DSG Gearbox

adox
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Does anyone know of people or companies that make and sell drop in dsg gearboxes. So that I can simply remove a gearbox and install a new one that is premade with a dsg???

• Supporters

DSG is over-rated imho

first of all DSG's are half stroke so for barrels up to say 250mm

of maybe pushing 275 - 300mm if using 9T sector from Seigetek (not cheap)

Hence most DSG builds are AK74 or G36c or MP5k or short/stubby M4's

BUT.....

https://www.socomtactical.net/airsoft-accessories/replacement-and-tune-up-parts/everything-else/gg-firehawk-hc05-replacement-gear-box-dual-sector-gear

But before you chuck £100 down the drain - give that to a tech and you will have made a better decision

Seriously - do not buy that gearbox, avoid buying the gun itself & perhaps forget DSG-ing your Nuprol

Maybe buy this std box....

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/gearboxes-complete/ec-complete-gearbox-qd-v2-rear

and maybe do a few tweaks with a nice motor....

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/motors-parts/ra-high-torque-motor-long

should scrape by without needing a mosfet for a while imho on 7.4v

well trigger contacts should last longer than the Nuprol's micro switch contacts I reckon

more zest/snap blah blah blah

could look to fit 13:1 gears at some point & mosfet perhaps (draws a bit more juice)

but reckon that should get you about 18rps on 7.4v on std 18:1 gears

I mean you could at some point swap the std sector for a DSG sector but tbh I wouldn't

but do-able, though need bushings and a bit more work - but again DSG's are for short/med barrels

I'd be tempted to use your gun as it is tbh and not chuck too much money into a Nuprol

if you can help it - almost anything is do-able

question is: do you it you really need to do it - as it is also avoidable

i'm looking at building a new gun or developing one. I am looking for trigger response and dsg just shortens the reset time.

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, adox said:

i'm looking at building a new gun or developing one. I am looking for trigger response and dsg just shortens the reset time.

Then whatever you decide that £45 box is a decent option

Personally - we all have dreams of building a bespoke gun from scratch that is a hose machine....

Two things:

1 - building a gun from scratch means a lot of potential headache issues to overcome

Often an easier/wiser consideration is to take a decent base gun - even a faulty one needing TLC

than try to assemble a load of parts that "may" not be 101% fully compatible without "some" modification/adjustment

From spending £100's and finding that rail system doesn't like that receiver, feeding issues coz the nozzle is a smidge too long, that STFU pistol grip produces an awful motor angle and sounds like a tin of wasps when firing etc... etc... etc....

So you would have to be very f**king fortunate not to run into "some" issues

and if you did you would need to know or learn the hard way about resolving a number of "possible" issues you never imagined

I mean it could go without a hitch but in reality - even experienced techs can run into issues on a "from scratch" build

So perhaps consider using a decent base gun maybe ????

2 - The faster it runs - the quicker it breaks is a fairly decent rule of thumb in a like for like world

(don't use a slow pile of crap china slap together gun out of the box to a snappy precise custom build)

What you will learn most likely is a general rule of thumb for many is that twenties is plenty

Sure you can go faster - but it most likely will crap out/fail quicker is what I mean

I don't give a f**k what anybody says - like for like the faster you go the probability of failure increases

The trick is to find an acceptable balance, which up to around mid 20's is about a good sensible limit UK wise

Finally it isn't how fast the gun shoots it is usually how skilled the person using it is

sure a good gun helps - but it is the player not the gun's performance that usually wins the game

I don't care tbh, I'm just trying to give you a little bit of advice that's all - I was like many on here the exact same

Drop a SHS DSG sector in ya gun - it isn't a lot of work tbh - just it will likely fail quicker if you go too nutz

I'd lower your dream to a more realistic/practical goal and try not to run before you can walk so to speak

When I saw DSG gearbox I thought I had clicked on one of my car forums for a minute ! 😂

I recently finished my first scratch built gun with 12:1 shs gears.  I wanted super response/ROF and that gives plenty with a high torque motor.

I was adamant I wanted to run it on 11.1 but my high caps were tying their springs in knots trying to keep up,  and I was still having feeding issues on a 7.4V until I got some decent mid caps and fitted a delayer chip. Its still like a bloody hose pipe on 7.4V.  

I would listen to what sitting duck is saying.   He was very helpful while I was asking questions on my build and if I had listened to him sooner I could have saved some money and time.

The best thing I did for response was a hair trigger mod, speed trigger and mosfet.  It's not technically response in the cycle but the gun reacts much quicker to finger movement.

If I had the knowledge I have now when I started my full rebuild  I would do the above, replace the wiring and connectors, hi torque motor and dean's/ xt60 and run 11.1v.  Maybe bump up to 16:1 gears and a delayer chip.

Leave DSG till you have enough experience to iron out all the creases yourself.

Archived