Disabled Players Equipment

Delta5630

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

there was a thread on here a while back with a fella wanting advice on how to play with 1 arm.

the equipment is going to vary wildly based on the specific disability, and i'd imagine anyone with a disability is going to do what the rest of us do in terms of just cobbling, bodging and manufacturing a setup that works for them.

• Head Moderator

A quick search on "disabled" has this topic:

And this

The search tool has a 3 character minimum length, will need to try different search terms and see what results there are.

There was another thread somewhere with someone who converted an electric wheelchair into a tank.

if you would give us a bit more information on how you are disabled and how you get about normally physically intensive activities, we would best be able to help you :)

just checked out the video @Rogerborg added of the fella in the wheelchair, that's awesome!!!

The sport should be as inclusive as possible and all parties involved (players, site owners, retailers and manufacturers) should all do their best to make it so.

One thing I'd say about the wheelchair guy is that a "red dead" piece of cloth or flag in his pocket might do him some favours - that way when he's hit he can drape that round his shoulders and move away (as it takes both his hands to move the chair in a straight line) - then he won't get overkilled by people thinking he's still in-game.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, callumbagshaw said:

just checked out the video @Rogerborg added of the fella in the wheelchair, that's awesome!!!

The sport should be as inclusive as possible and all parties involved (players, site owners, retailers and manufacturers) should all do their best to make it so.

One thing I'd say about the wheelchair guy is that a "red dead" piece of cloth or flag in his pocket might do him some favours - that way when he's hit he can drape that round his shoulders and move away (as it takes both his hands to move the chair in a straight line) - then he won't get overkilled by people thinking he's still in-game.

i'd wager he probably doesn't get overkilled too much, you'd have to be a special kind of knob to do that.

possibly they could structure games to have the wheelchair as a "juggernaut", maybe a tag system so he just fights for whichever team tags him but can't ever be killed.

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'd wager he probably doesn't get overkilled too much, you'd have to be a special kind of knob to do that.

possibly they could structure games to have the wheelchair as a "juggernaut", maybe a tag system so he just fights for whichever team tags him but can't ever be killed.

maybe overkill was the wrong choice of phrase.

If he's hit and moving to a safe spot, someone else on the enemy team may think he's still in-game and shoot him again, this could happen as many times as there are enemy players.

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, callumbagshaw said:

maybe overkill was the wrong choice of phrase.

If he's hit and moving to a safe spot, someone else on the enemy team may think he's still in-game and shoot him again, this could happen as many times as there are enemy players.

true, i imagine they maybe have some way of sorting it, perhaps he has a siren or somesuch.

On 09/10/2018 at 19:31, Adolf Hamster said:

there was a thread on here a while back with a fella wanting advice on how to play with 1 arm.

the equipment is going to vary wildly based on the specific disability, and i'd imagine anyone with a disability is going to do what the rest of us do in terms of just cobbling, bodging and manufacturing a setup that works for them.

^^^

this is bang on realy, as posted by jedi i asked a long time back for my brother, and he has since played a good few times inc an afuk mall game a year or two back. We just bodge stuff or try things out if it works great if it doesnt we bin it off and try other things. Id go it to more detail but i think the op has tripped over thier keyboard wire and died by the lack of response.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters
On 11/10/2018 at 08:44, callumbagshaw said:

As noble as the idea is (and it is , I’d love everyone who wants to have a go to be able too) even if manufacturers did start releasing equipment for the disabled to take part by the very nature of the sport it isn’t really that disability friendly when you think about it .

Outdoor/woodland ;

you’ve got structures/obstacles /uneven ground/dense undergrowth/low hanging bushes&trees and multiple terrain variations in a relatively small area .

CQB ;

Most are in disused industrial sites on multiple levels which have lots of hazards to anyone with even minimal movement , spatial awareness or disability problems .

Plus you’ve got the game play it’s self , which from experience I find at outdoor games is quite mobile around the site so unless the player is happy with more of a ‘static’ role in the game then there’s a good chance you could feel ‘left behind’.

