An interesting view of airsoft

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Hopefully no one posts this video before I’ve finished typing, but this sums it up for me.

We are all just going out and playing a game:

I know I’m an old fart but this just ain’t funny or satirical at all too me , it just comes across as a load of  pretentious bollox made by some floppy haired cockwomble doing media studies in ‘uni’ 😳

takes all sorts .

Just now, Druid799 said:

I know I’m an old fart but this just ain’t funny or satirical at all too me , it just comes across as a load of  pretentious bollox made by some floppy haired cockwomble doing media studies in ‘uni’ 😳

takes all sorts .

Old pretentious bollocks that preempted YouTube on previous sharing sites before most of the pretentious bollocks that has followed

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Old pretentious bollocks that preempted YouTube on previous sharing sites before most of the pretentious bollocks that has followed

Fair enuff it’s been around a fair old time then , but still a load of pretentious bollox to me , just hasn’t the subtle humour of a good satirical film . 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

takes all sorts .

I don't think you 'got it' in that case, for me that video sums up the takes it too seriously Airsofter perfectly!  

My personal opinion...

Guy(s) start playing airsoft while being in the army, enjoys it, starts playing milsim for something a bit extra, gets fucked off with people being arrogant and then compares the whole milsim scene to the ones hes come across that are being arrogant/twat-ish. This isn't a new argument, it happens every couple of months even on here.

Now the problem I have is that who is anyone else to say anything about someones else's interests or the way they want to dress or what they want to buy if its not affecting them in any way? on the other side of that if you are playing a milsim or even a skirmish and you don't like how someone is acting why is it affecting you so much? majority of the time the playing fields we all play are big enough for you to take yourself somewhere else and enjoy your day/weekend and not get het up over the Mr Motivator types that think they are the 100tth guy on the balcony.

Me - I've always had an interest in the military but life took me a different way and not having the mental/physical requirements to join up left me with a want to do something where my interest in guns and the military would also keep me social at the same time and not been put on some sort of watch list. I am the first to admit I'm a bit of a gear whore and I like my high end clothing/gear/guns but I've never had an issue with anyone that doesn't nor would I berate someone that doesn't have the same gear as me as I used to be in the same boat, I've been lucky enough to find myself in a job where I can afford the more expensive gear but does that make me better than anyone else -  certainly not.

I have over the years run into some of, in my opinion the most stuck up individuals I've ever met playing this game and to be honest at some points have made me want to hang up my gear and find something else (certain youtube sensations and also entitled little mummies boys seem to be the type that are typical with this type of behavior - I can say this from my experience of knowing said people and having had conversations/arguments with them) but as has been said before unfortunately you will find these types of people in any sport you do! Cycling for example - I have a friend at work who used to do road races, loved it! sold all his gear though because of the influx of people who would bash people for having lower end bikes or not wearing the right helmet or shoes etc.

I think the sooner people stop being bothered by what others are doing and just get on with their own shit the better, There are some fantastic people that play this sport and  I think the more effort that goes into bashing the bad just takes more and more away from the good that the majority bring.

Although relatively new to Airsoft, i'm not new to a tactical environment.  From what I've seen you do get the guys who take it very seriously and invest 1000s on gear that,  only makes them "look cool" and does not increase their performance (it's about how you use the weapon not what weapon you use). The flip side to this is that they think because they've "paid to win" they're entitled to brief up other players on how to conduct business in a tactical manor and generally have an elitist view which in most situations i've found wrong.   

My opinion is that providing they're not offending anyone or affecting their game, let them crack on... you'll always have Walter Mitties, i just like listening to the "one time i passed my parachute course in vietnam whilst jumping with a 105mm" and having a giggle as i walk away :)

• Supporters
9 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

I don't think you 'got it' in that case, for me that video sums up the takes it too seriously Airsofter perfectly!  

No I did get it , it’s just for me the maker just dragged the joke out waaay to long and and just went too deep in to it to still be funny .

it was the ‘all the gear no idea’ mob that really soured the immersive game wknds for me , as far as I’m concerned wear what you want , do what you want we’re all there to have some fun , just don’t try and enforce your ideas on other players , which seemes to happen all the time at milsim wknds , hence my dislike of them and the scenario of these types of games .  

