Freak events thread

Rogerborg
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Prompted by a "yeahbut, what if?" in the WHYJB thread, I thought I'd ask: what have you experienced while airsofting that falls into the you-wouldn't-believe-it-you-hadn't-seen-it category?

My recent one.  I was packing a couple of extended AEP magazines in pouches, carried base down with the top of the magazines slightly exposed outside of the pouch flaps.

xJKXmPr.png

A chap got the drop on me from the side, put a freak shot square into the top of it hard enough to split the magazine slightly apart, and the 60+ BBs in it sprayed straight upwards in a ballsy shower all over me (white, not golden).  At least that's what he explained afterwards.  At the time, I had no idea, and all I could figure was that a BB shower grenade must have gone off at my feet. 😕

I've slackened and retightened the top of the magazine and it seems to be holding BBs OK again, although I'll be darn sure to run them the other way up in future.

Commencify one-upmanship. ;)

Yes, I used the search before starting this thread.  Did you know it has a three character minimum?

• Supporters

ran a set of taiwangun's cheapest ak mags yesterday and they worked amazingly with zero feeding issues in the little jg that has a quite ludicrous rate of fire.

also managed something similar to yourself- drew one of my m4 vietnam style mags and the top of the mag decided it wanted to stay in the pouch along with half the bb's.

however nothing tops the bb in the magazine of the mg42. a single stealth bb stuck in the fold for the handle of the dust cover, for some context the inside of the fold was about 5.5mm so the bb had to hit it exactly square to lodge in, and had it missed it'd done quite the number on my teeth. 

• Supporters

Being an old fart have many , but this’ll suffice , two yrs ago playing at Black ops Portishead end of January to say it was cold would be an understatement all morning had little metallic monkeys asking me if I knew a good spotwelder ! Any way I digress , creep up on a building hear voices inside go to get my trmr out of my pouch AND pull out my AI cyclone instead ! (I’d left the trmr in the safezone!🤦‍♂️) so think to my self “I know I gases it up so it ‘mite’ work ?” But of course it didn’t , lobbed it in the window all scream “grenade !” run out and get shot by a team mate instead ! So still a win 👍

collect said grenade hold it at arms length give it a couple of really good shakes and it’s dead as a dodo , game over get back lob it in the kit bag think nothing else of it .

End of the day load up the car , realise phone’s still in the kitbag have a rummage find it and off we go , 15mins later driving home the car’s all lovely and toasty and the fecking thing goes off in the bag on the back seat ! BB’s flying everywhere in the car ! 😱 scared the living shit out of me !🤬 

So the moral of the story children is NEVER assume just because somthing don’t work it ain’t gonna work ! 😉

🤣🤣🤣

13 hours ago, Druid799 said:

End of the day load up the car , realise phone’s still in the kitbag have a rummage find it and off we go , 15mins later driving home the car’s all lovely and toasty and the fecking thing goes off in the bag on the back seat ! BB’s flying everywhere in the car ! 😱 scared the living shit out of me !

This is why I never take off my eye pro. Some people think it’s weird to see a man in Bolle x800 goggles in Tesco but you sir have proved my point: There is no safe zone! Gotta say they’re getting a bit funky now as I dont even take them off to shower BUT better safe than sorry, added bonus is I never get shampoo in my eye anymore. 🤓🤣 

At a game day a couple of weeks ago I did something similar, found a piece of broken plastic tubing on the floor of the building in a similar shape to a MK5. Was alone and knew there was a few enemies on the next room, what the hell I thought, I’ll give it a go. 

“John I’ll stick a grenade in there hang on” I said to myself just a little louder than normal.

Lobbed in the bit of pipe, an enemy shouts “Grenade” heard a bunch of footsteps, ran in and pew pew 3 in the back. To top it off one of them says

”You must be gutted that grenade you paid for was a dud” 😈😎

Guy on the team i play for had a couple of thermos in his thigh pocket (TLSFX at the time were notorious for the amount of glue they used to keep the striker on) so hes going about his gaming day at I think sennybridge not sure of the key moment or how it happened but the striker managed to set itself free from the copious amounts of glue on the cap/body join and strike itself in his pocket. 3rd degree burns and an ambulance on site in sennny and a week in hospital....

Morale of the story... dont have pyro in pockets regardless of what form that pyro is in! even a BFG can give you a 3rd degree burn

• Supporters

Ouch.  Yes, I am a bit careful with pyro.  I've accidentally re-holstered my TRMR in an armed state a couple of times, but not received a surprise banging from it yet.

8 hours ago, YorkieT17 said:

found a piece of broken plastic tubing on the floor of the building in a similar shape to a MK5

Last game day at the Depot saw a packet of Walkers Salt and Vinegar crisps deployed down a stairwell as a  (successful) distraction device.  I can't speak to other flavours working.

• Supporters
21 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Being an old fart have many , but this’ll suffice , two yrs ago playing at Black ops Portishead end of January to say it was cold would be an understatement all morning had little metallic monkeys asking me if I knew a good spotwelder ! Any way I digress , creep up on a building hear voices inside go to get my trmr out of my pouch AND pull out my AI cyclone instead ! (I’d left the trmr in the safezone!🤦‍♂️) so think to my self “I know I gases it up so it ‘mite’ work ?” But of course it didn’t , lobbed it in the window all scream “grenade !” run out and get shot by a team mate instead ! So still a win 👍

collect said grenade hold it at arms length give it a couple of really good shakes and it’s dead as a dodo , game over get back lob it in the kit bag think nothing else of it .

