JG SL8 / SL9 variants - differences? Alternatives?

ziCk_
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Any Jing Gong G36 experts around?

I was thinking about future DMR upgrade platform that's not overplayed or weight a ton on the front-end (I'm looking at you M14 EBR) and I thought - hey why not getting one of those SL8-wannabe airsoft guns? So after ruling out EBB Ares/Umarex/Whoevermakesthedamnthing due to availability issues (apparently they're also horrible to upgrade and work on...) I've stumbled upon JG made SL8 - or rather few different variatns available with no detailed information about differences. These aren't very accurate from milsim point of view however they're piss easy to disassemble and upgrade as they seem to be just regular JG's G36s with replaced stock (even folding stock catch is still on the body) and I haven't seen a single one around so that's a bonus point. Also I love these low-cap mags as annoying they might be to juggle around every few shots - and if I ever get tired of them, G36 dual drum mag is an option.

The question is - what are the differences between all the available variants? Which one is better built on the outside? (from what I've gathered JG's G36 from 3rd series are crap and 4th is supposedly decent but I have no clue if any of these variants is 4th gen?)

Differences on first glance on few variants I've found - there's probably more but I give up, they all seem to be mix and match between each other:

JG1438 - long handguard G36 with, smooth unthreaded tip outer barrel, SL8 grip, with bipod integrated into hand guard and has 3x (4x?) scope integrated into carrying handle as well as short RIS above the scope to mount our own reflex sight

JG1638 - same as JG1438, except outer barrel has flash hider at the end (that's not detachable, it's fixed part of the outer barrel) and short RIS on top of scope is replaced with built-in red dot

JG1838 - same as JG1438 , except carrying handle replaced with short carrying handle with RIS on top of it (G36C style) and is bundled with JG's 3-9 x 40EG scope

JG2238 - same as JG1838 but inner-barrel is tiny bit longer, outer barrel is as in JG1638 and handguard is shorter with extra of RIS on sides and top

JG6689 - seem to be pretty much JG1438 but with short RIS instead of built-in red dot as in JG1638

JG6690 - same as JG1838 but RIS is long all the way to the end of hand guard and comes with detachable RIS mounted ironsights and doesn't come bundled with scope

Which one of those features better external build quality? Are there any mentionworthy internal differences? (not that it matters, motor will be replaced, gears upgraded, etc. but worth noting these in case someone else google up this thread)

---------------------------

Also bonus question, how would you go about making it semi-auto only to comply with the rules of certain fileds where simply promising to never use full auto is not enough? (as silly as it might be with 20rnd mags providing whooping total of 2s continous fire... on NiMH...)

• Supporters

Having had several different models of JG G36 over the yrs I can actually say from personal experience (a novelty in the “my mate Dave’s brother’s friends aunties dog said !” World of airsoft advice ?😂) that internally&externally the build was all the same , cheap and cheerful but solidly built with no real issues .👍

To making it a DMR it will vary site to site they all have different rules for locking out auto and fps for AEG dmrs. Check with where you are going to play as to what they require for a dmr.from personal experience the increase in fps was not worth the lack of full auto or increase in MED. Get the air seal good, set the hop and barrel right and you can get as good range just slightly slower.

Ive done a lot of work on my JG G36 (was my first project learning to tech) looking to turn it into a DMR because i normally only used single shot and thought at the time higher FPS = More range.

I rebuilt gearbox, installed a new hop, added an extended tight bore barrel, rewired to deans and fitted a mostfet etc.  doing it bit by bit between games as my budget allowed. Running 340 fps I was getting good range but it lacked the accuracy – despite doing a load of work I could never lock down the various parts well enough to get great accuracy. I think this was down to the plastic body.

I have now completed my DMR project on an ICS which has full metal upper and doing the same sort of mods as I did on my G36 the accuracy is 110% better, I have also now got the added benefit of being able to quick change springs to suite different sites FPS limits.

As for locking it to Semi – every site I have played at are quite happy that I have used a mosfet so restricts full auto back to single shot (Gate warfet).

21 hours ago, madmogga said:

Ive done a lot of work on my JG G36 [...] despite doing a load of work I could never lock down the various parts well enough to get great accuracy. I think this was down to the plastic body.

This is why I ask which one of them is 4th gen, apparently difference is noticeable as it uses fiberglass reinforced nylon which is much sturdier. Many people on /r/airsoft seem to recommend JG's G36 IF you can get your hand on the latest models (seem to be an issue in US). 

Most likely it's 6xxx series because bigger number MUST mean better x)

To making it a DMR it will vary site to site they all have different rules for locking out auto and fps for AEG dmrs. Check with where you are going to play as to what they require for a dmr.from personal experience the increase in fps was not worth the lack of full auto or increase in MED. Get the air seal good, set the hop and barrel right and you can get as good range just slightly slower.

If I have to be completely honest I didn't find any field locally yet, just going by general guidelines of what I'm accustomed to abroad. I assume that UK fields are very similar to those abroad, aside lower fps limit.

Archived