• Supporters
2 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

if its not affecting them in any way

Well, that's the crux of it, and we don't know what the OP video poster's experiences have been.

We've latched onto the Walt issue, but I'd focus on what the OP video describes in the first few minutes.  He's talking there about seeing more and more participants who are being increasingly and habitually aggressive in delivering unasked for and unwelcome face-to-face haranguing of other players' gear, their tactics, and their performance.

As an occasional occurrence, shouty geardos make for a fun anecdote.  If it became regular and typical, and inviting one to cheerfully stow it off just resulted in grief, or two more queuing up to say that my boots aren't laced regulation, I'd likely sack that hobby off sharpish too.

Aside, what my local site did when they ran a "milsim" series was to carefully categorise it as milsim-lite.  They encouraged, but didn't mandate mid caps.  They suggested ammo limits but didn't count every BB.  And most importantly, they ran the games as military vs non military (cartel in one series, Murcan civvie patriots in another) so that players could choose whether to camo up or not.  That was a great idea, and kept it fun for everyone.

• Supporters

Nail and head Mr Borg !

10 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

We've latched onto the Walt issue, but I'd focus on what the OP video describes in the first few minutes.  He's talking there about seeing more and more participants who are being increasingly and habitually aggressive in delivering unasked for and unwelcome face-to-face haranguing of other players' gear, their tactics, and their performance.

Again - and this is just from personal experience of having people do similar, if you don't like someones attitude or what they are spouting move on a get over it or if you are the type speak up and call them out on it, chances are they'll either back down or actually be quite embarrassed. I know that was the case when I got a load of shit off someone at copehill down one game, told him to remember its just a game and to chill the fuck out he went red and sulked off in a corner.

• Supporters
34 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

if you don't like someones attitude or what they are spouting move on a get over it or if you are the type speak up and call them out on it, chances are they'll either back down or actually be quite embarrassed. I know that was the case when I got a load of shit off someone at copehill down one game, told him to remember its just a game and to chill the fuck out he went red and sulked off in a corner.

Oh, I fully agree, although I find laughter is the best response all round.  However, if one becomes two becomes whole squads becomes half your team, the joke might wear thin.  We don't know if OP's video is over-egging the pudding there.  It's easy to blow a couple of instances into a trend, especially if you're already jaded and looking for an excuse to quit, but it may actually be the case that milsims in Europe has changed materially for the Walt the worse since that channel started in 2007.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Aside, what my local site did when they ran a "milsim" series was to carefully categorise it as milsim-lite.  They encouraged, but didn't mandate mid caps.  They suggested ammo limits but didn't count every BB.  And most importantly, they ran the games as military vs non military (cartel in one series, Murcan civvie patriots in another) so that players could choose whether to camo up or not.  That was a great idea, and kept it fun for everyone.

generally i'd consider mid caps are ok, it offsets the fact that airsoft guns don't have anywhere near the range/accuracy/travel time/barrier penetration properties of real bullets.

as for ammo limits, if the mag size is fixed then let folk carry what they want, if someone wants to lug around 20 magazines in a rucksack then let them, their penalty is having to carry the damn things.

Why does this thread keep bringing this scene to mind?

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

generally i'd consider mid caps are ok, it offsets the fact that airsoft guns don't have anywhere near the range/accuracy/travel time/barrier penetration properties of real bullets.

Huh, I meant they encouraged mid-caps instead of high-caps.  Very lite on the lite.  The suggestion was 2 high-caps or (preferably) 6 mid-caps, totalling about 600 rounds for AEGs.  I guess if anyone wanted to carry 20 x 30 round real caps, that would have been fine too. ;)

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Huh, I meant they encouraged mid-caps instead of high-caps.  Very lite on the lite.  The suggestion was 2 high-caps or (preferably) 6 mid-caps, totalling about 600 rounds for AEGs.  I guess if anyone wanted to carry 20 x 30 round real caps, that would have been fine too. ;)

Ahh right i get you, i was referring to using midcaps as equivalent to real caps (or just loading 20/30 rounds into midcaps)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Head Moderator
1 hour ago, JamesAirsofterAgent said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIZivcZzqmY

Thought some might find this interesting

Old news and merged with previous topic

4 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Old news and merged with previous topic

6 hours ago, Tommikka said:

It was posted and discussed a short time ago here:

oops and thanks

oops and thanks