End of the day load up the car , realise phone’s still in the kitbag have a rummage find it and off we go , 15mins later driving home the car’s all lovely and toasty and the fecking thing goes off in the bag on the back seat ! BB’s flying everywhere in the car ! 😱 scared the living shit out of me !🤬 

So the moral of the story children is NEVER assume just because somthing don’t work it ain’t gonna work ! 😉

🤣🤣🤣

reminds me of the first time i tried to use a thunder b in action, lobbed it through the door of a house and it failed to go off, 30s later the last guy in the house gets flanked by a team mate.

so i go to retrieve the grenade and i see the casing is badly swolen and i think "i know your game, the moment i walk over there to pick it up you're gonna go off", so crafty ol me thinks if he shoots the grenade it'll pop it, so  i grab the f2000 and pop a couple of rounds into it but nada,

so i thought "ok, well if it can take an aeg strike and not pop i dont think it'll go off any time soon, i can go disarm it" so i walk over and when my hand is just 6" from it BOOM with the full monty of ringing in the ears and everything.

i also had a point later on, during one of the few periods of relative reliability, i threw it at a guy who also knew thunder b's and their reputation who assumed it wouldn't go off because of his own experiences (which tbh isn't an unreasonable assumption) went to throw it back and it went off in his hand, fortunately a thunder b doesn't do all that much damage so he was ok if a tad shocked.

8 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

reminds me of the first time i tried to use a thunder b in action, lobbed it through the door of a house and it failed to go off, 30s later the last guy in the house gets flanked by a team mate.

so i go to retrieve the grenade and i see the casing is badly swolen and i think "i know your game, the moment i walk over there to pick it up you're gonna go off", so crafty ol me thinks if he shoots the grenade it'll pop it, so  i grab the f2000 and pop a couple of rounds into it but nada,

so i thought "ok, well if it can take an aeg strike and not pop i dont think it'll go off any time soon, i can go disarm it" so i walk over and when my hand is just 6" from it BOOM with the full monty of ringing in the ears and everything.

i also had a point later on, during one of the few periods of relative reliability, i threw it at a guy who also knew thunder b's and their reputation who assumed it wouldn't go off because of his own experiences (which tbh isn't an unreasonable assumption) went to throw it back and it went off in his hand, fortunately a thunder b doesn't do all that much damage so he was ok if a tad shocked.

When I used them I used to lightly score the casings to try and ensure they would go off. Some didn't. Another way was to drill a very small hole in the casing for the bulb which made the pressure increase quicker.

Another more notable one which was pretty funny at the time....

Rental using one of the longer M16 type rental guns we have was running full pelt at an objective, trips, Barrel goes into the ground propelling him almost like a pole vault but head over heels and lands on his back... even funnier was that he got straight up and managed to kill a whole team even though his flash hider was plugged with mud! (guess the defending team were quite wimpy that day)

Down side was i then had to dislodge a mammoth amount of bb's from the gun and all the mud that was in the flash hider, kudos was given where it was due.

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

When I used them I used to lightly score the casings to try and ensure they would go off. Some didn't. Another way was to drill a very small hole in the casing for the bulb which made the pressure increase quicker.

yeah i did the casing mod, the issue i had was either light strikes or leaking gas around the top seal which was really poorly designed.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

It sounds like "Thunder B actually went off when deployed" would constitute a freak event. ;)

with the caveat that when it goes off it does it on the ground, and not right next to the owner, but pretty much yes :P

• Supporters
22 hours ago, Druid799 said:

driving home the car’s all lovely and toasty and the fecking thing goes off in the bag on the back seat ! BB’s flying everywhere in the car ! 

Thing was this happened at least 5hrs AFTER the failed detonation! 😳

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

All my 'nades go in an ammo crate... might be worth getting yourself a little box/bag for it.

I always strip em down end of game day (blanks out , cyclone emptied gased out) and then in a flapped pouch in my ammo grab bag , any pyro of any sort lives in an ammo can so having it loose in the kit bag was definitely not the norm so yea did ever so slightly make me jump ?😉

😂😂😂

8 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I always strip em down end of game day (blanks out , cyclone emptied gased out) and then in a flapped pouch in my ammo grab bag , any pyro of any sort lives in an ammo can so having it loose in the kit bag was definitely not the norm so yea did ever so slightly make me jump ?😉

😂😂😂

Better than what I've heard over the summer months when people have left full cans of gas in their cars though, not nice blowing out your car windows 🤣🤣🤣

• Supporters
2 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Better than what I've heard over the summer months when people have left full cans of gas in their cars though, not nice blowing out your car windows 🤣🤣🤣

Think that’s bad , over the summer the dull f**k that runs the shop at my regular site left a load of gas cans in the back of the trailer he trades out off ! 😳

Dont think I need say anymore? 💥🤦‍♂️

6 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Thing was this happened at least 5hrs AFTER the failed detonation! 😳

No excuse. Should have been wearing eye pro. 🤓🤣🤪

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, YorkieT17 said:

No excuse. Should have been wearing eye pro. 🤓🤣🤪

Don’t need eye pro , my steely eyed stair deflects all incoming ! 👀

I shot a guy called big Bear square in the nuts up close without aiming on the weekend 

Good job guy has a sense of humour, that's my claim to fame.

Oh when I was serving, section cmdr threw a tflash Mk5 in a headwind, only for it to blow back inches from my face.

That gave me a few stitches near my eye, luckily the medic on camp was a surgeon so patched up in no time.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Huxley said:

section cmdr threw a tflash Mk5 in a headwind, only for it to blow back inches from my face.

That gave me a few stitches near my eye

If it had blown your brains out, would you have got a battlefield commission? 🤔

Archived