swaping two tone parts out

51M37
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If you have a defence, e.g. UKARA then yes.

Cheers

G

1 hour ago, 51M37 said:

I was wondering as i am legaly alowed to swap out two tone parts out at a site then swap them out before leaving

(for example swaping out a coloued pistol slide with a black one)

Under the VCRA that would be modifying an IF into a RIF, which is a specific offence under the act (section 36 1b)

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

But if you then go to the next section there are defences (airsoft skirmishing isn’t among the actual legislation defences, but is an additional provision)

If you’re doing it for the purpose of skirmishing then it’s legal and you’re not required to revert to two tone

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

If you’re doing it for the purpose of skirmishing then it’s legal and you’re not required to revert to two tone

Bolded for emphasis.  The offence is the act of modfication, not possession.  You can't undo the offence by reverting it back.  You need a defence only once, at the point where you commit the modification.

UKARA is a defence that sellers rely on to sell.  On the infinitesimal chance that anyone ever says "Oi, did you modify that from a IF into an RIF?" and you're daft enough to admit it rather than saying nothing, then it wouldn't hurt to have a UKARA number as a defence to any prosecution.  But it's not necessary.  What is necessary is that you can show that the purpose of modification was for airsoft skirmishing (or one of the other defences), which you can do with evidence of both past and planned future attendance at sites with public liability insurance.

I know the mods can get touchy about this issue, but I believe that this covers both the letter and the spirit of the law.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, E21A said:

No one at a site is going to care, and no one else is going to know. Ya know, unless you announce it on a public forum 😂

Very true, and least said, soonest not prosecuted. But on the other hand, we really don't have to be all whispers and nudges about it.  I believe that RIFing an IF at an insured skirmish site immediately prior to playing with it is the best defence that you can possibly adduce.  If we were to have a test case for S36 / S37, I'd like it to be that.

Archived