1st Gun Shortlisted post much research

Gkaruk
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

*Hope posting in correct sub-forum - let me know I happy move :) *

After 2.5 months of research by reviews, this forums, beginners guides, many threads read on best option for beginner 1st gun, terms, upgrading Im now at final shortlist for planning buy in Oct/Nov 2018.

Hopefully provide enough info on what I know so far, what I requirements can provide to help and therefore get last piece of advice from all you experts and veterans of the hobby :)  Let the comments begin :) 

Current Playstyle - CRQ slow, low with bit of DMR (long) mostly in outdoors woodland, est. range 20-40ft range maybe bit longer now and then.

FPS required - 350 max (either out of box or with BB weight to reduce down to)

Gun Type - M4 initially based on research and cross-platform for mags (PTS EPM), but mostly style liking look of and upgradability options.

Budget - £200-350 thanks to bolstering with work years of service reward :)

Makes - G&G, CM, Krytac, Ares

Out-of-Box - meeting above requirements / zero-minimal upgrade req / sturdy / well made / reliable / consistency of shot+velocity+accuracy

Guns Options Shortlist:

KRYTAC Trident CRB MK2 or MK2-M (m-loc) - £330

Reason: - Out of box meets all requirements based on many review and forum responses researched.  

Link: 

https://www.krytac.com/trident-mk2-series/trident-mkii-m-crb/trident-mkii-m-crb-black

https://proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/en/weapons/rifles/m4-variants/krytac-trident-crb-mk2#/11-color-black

Query -

Is the M-Loc version worth the extra, or is the default MKII with TR110 Keymod rail system ok?

Planning to go Pro AirSoft Supplies to try one out before decide.  Any other shop close to Northamptonshire stock these?

G&G CM16 Raider-L 2.0E with ETU (mosfet) - £159

Reason: Cost is low, beginners rifle and option to upgrade later but has risk of parts not as well made. 

Link:  https://www.surplusstore.co.uk/g-g-cm16-raider-l-2-0e-m-lok.html

Query: 
  Is the new G&G Mosfet any good (not wanting to upgrade/fit one this early in Airsoft hobby)?

Upgrades cost to match the Krytac build/FPS/accuracy/etc would be equal to buying the Krytac at start?  Skills required/risk to do ?

Ares Amoeba Honey Badger inc. Ext. Silencer - £259

Reason: Mostly out of box meets requirements.  Minor upgrade of barrell & spring maybe required.  Tried out gun at site recently and loved.

Link: https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/ares-amoeba-am-013-honey-badger-m4-full-rail

Query: How easy is it to upgrade the spring and barrell?  Is it risky for newbie or relatively easy?

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Gkaruk said:

FPS required - 350 max (either out of box or with BB weight to reduce down to)

Gun Type - M4 initially based on research and cross-platform for mags (PTS EPM), but mostly style liking look of and upgradability options.

Budget - £200-350 thanks to bolstering with work years of service reward :)

Makes - G&G, CM, Krytac, Ares

Out-of-Box - meeting above requirements / zero-minimal upgrade req / sturdy / well made / reliable / consistency of shot+velocity+accuracy

How do bud , here’s my take on your ‘shopping list’

With the first request you’ve fallen in to the biggest beginners trap of them all , FPS , fps has absolutely f**k all to do with hitting your target ! It’s the hop that dictates your accuracy all the FPS is working on is giving it range and speed , if you haven’t got the hop dialed in then you ain’t hitting diddly squat ! 

If you want the evidence to back this up (and in your shoes I’d want it I’d not just take the word off some random on Tin’ternet !😉) look at Tokyo Marui gun’s , you won’t find a new stock one for sale over 305fps anywhere , and out of the box there the best for range and accuracy . TM has THE best standard hop units fitted to there guns bar none .

Gun Type ; go for what ever takes your fancy really, when you come down to it there all the same really it is just what you want to do with it and what direction you’ll want to go in . PTS mags are very good but there’s plenty of polymer types that are just as good AND a lot cheaper .

budget ; £350 will get you a very nice gun from loads of different manufacturers , but I’d recomended getting a bog standard G&G combat machine to start , there totally bomb proof , you won’t be out gunned by players with more expensive guns and it’ll still be fine in a few yrs time when it becomes your ‘back up’ gun after you’ve bought more guns ! 😁

also don’t get hung up on mosfets , tight bore inner barrels , this hop nub or ‘this hop rubber’ or ‘that hop rubber’ all means nothing when your starting out . Only ‘up-grade’ I would suggest of the bat is change the connector to a deans and get lipo batteries and a smart charger . 

Then just enjoy your self , all that other crap comes later ! 👍

@Druid799 Thanks for the advice appreciated. 

FPS, agree and appreciated FPS does not equal accuracy but mainly range.  The 350 FPS max is mentioned as the site I plan to stick at currently for next 6-9 mth is very local (25min) and well run, independent site with Max FPS as per most sites for Assault (350) and DMR (450).  So just thought I mention any feedback needed to not be higher :)

Mosfets is something as you say comes up alot.. and from research only thing which as a new buyer concerns is not wanting to fry terminals.  Saying that, if the advice is they are not that important and thus saves money I happily treat Mosfet as bonus if gun has :)

Other upgrades is more me researching to understand what they are and what improvement they add to understand terminology for now and thought process of next what upgrades can benefit or deprecate performance of a gun in general knowledge terms :)

Again - many thanks appreciate the advice.

If I discounted going the Krytac route, from build and quality, performance would you say G&G CM16  Raider-L 2.0E or Ares Honeybadger ?

