Plate carrier in the gym!

Mantle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Started my fitness journey a few weeks back (getting tired of the ol' spare tyre) and to my surprise, someone was wearing a black plate carrier while training! 

I assume it had some kind of weighted plates or a similar substitute. Guess it kind of looked like a 5.11 TacTec?

I know weighted vests are a thing commonly used in fitness, but has anyone ever seen someone in an actual plate carrier in a similar setting? Certainly was interesting to see!

Overkill? Normal? God knows!

Posing try-hard making the rest of us look bad! Another reason to avoid the gym and all the Dudebros Chads there talking about the latest fad gains and burns or whatever other nonsense supplements they waste money on  and now they're wearing plate carriers too 😛

Guest pierce09

seen quite a few cross fitters wearing them. 

not sure i'd be seen running around with a plate carrier on these days outside of Helmand! my knees are f**ked as it is from the first few times!!

Was a bloody shock, I'll tell you that! Very unexpected 😂

Then saw someone wearing a white covert type carrier today with blue gloves, walking very quickly. Are plate carriers a thing in general now?

• Supporters

Odd looks aside, that's actually not a bad idea if you're training. Definitely not the norm though. Doubt you'd ever catch me rocking a JPC in the gym! :lol:

Suppose it is alright as long as it is black. If it were multicam or something, then it would be pretty weird. Could even stick ya hydration carrier on there 😏

Either way, it will look slightly odd to most. I wouldn't do it, personally.

In a place of sweaty (wo)men in tight clothes/tank tops which show their nipples and grunting next to each other (the people, not the nipples), a plate carrier would be the least of my concerns 😂

The day I see a battle belt in place of a lifting belt, however, is the day I stand confused.

• Supporters

When I did historical reenactment, I used to train wearing a chainmail shirt.

Then I came to my senses and stopped wearing the shirt.

Then I stopped training.

Another slice of pie?

• Supporters

There is a logic that training in kit is a good way to sort through both issues with the kit, and condition yourself to be active while wearing it.

Not sure i'd want to do that in a public setting though.

I suspect any old steel plates would be a good thing for weighting it, doesnt have to be ballistic rated if your not expecting to get shot at.

• Supporters

If you wear one day in day out for your work then ‘possibly’ suppose so ,but if not ? then everyone at the gym needs to turn and point at them and simultaneously shout “YOU T**T ! “ 🤦‍♂️

• Supporters
50 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

If you wear one day in day out for your work then ‘possibly’ suppose so ,but if not ? then turn to everyone at the gym and point at them and simultaneously shout “YOU T**T ! “ 🤦‍♂️

Fixed it for ya. All my friends are turning into gym nutters talking about there regime and everything. People who talk about it need a fooking life. People who need to go gym, need a better job. My first job I probably burnt probably 5k calories a day, and ate perhaps 2k? 

The office life is the reason for these gym nutters.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Fixed it for ya. All my friends are turning into gym nutters talking about there regime and everything. People who talk about it need a fooking life. People who need to go gym, need a better job. My first job I probably burnt probably 5k calories a day, and ate perhaps 2k? 

unfortunately i don't think it's going to be all that easy to shift society back to the majority of work relying on manual labour, i get the sentiment though.

you could sort some of the issue by introducing better office environments, things like standing/walking desks etc, but of course that requires money and effort no business run by non-hipsters is going to put in (and also judging by the backlash i'm expecting by mentioning walking desks the workforce probably won't be too supportive either)

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Mantle said:

Started my fitness journey a few weeks back (getting tired of the ol' spare tyre) and to my surprise, someone was wearing a black plate carrier while training! 

I assume it had some kind of weighted plates or a similar substitute. Guess it kind of looked like a 5.11 TacTec?

I know weighted vests are a thing commonly used in fitness, but has anyone ever seen someone in an actual plate carrier in a similar setting? Certainly was interesting to see!

Next time, ask if they're doing the "Murph".

https://themurphchallenge.com/pages/the-workout

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Prisce said:

As my old man used to say when ever he saw the gym bunnies going in to our local ‘steroid shop’ 

“hard days work soon cure that !” 😂😂😂

19 hours ago, Mantle said:

I do that. Got one set of plates with concrete that are equal roughly to AR500 NIJ4 plates, and just getting another set now to up the ante a bit, probably fill with a mix of sand and lead.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

I do that. Got one set of plates with concrete that are equal roughly to AR500 NIJ4 plates, and just getting another set now to up the ante a bit, probably fill with a mix of sand and lead.

You in or going to join the forces ?

10 hours ago, Druid799 said:

You in or going to join the forces ?

Funny you say that, I started when I was going into the RAF as a pilot. I contested medical requests from Capita so it didn’t end up materialising - they wanted to do a whole bunch of extra, unnecessary, dangerous tests (and bill MoD a hefty 5 figure sum for the pleasure). Going into civil aviation now, but I’ve kept the fitness routines up, albeit not quite as hardcore as before. 

• Supporters

You guys must not look at airsoft stuff on insta; if you've got the app (which has some good people on if you carefully navigate around the bullshit) and search for 'tactical fitness' or other wank along those lines there is a PLETHORA of bollocks on there.  Has been getting ever more popular for a good while now.  All part of the tactical coffee and veteran-owned company t-shirts-with-skulls-on market. 

• Supporters

Blimey you guys must go to some really rough & dangerous gyms

if you need a plate carrier

kidding - I know people who do martial arts

well they train with leg & wrist weights to increase speed/power for strikes

but yeah when I saw the title I thought - where do you train Kabul Afghanistan ???

• Supporters

Back in the day, always trained with either the kit we used or if in an overtly civvy environment, a suitable non military style loaded pack etc, makes sense for all the tactical reasons.

BUT fast forward thirty years & my body is borderline destroyed, every kind of joint & arthritis related problem, but I don't think it was the wrong way to train, I still think if your "work" is of a military or police nature then your fitness regime needs to reflect your "on the job shit hitting the fan" needs.

Be interesting to know if the op, or anybody else witnessing the use of plate carriers in the gym, was to ask if it was job related or just a new gym bunny fad.

On a possibly related side note, a friend, a former officer in my old regiment who's now involved heavily in worldwide pmc/security contracts, was telling me only this week that the mod is "restructuring" all of the fitness tests, at both intake level & recurrent cft's etc, because fitness levels have been so poor.

The recurrent testing was running almost 10% failure rate, & recruit level was much higher.

Under the new "restructured" system, it will be almost impossible to fail......... wtf is that about ?

• Supporters

Sure it was actually a plate carrier not just a weight vest. My old one from about 20yrs ago looked very similar to a plate carrier.

Either way if someone has a black pc they could double up as a weight vest sounds fair to me. Only gym bunnies care how they look as most real users know it's all about comfort and function.

Archived