CQB even if the site is physical disability friendly (like Strikeforce in Gloucester for example , one huge single level area) it’s still an incredibly fast paced game and unless you can move quickly then again you will miss out on the action due to it being so ‘fluid’ around the venue , plus with both types of sites you’ve more than likely going to have problems just getting to the site before you’ve even started the warm up game ! 

Whilst the strikeforce gamezone is disability friendly to access it you still need to be able to walk up a fire escape stairwell as its on the first floor , and i can’t remember ever going to a woodland site that had a proper car park with hard standing and metalled walkways to the safezone .

• Supporters
On 04/12/2018 at 16:01, Delta5630 said:

Im trying to make something for people with injuryed or disabled hands for my Tech NEA

Then that's commendable, and I apologise for my testiness.  Most such threads are started by marketing students who will never contribute anything meaningful to the world if they live to be a hundred and fifty.

Hand / arm injuries or just weakness is a good shout.  The cheapest steadicam style vest and arm that I can find is over £250.  Reckon you could knock something up for less that could be used with an airsoft gun?

On 04/12/2018 at 19:38, Druid799 said:

As noble as the idea is (and it is , I’d love everyone who wants to have a go to be able too) even if manufacturers did start releasing equipment for the disabled to take part by the very nature of the sport it isn’t really that disability friendly when you think about it .

Outdoor/woodland ;

you’ve got structures/obstacles /uneven ground/dense undergrowth/low hanging bushes&trees and multiple terrain variations in a relatively small area .

CQB ;

Most are in disused industrial sites on multiple levels which have lots of hazards to anyone with even minimal movement , spatial awareness or disability problems .

Plus you’ve got the game play it’s self , which from experience I find at outdoor games is quite mobile around the site so unless the player is happy with more of a ‘static’ role in the game then there’s a good chance you could feel ‘left behind’.

CQB even if the site is physical disability friendly (like Strikeforce in Gloucester for example , one huge single level area) it’s still an incredibly fast paced game and unless you can move quickly then again you will miss out on the action due to it being so ‘fluid’ around the venue , plus with both types of sites you’ve more than likely going to have problems just getting to the site before you’ve even started the warm up game ! 

Whilst the strikeforce gamezone is disability friendly to access it you still need to be able to walk up a fire escape stairwell as its on the first floor , and i can’t remember ever going to a woodland site that had a proper car park with hard standing and metalled walkways to the safezone .

I'd rather have a guy in a wheelchair watching my back who is mentally aware, than some of the 9 y/o kids I've played with who's awareness is NULL. 

With that said though, inclusiveness should not be solely focused on those who are physically disabled.

I agree that making airsoft inclusive is more difficult than a lot of other activities, however the reasons you've mentioned almost come across like the idea of inclusiveness is to make an even playing field for those with disability. Unfortunately that would never be the case, for example, someone in a wheelchair is  nearly always going to be at a disadvantage even on the most inclusive airsoft site. That might make them a less proficient player than the average able bodied person...

Does that mean that sites shouldn't do their best to encourage them to come along and play? Absolutely not. Turning up and playing airsoft, in my opinion, has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to win, it's about getting away from screens and the monotony of every day life and going outside to have fun with your mates!

At the end of the day we're grown men holding toy guns, if someone else (able bodied or otherwise) can enjoy that as much as I do, I say game on! 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, callumbagshaw said:

I'd rather have a guy in a wheelchair watching my back who is mentally aware, than some of the 9 y/o kids I've played with who's awareness is NULL. 

With that said though, inclusiveness should not be solely focused on those who are physically disabled.

I agree that making airsoft inclusive is more difficult than a lot of other activities, however the reasons you've mentioned almost come across like the idea of inclusiveness is to make an even playing field for those with disability. Unfortunately that would never be the case, for example, someone in a wheelchair is  nearly always going to be at a disadvantage even on the most inclusive airsoft site. That might make them a less proficient player than the average able bodied person...