• Supporters

No probs bud , if I can help I’m always happy too chuck my two pennies worth in the ring ! 😁

Any hoo me personally I’ve always be inclined to think mosfets are like the emporors new clothes , all the cool kids swear by them so they must be right ! Err no you don’t ‘need’ them I’ve been playing 18yrs and I’ve still got a TM M14 that’s has to be at least 15yrs old and it’s still working fine (though the hop rubber has recently given up the ghost) all that time I’ve never had any burnouts on any terminals , yes I’ve had bits wear out but never burned out . Saying that I’m not saying they haven’t a use to them they definitely do but I’m just not convinced there a must have like so many make out .

in your shoes ? as I said I’d just go for a bog standard CM , a nice 4x max scope to stick on it and just enjoy my self for a good few mths THEN think about the next evolution of my game play . 

If really had to be tied down to the two you’ve named I’d actually got for a G&G Raider-L DST my self , I’m not a fan of the minamlist stocks on the two you listed but that’s just me . Always remember , advice is like food in a ‘eat all you buffet’ you can take it or leave it , ain’t gonna bother anyone if you do or you don’t !😉

😂😂😂😂

Thanks again.  Friend just went down the Ares Honeybadger and all in mid-cap mags, bag, batteries, charger, spring upg. Delivered £500.

So I'm thinking the CM16 L but got say the Krytak is still my gut fav.

Think I price up a full load out initial buy Inc. Batteries, charger, mags, etc and see what totals come too.

• Supporters

I agree that the basic G&G Combat Raiders (without an ETU and mosfet) work very well.  And if you do want to fiddle, you'll have loads left in the budget.  You could replace the hop unit, rubber, nub and barrel as a single unit, by removing one pin and splitting the receiver, no special skills or tools required, and no need to touch the gearbox.

But if you want a metal gun, only a metal gun will do.  Is the Krytac worth the extra over the G&G or Ares?  That's entirely subjective. These are silly over-priced toys, and buying any of them is daft. ;)

The quick change springs on the Ares and Krytac are an advantage.  You can essentially ignore the claimed fps out of the box and just throw in whatever spring you want.  While I agree that the hop is critical for accuracy, physics still applies to airsoft BBs, and one exiting at 350fps will go further than one at 300fps, if you can get the hop right.

I know this isn't particularly helpful to choosing, but none of them is a bad choice on which to waste your hard earned.

Thanks @Rogerborg @Druid799 @E21A

For me over the next month (ETA Nov purchased planned) is making a list of items required to purchase with the gun, such as batteries, charger, mags (mid cap looking at), BBs, mid-cap loader (is that required or option without), nice gun box/bag to protect gun & gear whilst at stored at home (limited space where live).

I take a look into the G&G GC16 guns too see what they offer.

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Gkaruk said:

mid-cap loader

If you mean the hand cranked M4 mag loaders, they really do speed up reloading compared to a thumb operated speed loader.  The little crank handle nub tends to come off, but is easily enough repaired or replaced.

Just read through the CM16 Raider L2.0E and the Semi-Auto mode is pain. 

Switch to Semi then hold trigger for 10s.  To go back to Full Auto repeat the step.  Sounds like its all related to their new Electronic Trigger in the gun, dont like that.,  I just want to switch.  Hmmm.. maybe im missing something, but this puts me off CM16 greatly.

1 hour ago, Gkaruk said:

Just read through the CM16 Raider L2.0E and the Semi-Auto mode is pain. 

Switch to Semi then hold trigger for 10s.  To go back to Full Auto repeat the step.  Sounds like its all related to their new Electronic Trigger in the gun, dont like that.,  I just want to switch.  Hmmm.. maybe im missing something, but this puts me off CM16 greatly.

Think you’ve misunderstood that. Holding the trigger down in semi is to switch from full auto to 3 round burst. So you can have 

semi and full auto

or

semi and 3rd burst 

@E21A ok so if I understand you correctly you mean...

by default, when I switch to semi it's will be semi fire and switch to auto it will be full auto, 

but if I switch to semi and hold trigger 10s I am change the auto to be a 3 round burst only.

I then have to go back to semi, hold 10s to change auto back to full auto?

If so, that makes more sense and thanks for clarifying :)

4 hours ago, Gkaruk said:

@E21A ok so if I understand you correctly you mean...

by default, when I switch to semi it's will be semi fire and switch to auto it will be full auto, 

but if I switch to semi and hold trigger 10s I am change the auto to be a 3 round burst only.

I then have to go back to semi, hold 10s to change auto back to full auto?

If so, that makes more sense and thanks for clarifying :)

Thats correct 

My honest opinion:

Go Japanese or go home. 

Tokyo Marui all the way. 

I have a bog standard raider cm16 short, no mosfet etc or electronics to mess around with and I have to say it just works, yeah it has a poly upper but it’s light compact and just works.

Out of the box it was doing around 320 fps  though joules are more important than fps. The hop is great, and you can pick them up for any thing from £100-£130, that gives you room for batteries, chargers mags and everything else that are transferable to another m4 platform when you work out what you want from your gun.

@E21A - Thanks for confirming. Makes a lot more sense now :)

@Supermoose - Thanks, Im just speccing my loadout if go CM16 or CRB MK2 thus total cost to get gun/batteries/charger/etc.  Will help me decide.

@Dentonboy - One day TM, but not as my first gun :)  Krytac my most expensive option at moment and style/colour after.  CM option is more obvious and common recommend but not colour scheme after, ofc colour can be painted.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  Great help.

14 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Ham is more important than gammon.

True but I can always throw a brick harder than I can throw a B.B. 

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Supermoose said:

True but I can always throw a brick harder than I can throw a B.B. 

But you won’t get kicked off the site for throwing a B.B. ?😉

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Ham is more important than gammon.

Ahh but hand carved or packet ? 🤔

Archived