Your 'oh crap' moments...

Fireball L_D
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Personally, I've had plenty of these happen to me, as players come it seems I'm quite unprepared. But I never fail to get a laugh out of those moments when something (or in my case everything) goes wrong. Anyone else have stories like this? Let's have a chat about those moments that made you go 'oh crap...'

• Supporters

Ah, I saw this on reddit earlier! Did you fall over a rabbit hole shortly after? ;)

When the outer barrel retention screw fell out my M4 mid game, followed by the whole front end of my gun. I said a little bit more than oh crap! 

Managed to find a fix whilst at the field so didn't completly ruin my day, but definitely something I now look out for. 

22 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Ah, I saw this on reddit earlier! Did you fall over a rabbit hole shortly after?

That was my video, I posted it yesterday! I didn't go tripping down any rabbit holes though lol 😂

Hmm.... helmet mounted action cam - went through the whole day filming, then saw at the end when I took my helmet off that the hinge wasn't tight enough and the camera had been pointed at the sky the whole time. Also, after a very tired early start, driving 2 hours and arriving at the site only to realise I'd left my boots at home by the front door and not allowed to play.

Picked up my evo by the suppressor, forgetting i hadnt screwed it onto my outer barrel. Off comes the front end in my hand, back ends hits my foam in the gun case, spring and bolt go flying. Luckily found both pieces.  

• Supporters
2 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

driving 2 hours and arriving at the site only to realise I'd left my boots at home by the front door and not allowed to play.

‘Not allowed to play’ elaborate please ?

Thought I'd try a gopro the other day. I first recorded 45 minutes of our kit riding in the car boot and then when I thought I'd turned it on for a game I'd turned it off. Did that all day and got nothing but the bench in the safe zone... lol

The recoil was so hard on my kwa rm4 that cover to my tm tracer fell off! And me and my bro spent about half an hour in the middle if a battlesim walking up and down looking for it while our team died around us 😂

At one milsim my bro tripped over half way through the first day and snapped his mp5sd in half on a tree trunk as he tried to save himself! And had to play out the day on a pistol 😂😂 by far my fav!

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

‘Not allowed to play’ elaborate please ?

As in I wasn't allowed to play without combat boots. Against the site rules.

So it was a long drive home again.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

So it was a long drive home again.

What site ?, most sites "recommend" sturdy footwear, boots etc, but cover their arses by getting players to sign disclaimers.

2 minutes ago, Tackle said:

What site ?, most sites "recommend" sturdy footwear, boots etc, but cover their arses by getting players to sign disclaimers.

Yeah the RIFT sites "recommend" boots except for their site at The Ridge where it's mandatory - it's an old clay-quarry 4x4 track with lots of steep inclines and hills.

http://riftairsoft.com/content.php?478-TOTAL-WAR-The-Ridge-Saturday-16th-of-July-(near-Luton-MK45-4LG)

• Supporters

Fairy muff , still a bit extreme to dictate what foot wear players can wear (fell runners wear trainers) plus you’ve got hiking shoes that’s what disclaimers are for . Hay ho takes all sorts ! 😳

9 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Fairy muff , still a bit extreme to dictate what foot wear players can wear (fell runners wear trainers) plus you’ve got hiking shoes that’s what disclaimers are for . Hay ho takes all sorts ! 😳

I didn’t have hiking shoes, I just had trainers that were comfortable to drive in. I’d forgotten to put my boots in the car. Although I was there with my sniper so I wasn’t planning on sprinting around like a madman. Meh, ho hum.

• Supporters
15 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

<Buzz Killington> Aside, this is a risky thing for a site to do, no matter how well intentioned.  I assume that they're not mandating any particular EN ISO 20345:2004/2011 category, they're just eyeballing it?  By setting themselves up an arbiter of what constitutes safe and unsafe footwear what they are doing is creating a liability stick for an injured player to beat them with if they suffer an injury despite wearing footwear which the site has approved, or failed to reject.  No, you can't waiver away a duty of care that you have voluntarily created. I hope that's not their "oh crap" moment. </Buzz Killington>

26 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

<Buzz Killington> Aside, this is a risky thing for a site to do, no matter how well intentioned.  I assume that they're not mandating any particular EN ISO 20345:2004/2011 category, they're just eyeballing it?  By setting themselves up an arbiter of what constitutes safe and unsafe footwear what they are doing is creating a liability stick for an injured player to beat them with if they suffer an injury despite wearing footwear which the site has approved, or failed to reject.  No, you can't waiver away a duty of care that you have voluntarily created. I hope that's not their "oh crap" moment. </Buzz Killington>

You've got a point. And it says "no trainers allowed". Not "no sandals" or "no novelty oversized clown shoes" or "no traditional dutch clogs" or even "no diving flippers"

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

You've got a point. And it says "no trainers allowed". Not "no sandals" or "no novelty oversized clown shoes" or "no traditional dutch clogs" or even "no diving flippers"

I've got a nice pair of woodland camo crocs, #tactical&comfy

19 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Driving 2 hours and arriving at the site and not allowed to play.

If I drove 2 hours to a site & was turned away, lets just say I wouldn't be doing that journey again, EVER😉

17 hours ago, Immortal said:

Thought I'd try a gopro the other day. I first recorded 45 minutes of our kit riding in the car boot and then when I thought I'd turned it on for a game I'd turned it off. Did that all day and got nothing but the bench in the safe zone... lol

You aren’t the first person and won’t be the last

1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

I did play a vietnam themed scenario once in British Army issue flip flops/sandals.

No one cared*, other than the many comments I overheard “that guys playing in a T-shirt and sandals”

* not entirely true, I immediately regretted it as I arrived on field picking up grit and twigs between my feet and the sandals. But I was committed and wasn’t walking back to the campsite 

Other than that I always recommend good supportive footwear appropriate to the environment, and I’m a firm believer in “do as I say, not as I do”

With regards to waivers there is a balance between duty of care and not letting people go on field with inappropriate footwear, clothing, PPE etc.  Responsibilty cannot be offset just with a waiver.

A waiver pretty much just says that the player  understands the appropriate risks of the activity and will comply with instructions.

Sites need to have appropriate insurance (covering liability to staff and customers) some is mandated and some is recommended.  Such policy’s are based on risk assessments and mitigation’s.

Disallowing flipflops is a mitigation, there is a danger of not fully understanding the implications of mitigation as well as the underlying risk

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

What this gentleman said , good intentions are no longer an acceptable excuse in the eyes of the law so yes they are REALLY opening them selves up to a lawsuit if there not carful .

Middle of a super fun game, raping the whole enemy team.

Went for a quick mag change only to realize my mag release screw fell off, after releasing the button the whole thing jumped out of the gun into a bush..

Went back to the car for a gun swap and found out I left the battery at home..

Luckily though it was the last game of the day

Archived