Does that mean that sites shouldn't do their best to encourage them to come along and play? Absolutely not. Turning up and playing airsoft, in my opinion, has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to win, it's about getting away from screens and the monotony of every day life and going outside to have fun with your mates!

At the end of the day we're grown men holding toy guns, if someone else (able bodied or otherwise) can enjoy that as much as I do, I say game on! 

I think you’ve totally missed my meaning/point bud , I WAS saying it should be open to everyone BUT if you’ve got any physical problem that can affect your mobility then your instantly at a disadvantage due to the ground conditions at most if not all airsoft sites and your more than likely to get left behind as the game moves around the site . Quick example I play mainly at black ops Cribbs and Portishead near Bristol both sites you are not going to be able to use 70-75% of these sites due to the terrain , and I can confirm this from personal experience , after having recurring knee problems  following a motorbike accident that was only solved after surgery , I re-injured it tried playing but just physically could move around most of the site due to the terrain. This is the point I’m making nothing more and nothing else . 👍

On 04/12/2018 at 16:01, Delta5630 said:

Rogerborg your right about it being a school project.

Im trying to make something for people with injuryed or disabled hands for my Tech NEA (coursework)

sorry i haven't responded but i sort of forgot i posted this here

At 14-16 years old I don't expect  @Delta5630 to be able to bring a product to market.

Putting that aside, I would say the very first thing is to look for any communities of disabled players then ask them what they need.

Or observe them and surprise them with something they didn't know they wanted/needed.

Mental and Physical disabilities are wide-ranging and complex. But we can attempted to break it down to a few categories, leaving out ones that totally prevent one from playing like blindness.

• Arms
  • Legs
  • Please suggest more.

Can they use one or both arms? Same for legs.

One arm = Steadycam solution

No arm control = that mouth controller (anyone know the name?) connected to a motorised gimbal. Maybe get a rail attachment to tripod mount for a pistol. Just ideas.

One leg = multicam tactical prosthetic leg

No leg control = tank built on a gokart with a wooden body (much cost less than half of ours)

Even if you can't make it, we appreciate out-of-the-box thinking, so let us know what you come up with.

Probably not going to happen unless it's a very minor disability. 

Like there are powered legs now, and if you're missing and army you can still use a pistol, and there are reactive prosthetic arms, but these are very avaunt grade tech.

If you can play airsoft safely, You're welcome to play, but in a CQB site with stairs, you're probably not going to have a great time if you're in a wheelchair and the objective is at the top floor, or in a very very rough outdoor field. 

• 2 years later...

New here hi all 🙂

I am disabled and want to get into airsoft and i have walking issues like balance and i cant run even if i wanted to but i used to shoot live fire and loved long range shooting and have shot at bisley out to 1000yrds and i know airsoft will not be as accurate but i would be ok with being a snipper and taking longer shots from cover with little moving around or holding a position.

I have my eye on some airsoft guns but as iv never done it i cant buy them so i will be interested in any info on airsoft sites in south of England near Farnham Surrey or within sensible driving distance so i can have a go 🙂

Thanks in advance guys 

Hi and welcome to the forum.👋

I've had a look and the nearest to you I think will be hazelmere/bordon which is legion airsoft or eversley bravo, eversley.

You can check these and other sites out on 'play airsoft uk'

Hope you find something to suit you and  it's good to know that you are not letting your disability stop you👍

I've shot at bisly as well. 

Regards 

• Supporters

Hi Ricky, it's worth giving it a go, although it'll be very site dependent whether you'll be able to play effectively.

I would caution that airsoft guns at UK power have maximum ranges from about 60 to 90 metres, and are never as accurate as YouTube sniper channels will have you believe.  They're heavily edited, and sometimes more fiction than fact.

A well tuned sniper is generally built rather than bought, and banging on 2.3J it might achieve 20m over a rental AEG. But folk aren't going to let you maintain that distance for long.

I say all this not to put you off, just to try and set realistic expectations so that you don't get too disappointed if you get rinsed at your first day.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.