New Older Player 2mth so far, plans ahead

Gkaruk
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi forum Airsofters,

Old new player, 47yr here. Enjoying my new hobby always wanted to give a go.  Only 2 months in and addicted, researching everything I can to be able to converse with you veteran players.

Read the Beginners Guide on here and very informative.  Researched lots of gear and guns, makes, terminology and then what that stuff is and how to use/upgrade at much later date plus the benefits of (eg. Moseft, Lipo,  barrel upgrade, trigger, gears, gbbr, aeg, etc) so far.

Finally treated myself to camo gear this month, next month is boots and Nov will be first AEG gun, which I shortlisted to 4 so far from VFC, G&G, Krytak, Ares.  I post in week or so once finalised the list for final thoughts from your experts/veterans.

Quick q - What does velocity mean written like this - 330 FPS / 101 MPS - 350 FPS / 107 MPS?  Is its gun does 330-350fps / 101-107mps?

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

FPS = Feet Per Second, MPS= Metres Per Second.  Typically this will be the speed of the BB from a given gun as it leaves the barrel as measured by a chronograph using .20 BBs.

Your example quotes a range, so it means that particular gun should typically fire a .20 BB with a velocity of between 330 to 350 fps as it leaves the muzzle (or 101 to 107 mps if you use metric measures).

Cheers

G

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).  Never too old to get the airsoft bug.

You're not old, pal.

Iam seventy, and started just this year, after receiving loads of encouragement from the lads on here. 

I wish I had started earlier when I was fast, but I still love it.

Even if they put me in a wheelchair one day I will continue to play, and my guns will be buried with me. 😁

Thanks for all the welcomes guys :)

Also thanks for confirming the way velocity had been shown. I knew about the FPS/MPS but seem wierd way they had listed it for a gun.

I post my 1st gun short list soon :)

1 hour ago, Gkaruk said:

Also thanks for confirming the way velocity had been shown. I knew about the FPS/MPS but seem wierd way they had listed it for a gun.

It's one of the many strange things about airsoft... There are a fair few oddities.

Energy in Joules is a better way to check the guns output.

350fps on a 0.2g BB is about 1.14J. You can use that energy value across a table of BB weights to know what the legal limit is per BB weight.

softair-joules.jpg

Different countries have different rules, as too do different sites in the UK. Most sites fall between 300 and 350fps. Some have a little tolerance say 330fps +-10%, Others just cap flat at 350fps. You have to check with your local sites and set your guns up to the local site with the strictest rules.

For most of us that means having different setups for different guns. The short light m4 variant for instance might be set to 330fps for a local CQB site, A full length G3 might be right on the upper limit at 345fps for open woodland play.

It's not something to worry about too much, but it is something to be aware of. So check with the sites you intend to play at before you buy a gun and have it setup. Or you might find it has to be re-done!

M4's are generally regarded as been the most produced gun for airsoft. There is however nothing at all to stop you picking up something totally different for your beginner gun.

Some myths:

Barrel length = Range. False, It's barrel volume to cylinder volume to energy. There is a limit on range.
Barrel bore = accuracy. False, it's barrel finish and straightness, the hop rubber, and air consistency.

Some guns are better out of the box. True. But most guns can be made to shoot well, Don't get wrapped up in brands. A budget gun can out shoot a top end one just because the owner knows how to set it up. A gun will not show how well it can perform until it's been used. 10,000 bb's and the hop rubber will just be getting good.

Pay for externals. Get a gun you like the look of in the best external materials. Steel>alu>nylon polymer>cheap plastic. If you see a gun all in steel with a crap gearbox remember a gearbox is replaceable, all the internals can be upgraded. The externals are what you buy and keep.

Archived