847.JPG

54 minutes ago, callumbagshaw said:

I've dipped a few things now and I have some lovely carbon fiber hydrographic film just itching to get used.

What is it you're wanting the carbon fiber effect applying to, could you post a photo?

Simple shapes are dead easy to dip, other things such as the last 10/22 stock i dipped (in real tree camo) are a little bit more technical, certain things like the piece that the pistol grip screws into make the angles a little more known as difficult therefore I did what is a "50/50" or a "double" dip, where you do half, then the other half - meeting in the middle.

I don't have any photos of my most recent dips but I have this of my G18 slide (really easy to dip because of the simplicity of the shape)

IMG_6844.JPG

IMG_6845.JPG

IMG_6847.JPG

That looks bloody amazing! It's the body of a TM M40A5.

I asked a local business about the cost and they're charging me £150-200 so that's a no no

1 hour ago, sniperslucky said:

nice dip, does it scratch much after use

I haven't taken it on the field yet, but there's a good few layers of topcoat on there so it'll last as long as the topcoat does - same as any custom paint job really I'd imagine.

Pulling it in and out of a retention holster will probably do the most damage to the finish I guess.

24 minutes ago, GemsHD said:

That looks bloody amazing! It's the body of a TM M40A5.

I asked a local business about the cost and they're charging me £150-200 so that's a no no

PM me dude, if you do the dismantling and were to send me JUST the abs plastic body we might be able to reach an agreement a lot cheaper than that xD

One of the things with hydrodipping is you NEVER get a 100% perfect finish. most people can't spot the blemishes but the person who dipped it can see the flaws.

Even the top end pro dippers will normally airbrush it after to touch it up, I don't have an airbrushing setup so if I get any defects I fill in gaps by hand, I'll get some photos of the 10/22 stock I did as soon as I can,  that's quite similar to the m40A5 stock.

Archived