Just starting out Manchester Player

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So hello everyone. As far as introductions go, thats me done 😂

I'm a new airsofter based in Manchester. Sites are not a problem. I can go to them etc. 

What I do have a problem with is getting my first guns. I was considering what to buy. I went to the local Army Kit Store in the Manchester Centre, considering what to buy. Instead of just going on with the usual "I'll look through them and pick the best ones", I decided to take my decision step further and actually try them out (without BB's.) Even without BB's it is a lot of fun to do. I had a look through most of the guns, leaving a few I didn't particularly like the look of. This ranged in Pistols to Assault Riffles to Bolt Action Sniper Rifles. 

The pistol I found to be the most comfortable for me was something that resembled a M1911 Pistol. This was because it wasn't too heavy and it had a very comfy grip. 

The Assault Rifle I found the most comfy is the M4 Carbine. Again it wasn't too heavy and it was a really good weapon for sweeping in combat. 

I wanted to ask what your first weapons were that you chose as I wanted to compare and base a final decision as I still haven't bought my guns. 

Thanks!
Sergeant Watson

P.S. I know its a nerf gun.

• Supporters

if you like the m4 shape then cm16 is the standard reccommendation, the m4 platform is pretty common, but that's because it's good both in performance and ergonomics, like the vw golf of guns

my first gun was a g&g f2000, still have it, love the look of it and the g&g one is properly weighted (so it's heavy), and while i'll be honest it's not the best performer i love it and that's what matters.

pistol wise if you like the 1911 then tm hicapa, it's a bit on the expensive end but you spend 5 minutes shooting one you'll see where the money's gone, plus being plastic slide it'll be lighter, might feel like a toy but it sure don't shoot like one. most other decent 1911's are co2 and tbh i'm not a fan, sure the kick and bang is nice when it's new but a year down the line you'll find it's beating itself to death and you're forever fighting leaks.

however, if you're not dead set on the 1911 then there are plenty of pistol options out there, i started with a we sig 226 to be a bit different and it's magic, shoots better than i can explain because a fancy pistol it is not, not too hot in the winter though, the we makarov is good if you want a pocket devil, i have trolled too many people with that tiny thing.

you don't *need* a pistol to start out with, so if money's tight you might be better off spending it on other things like decent eye pro, good boots, gloves, spare mags, a nice lipo battery and charger etc etc.

that said, pistols are cool....

• Supporters

^ Good bit of info that. Agree 100%

The CM16 was my first gun and I still use it to this day! However, if a sidearm is not the most important thing on your list I'd recommend putting the money into your primary instead. That extra £130 you'd spend on a TM 1911 Hi-Capa (great choice btw) could be better spent elsewhere. 

Definitely do consider how much all the additional gear is going to cost. BBs, Eyepro, Gloves, Kneepads, Plate Carriers and pouches, Batteries, Chargers... it all adds up. You can soon see yourself out of pocket very quickly if you're not careful!

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

My first gun was a G36c.  I had used them as rental guns and didn't like shouldering rifles when I first started, so used to play with the stock folded.

It's also pretty light as AEGs go.

Though I have built up by fitness by running round with a scuba tank strapped to my back 😁, so weight is less of an issue.

Cheers

G

7 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

if you like the m4 shape then cm16 is the standard reccommendation, the m4 platform is pretty common, but that's because it's good both in performance and ergonomics, like the vw golf of guns

my first gun was a g&g f2000, still have it, love the look of it and the g&g one is properly weighted (so it's heavy), and while i'll be honest it's not the best performer i love it and that's what matters.

pistol wise if you like the 1911 then tm hicapa, it's a bit on the expensive end but you spend 5 minutes shooting one you'll see where the money's gone, plus being plastic slide it'll be lighter, might feel like a toy but it sure don't shoot like one. most other decent 1911's are co2 and tbh i'm not a fan, sure the kick and bang is nice when it's new but a year down the line you'll find it's beating itself to death and you're forever fighting leaks.

however, if you're not dead set on the 1911 then there are plenty of pistol options out there, i started with a we sig 226 to be a bit different and it's magic, shoots better than i can explain because a fancy pistol it is not, not too hot in the winter though, the we makarov is good if you want a pocket devil, i have trolled too many people with that tiny thing.

you don't *need* a pistol to start out with, so if money's tight you might be better off spending it on other things like decent eye pro, good boots, gloves, spare mags, a nice lipo battery and charger etc etc.

that said, pistols are cool....

I have hard the Makarov is a good weapon to use, but I think I am just dead set on the 1911. It feels nice when taking out of the holster like a welcoming hand and just works best for my preferences. As for the CM11, it felt a little too heavy for me. As I said, the M4 felt just right on spot. It certainly made the good points up, 

I have heard the G&G's F2000 was really nice and I tried it when I got the chance. I felt like it was a little Sci-fi ish moulded to be honest really. It just has that look like its a gun from Halo, but it did feel nice. And yeah, its heavy but it has its perks. 

Hi, 

Welcome to the forum, so nice to see another Manchester player here. As others have suggested don't worry about side arms, apart from maybe the Mill in Manchester, most sites will be such that you can make do with just your rifle/smg. I would strongly advise against getting a Airsoft sniper rifle because the rifle is cheap, it's how much money you have to spend on the thing to make it any good in actual shooting long distances, accurately. 

Airsoft M4's are cool because you can fit anything on them, my first RIF was an M4 from G&G, still use it and love it. Best of luck! 

5 hours ago, KendoKhan said:

Hi, 

Welcome to the forum, so nice to see another Manchester player here. As others have suggested don't worry about side arms, apart from maybe the Mill in Manchester, most sites will be such that you can make do with just your rifle/smg. I would strongly advise against getting a Airsoft sniper rifle because the rifle is cheap, it's how much money you have to spend on the thing to make it any good in actual shooting long distances, accurately. 

Airsoft M4's are cool because you can fit anything on them, my first RIF was an M4 from G&G, still use it and love it. Best of luck! 

Thanks Kendo! 

I understand that the Pistol isn't really so much important as other weapons. However it is one I would like to get first at they are around £100 in shop which is a little lower than the Rifles. I want to build everything up by price before I enter the arena so to speak haha. 

• Supporters

The first thing you'll want to do is go and play some airsoft with a rental gun, then decide whether you want to wait 2 months and another two+ rentals to get a UKARA number that will let folk sell you a RIF, or whether you want to buy a two-tone straight away.  It's not as daft as it sounds, given how much you'll likely sink into airsoft in the long term if you stick with it.

As above, the basic G&G CM16 Raiders are great value for money.  You can play with a £75 CYMA M4, but the G&Gs manage to be both stronger and lighter, and shoot well.  To be honest, pretty much any AEG sold by decent sellers like PatrolBase or TaiwanGun should be fine, whether it's an M4, AK, G36, MP5, P90 or whatever else you like.  If you do go outside that list, be sure to check for the availability of magazines, particularly mid capacity ones.

Pistols are great in CQB, but will see little use outdoors.  Great fun though, and that's what it's about.

Sergeant Watson, I am not only new to Airsoft, though I did play a bit of the older (marble sized) paintball, though most games tended to be about speed and accuracy, very little stealth, but I am also new to Manchester, being a soft Nancy southern bastard, Arsenal supporter and general ne'er do well.

Why Sergeant Watson? Were you in a different platoon to Arthur Lowe and john Le Meseuré.

Det Inspector Bannister (Ret)

PS: I am so new to Manchester I don't actually move up there for another 4 weeks or thereabouts.

Archived