UKARA and Northern Ireland

Super64
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I have checked and done a search and not found the answer.

Do you still need UKARA to purchase a rif in Northern Ireland? I’m assuming the answer is yes, but I’m talking to a guy who wants to buy one of my guns and when I asked him for his UKARA details he informed me that the rules are different in N.I. and that you don’t need UKARA. I’m pretty sure this is bull and he’s just chancing his arm, but thought I’d double check in case I’m missing something. As far as I’m aware the VCRA and UKARA are for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and so the the same rules apply in N.I.

Thanks in advance. As I say, sorry if this info is readily available, I have checked, but may have missed it in my foggy night shift condition.

• Supporters

RIF sales are the same- you need a defence, one of which is UKARA although other entities such as re-enactment groups also count (basically you just need to satisfy the retailer you're not getting it to do a bank job)

the only difference between uk and ni regulatory wise for RIF's is anything over 1j is out (of course it doesn't stop some folk)

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Super64 said:

Do you still need UKARA to purchase a rif in Northern Ireland?

No.  You don't need UKARA to purchase a RIF anywhere else in the UK either.

You, the seller, need to adduce a defence.  It doesn't matter to whom you are selling.

UKARA is neither necessary, nor necessarily sufficient.  You need to be able to show that you are selling the RIF for the purposes of airsoft skirmishing (or one of the other S37 defences).

How you do that is entirely up to you, how much trust you put in your buyer, and how much risk you're willing to accept.

Aside, S36 only applies to England, Wales and Scotchland, but Schedule 2 S4 applies the same provisions to Northern Ireland, so your buyer is talking jive about the "rules" being different there.

• 1 month later...

Is it definitely Northern Ireland that has the 1J limit, or is that just the Republic? Website's I'm checking aren't making it too clear.  I'm trying to sell a GBB pistol at the moment which fires between 320 and 340 FPS, and the buyer is based in NI. I don't really want to be responsible for the importation of a firearm!

Also, has anyone ever posted a RIF to NI? I'm trying to figure out if I'd have any problems like I might have posting to another country, or whether it's the same as any other shipping within the UK.

From PSNI (Police Service Northern Ireland)

In Northern Ireland airguns and CO2 guns having a discharge kinetic energy in excess of one (1) Joule (0.737 ft lbs) require to be held on a firearm certificate.

https://www.psni.police.uk/advice_information/firearms/know-the-law/

59 minutes ago, skintrade said:

From PSNI (Police Service Northern Ireland)

In Northern Ireland airguns and CO2 guns having a discharge kinetic energy in excess of one (1) Joule (0.737 ft lbs) require to be held on a firearm certificate.

https://www.psni.police.uk/advice_information/firearms/know-the-law/

Ah excellent, exactly what I was looking for. Not quite sure why I couldn't find that, clearly my Google-fu is lacking. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 28/10/2018 at 18:06, Greg147 said:

Is it definitely Northern Ireland that has the 1J limit, or is that just the Republic? Website's I'm checking aren't making it too clear.  I'm trying to sell a GBB pistol at the moment which fires between 320 and 340 FPS, and the buyer is based in NI. I don't really want to be responsible for the importation of a firearm!

Also, has anyone ever posted a RIF to NI? I'm trying to figure out if I'd have any problems like I might have posting to another country, or whether it's the same as any other shipping within the UK.

Out of date thread but as an NI Airsofter I get asked this a lot.

Posting to NI is the same as posting in England, Scotland and Wales. The biggest difference is couriers like UPS and DHL like to extract the urine and charge a "Air/Sea Fee" which won't be any less than £15 for anything... Royal Mail/ParcelForce are best for posting to us here... or MyHermes if you're willing to risk handing it to them...

On 27/09/2018 at 17:08, you can`t shoot me said:

Yes The vcra does apply in northern ireland same as the rest of the united kingdom, Southern ireland on the other hand vcra does not apply.

Would hope so given we had about 800 years of sectarian conflict to settle that little debate......its a different country

3 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Would hope so given we had about 800 years of sectarian conflict to settle that little debate......its a different country

Over simplified there.....

Northern Ireland is a state in its own right.  It is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The Republic of Ireland is a country in its own right.  (Generally known as the South despite having a border North of Northern Ireland)

But they both remain part of Ireland and both Southerners and Northerners are considered to be Irish with the freedom of travel between the states.  It’s one of the issues with Brexit

But stepping away from the politics, on a RIF legal basis, the South is a totally different legal entity

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

Over simplified there.....

Northern Ireland is a state in its own right.  It is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The Republic of Ireland is a country in its own right.  (Generally known as the South despite having a border North of Northern Ireland)

But they both remain part of Ireland and both Southerners and Northerners are considered to be Irish with the freedom of travel between the states.  It’s one of the issues with Brexit

But stepping away from the politics, on a RIF legal basis, the South is a totally different legal entity

I am Northern Irish born and bred.....

Archived