Take a quiet moment to think .

Druid799
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest pierce09
37 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Definitely won’t be gaming this year I shall be at my local cenotaph , I don’t usually go to any events (I like to remember my sleeping mate my own way) but as this yr is the big 100 I feel I’ve a duty to go . 

I'll be at my local cenotaph as well with 7 other members of my family still serving or retired including my Grandfather and my father which I'm looking forward to. I don't think I could ever do anything other than a service on Remembrance Day. 

Was part of 2 (national communications) signal brigade. 

Given that our role was to provide comms in the event of nuclear attacks or major uk incidents, its probably a good thing I wasnt deployed.

11 hours ago, pierce09 said:

So I've never been to a skirmish or weekend event in the UK over Remembrance Day. Is there a minute's silence observed or anything like that?

I did a 60 hour milsim event over Memorial weekend a few years back and the yanks don't do anything for that day like we do for Nov 11th. I did however sit down in the evening with quite a few other serving and former servicemen and spin dits whilst smashing back a few tots of whatever was passed in front of me. That was extremely meaningful on a personal level. 

We do an enforced 2 minutes. We ask people that dont want to respect it to go off to another area while the people that do want to observe it can do so in a dignified manner with no interruptions.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

We do an enforced 2 minutes. We ask people that dont want to respect it to go off to another area while the people that do want to observe it can do so in a dignified manner with no interruptions.

that would be kinda ironic, anybody who objects to respecting remembrance, yet here they are at an event that essentially reenacts warfare, I think I'd ask them to move to another site😉

12 hours ago, pierce09 said:

So I've never been to a skirmish or weekend event in the UK over Remembrance Day. Is there a minute's silence observed or anything like that?

I did a 60 hour milsim event over Memorial weekend a few years back and the yanks don't do anything for that day like we do for Nov 11th. I did however sit down in the evening with quite a few other serving and former servicemen and spin dits whilst smashing back a few tots of whatever was passed in front of me. That was extremely meaningful on a personal level. 

At my local site we do have ceremony. We play on an old RAF base and there is a reasonably large number of serving and ex-forces members at the site every week, so they tend to lead it.

It can get pretty emotional. It is much more "from the heart" than any other remembrance ceremony I've been to before.  

12 hours ago, lukeB said:

Was part of 2 (national communications) signal brigade. 

Given that our role was to provide comms in the event of nuclear attacks or major uk incidents, its probably a good thing I wasnt deployed.

You and my dad

He wasn’t in signals.  Artillery - nuclear artillery 

Archived