Fitness / Phys. & Supplements ?

AirsoftTed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Supplements  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take any supplements?

• Yes (Please expand below)
    • No.

Hi Guys,

Some of you may remember me - I used to be quite active on the forum. I'm recently returning from a bit of a hiatus and as such my fitness levels aren't quite what they used to be, shall we say!

Not only has the world of Airsoft not stood still for me... Neither has the world of fitness. There's a lot of new and conflicting opinions on what methods of training are best and whether supplements are needed - I used to just take a multivitamin & a Fish oil but it seems there is a lot more on offer these days and I'm wondering if any of it lives up to the hype!

To put a Brief forward: I'm looking to get back into the sport with a view in particular to Milsim/Weekend events. So being the little Gear Gremlin I am, I'll need to work on my endurance, strength and stamina so I can carry it all weekend.. I'm thinking of Blitzing some HIIT cardio combined with rounded strength training from compound lifts.  

What training plans are you guys doing and what are you taking to help, if anything? I'd also appreciate any advice on my own plan from guys who are doing similar extended events 👍

Teddy

14 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo I'm fucking choking

I've missed you and your p*ss taking ways 😂 How  has the place been?

To give some background - as I'm aware you're currently in stitches about my desire to be fit for toy guns inna woods. I recently did one of  the Break-Point events and whilst I managed to get through it, I'd of enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if I had been fitter. In other words I don't want to be gasping for air when I'm there - and I don't want to be struggling to walk for the 2 days afterwards.

Also, by supplements I don't mean steroids or dopamine... I was thinking something more like a pre-workout or BCAA, if they're worth the faff or if they don't do FA.

• Supporters

I use food as a training supliment and normal living as a training regime, so far I’ve found it’s worked really well .👍👍👍

Supplements are garbage unless you are looking to add extra protein for muscle gain. Pound the ground through running every 2nd day, start slow and build up to being able to run 1.5mile in under 10 mins, throw in some strength conditioning such as press up's, sit up's, burpee etc. If this is not your taste, go cycling or swimming. 

• Supporters

As has already been said, there is no supplement that's an improvement on regular sensible exercise & a good healthy diet.

Only "supplements" I would ever recommend would be stuff such as glucosamine for joint problems etc, & even then that's aimed at players 45+ that have the genuine need for them.

Don't get sucked in to the supplement combined exercise regimes that "guarantee" bigger pecs/biceps & perfect abs, you show me a guy that's built like that & I'll show someone with limited stamina & is weak in most other areas.

I'm 44 years old, only started Airsoft a year ago...I was morbidly obese and really unfit.  Since then I have lost 5 stone through exercise and better eating.  Playing, sometimes twice a month it really gives me a good cardio workout, on top of my other activities as well.   The only I take is painkillers for my old dodgy back.  :)

Good eating and exercise really does work...i'm starting to get back down to my weight and fitness levels from my mid 30's..lol and still losing weight.

Do what you like, but supplements won’t build your fitness, they for example will help along the way to building bulk and muscles in a fitness regime.

Following a severe case of dehydration I use electrolyte drinks such as SiS and High5, I sometimes also use the gels.

I don’t use these all of the time or in all activities  but depending on the circumstances of what I’m doing 

Forget doing mile and half under 10mins that's better then min standard for army. Hill reps and sprints for power and build up to 3 mile runs for stamina. If you want to train and just eat better, be that less takeaways, better balance or just smaller portions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Supplement wise, not a lot really, but on those days where I'm flagging I will drink some of my gym pre workout, think red bull x10, but only as a temporary boost never a long term thing.

Only supplements you should look at really are for your joints and well being, as you get older everything stiffens up or gets worn/damaged a lot easier, this does make a difference but as said most supps are bunkum.

Having stamina is the biggest thing you can have, I've seen much younger lads burn out come end ex whilst I'm still itching for another game, doesn't matter how fit you are if you burn out fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped airsoft a while ago, but using this fitness plan to train to join the Royal Marines (god there's so much fucking running), has been tweaked a little by members of RM to suit the selection process but you could find some of it useful:

Remember supplements also have a lot of bad parts about them and really you only need a good diet. 

P&B refer to two different cicruits, with one using weights and sprinting etc and one purely sit ups, push ups and pull ups.

Day Morning #1 Morning #2 Afternoon #1
Monday Arms Weights Running tempo 30 min Circuit P
Tuesday Core Weights Swimming 30 min Circuit B
Wednesday Running - Bleep test Or Intervals Running - Bleep test
Thursday Leg Weights Rest Circuit P
Friday Arms Weights Swimming 30 min Circuit B
Saturday Running 8-10 Miles Or 60 mins Chest Weights
Sunday Rest Rest

Rest                                         

If you're gettting back on the horse, keep it simple stupid. 

Short run-intense, Medium run-moderate, Long Run-slow 

Each one, once a week so 3 days of running.

In between that, just get a bodyweight circuit going for you. Situps, pressups etc.

After you're more comfortable with that, throw some weights about and go nuts but honestly, people go way overboard and complicate general fitness because they want to see the fastest improvements. Basic fitness is basic fitness. You achieve it via the basics. 

Archived