to rebuild or buy new that is the question

Fat-jd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right then ive been mulling this over for a number of months and the question is as the title do i rebuild my v2 gearbox or buy a complete unit. Ive rebuilt a few gearboxes with a mixture of success. The complete unit im looking at buying is a tomtac unit (mainly due to price) looked all over the internet and can only find 1 product review which to me says there either mega poo or people cba to review products.

if i do rebuild il be mainly using ultimate products as they've worked well in my 249 and seem reasonably priced but any suggestions would be most appreciated 

• Supporters

DO NOT BUY THE TOMTAC !!!!

The micro switch burns out

bespoke trigger (selector plate too) & Cut Off Lever you will have fun sourcing any replacements

buy this instead....

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/gearboxes-complete/ec-complete-gearbox-qd-v2-rear

TBH - depends on the gun in question

if you got decent gun in need of TLC then yeah....

if you got a pants SRC plastic starter M4 or something - hmmm maybe just buy a better gun

sitting duck

cheers for putting me straight on tomtec it was pretty much what i thought as no 1 seems to be running them. but i really think the ec is a budget iteam looking at spending about 100 on the box then another 50 on a motor as i all went bang in a big way lol gun in question is a g&p m16vn with m203

• Supporters

having an asg re-branded version of the box duck reccommends, i'd say go with that, mine's put up with a not insignificant amount of punishment from my tinkerings and it's still going strong.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Fat-jd said:

looking at spending about 100 on the box

What do you want in a box that you're not getting from that ak2m4 one, and could you add it for £55?

Hmm, it's not even mentioned in the listing, but it looks like it's got a quick change spring.

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Hmm, it's not even mentioned in the listing, but it looks like it's got the greatest modification an airsoft box can have- a quick change spring.

ftfy ;)

doesn't make it "quicker" per say, especially if it's a pita to get the gearbox out to that stage, but it take 90% of the ballache away from having to do anything that requires splitting the box to work on.

i cannot understate how much easier that one simple thing does to make teching easier.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

What do you want in a box that you're not getting from that ak2m4 one, and could you add it for £55?

yeah funny you should say that as after doing more reading on the ec gearbox it dosent seem to bad but with out being disrespectful it is a low end iteam but in all fairness this is reflected in the price and it would get the gun up and running again

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, Fat-jd said:

yeah funny you should say that as after doing more reading on the ec gearbox it dosent seem to bad but with out being disrespectful it is a low end iteam but in all fairness this is reflected in the price and it would get the gun up and running again

what performance are you wanting that a more expensive box could provide?

because the money might be better spent on other areas of the gun like the mosfet/motor combo or the hop unit to get gains in whatever area you want to go for.

Those AK2M4 boxes arn't really budget boxes.

There boxes without branding. If it was branded it would be vastly more expensive.

I have one, The only review of it on AK2M4 is the one I wrote. You won't get more gearbox for the same money.

well thanks for the info and if you guys are happy with that box who am i say diffrent and will be ordering this afternoon and reporting back shortly 

7 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

what performance are you wanting that a more expensive box could provide?

not performance so much its more a case of longevity ive already picked up a mosfet and ive still got my g&p 170 motor which i dont no if im going to change or keep didnt have chance to order today so may do a bit more reading 

Archived