Cutting wire to remove buffer tube.

Nodnol
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This seems like a daft question, but I want to replace my sling point on my AEG (Raider 2.0), but to remove the buffer tube, I need to cut the fuse off, because it won’t pass through the hole at the bottom of the  buffer tube.

Am I good to just re-solder the wires back together, or am I better off re-wiring the whole section and taking apart the gear box? 

Even as a newbie this doesn’t intimidate me, but I don’t want to waste time unnecessarily.

Cheers!

What kind of fuse is it?  I usually just remove the fuse to do that (two blade type).  The fuse holder can then fit without the fuse.

When soldering near a fuse I always remove the fuse to prevent damage.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

With the fuse holder taken apart, it should fit through the buffer tube hole, although on my CYMA it was a tight sodding fit and no mistake.  Stick with it for a while, see if you can persuade it through.

• Supporters

There should/might be a tiny join with 2.8mm connectors on the black/red wires

if the whole wiring loom won't pass through - you should be able to splice the join and pull apart

see the pic - there is short pair of wires out of gearbox then joined to rest of wiring to fuse/battery....

Image result for G&G m4 raider wiring

fairly good pic of a Raider btw

This is the Swedish-IKEA version, some self assembly may be required

edit did say splice the joint but don't wish to give the wrong idea/advice

so ensured I changed it to join not joint....

Image result for joint pic

Spot on SD, thank you. Didn’t spot the 2.8mm connectors under the shrink tube the other day. Sliced the shrink tube to loosen the connectors; I’ll get some insulation tape tomorrow just to be ultra sure nothing shorts out accidentally. 

New sling attachment in place now. 👍

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If you're not going to shrink wrap over them again, I'd recommend self-amalgamating tape.

I cant see any exposed connector showing to be honest, but I may just cut the shrink tube off and get some new shrink tube just to neaten it up.

Thanks again guys. 

Archived