Hamster’s guide to the (sort of) science of pew pewing!

Adolf Hamster

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Lovely, thanks.  +1 from me.  There's far too much magical thinking in airsoft, let's get some physics up in its face-pro.

I'm never saying backspin again, it's angular velocity from now on. ;)

Sorry I could not be arsed to read all that. And your wrong, it's all wrong and you'll have to start again including the diagrams. I need it by 5:00pm

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, heroshark said:

Sorry I could not be arsed to read all that. And your wrong, it's all wrong and you'll have to start again including the diagrams. I need it by 5:00pm

sorry sir, i can't get it done by 5.00pm today, would 5.00pm on monday be ok?

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

sorry sir, i can't get it done by 5.00pm today, would 5.00pm on monday be ok?

Well that's just not good enough. 

This is a fantastic post and I love the detail you've gone to in the physics and the way you've explained the various forces etc. my next project at some point will be an r-hop because the results I've found with a flat hop are fantastic.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, AndyDynamic said:

This is a fantastic post and I love the detail you've gone to in the physics and the way you've explained the various forces etc. my next project at some point will be an r-hop because the results I've found with a flat hop are fantastic.

thanks man.

the rhop is fantastic, i tried dropping one in the m4 just for the sake of experimenting and honestly of all the money and parts that gun's had the rhop was the one that made the difference.

admittedly i got lucky and it worked perfectly first time, but considering it's running the short barrel of unknown provenance and still shooting laser beam straight it's defo worthy of the effort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Loved this post. New to Airsoft but eager to learn as much as possible. Thank You.

• Supporters
50 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Whats the TL;DR of this? 😎

Future me: Great post, lots of good information there

Tl:dr is if you want to shoot far then you rhop your gun, seal air leaks, get as close to your site fps limit as possible and run the heaviest bb you can afford/can spin because science says so :P

• 1 year later...

That is undoubtedly the most readable and understandable document I have yet seen on airsoft rifle 'science'. As a 'noob' I am trying to take in all I can on this sport/hobby and that was a joy to read. A HUGE thank you to Adolf Hamster for taking time out of his schedule to write it and to point me to it.

Holy post @Adolf Hamster

I think I speak for most who didn't pay attention at school - all we would have taken from that excellent education is;

On 20/09/2018 at 13:22, Adolf Hamster said:

Part 6- nerd time!

• ω is our boobs

I don't know how I missed this when you first posted it, but that is a very nice explanation... hmm now I wonder if I can use this to make an equation to estimate pellet drop 🤔

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

I don't know how I missed this when you first posted it, but that is a very nice explanation... hmm now I wonder if I can use this to make an equation to estimate pellet drop 🤔

You mean the flight path? That should be how the spreadsheet is setup, if the link still works for it.

Admittedly i only bothered working it out for firing flat/practical point blank range.

2 hours ago, Davegolf said:

Boobs

Engineering is a terrible career for anyone with a certain sense of humour, for example the phrase "smooth penetration" is something that comes up uncomfortably often in my current field.

31 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

You mean the flight path? That should be how the spreadsheet is setup, if the link still works for it.

Admittedly i only bothered working it out for firing flat/practical point blank range.

yep, it just needs to add in the factors for elevation and also the impact of a head/tail wind and then get an answer in milliradians...

not that useful for most people, but may be handy for the milsim snipers among us who have the luxury of operating from an FFP. 

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

yep, it just needs to add in the factors for elevation and also the impact of a head/tail wind and then get an answer in milliradians...

not that useful for most people, but may be handy for the milsim snipers among us who have the luxury of operating from an FFP. 

certainly possible, never needed to use more than just some kentucky windage myself.

there is a bunch of guys did do more in-depth analysis including elevation angles.

guess the main problem would be calibrating it to the amount of hop you're running.

50 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

certainly possible, never needed to use more than just some kentucky windage myself.

there is a bunch of guys did do more in-depth analysis including elevation angles.

guess the main problem would be calibrating it to the amount of hop you're running.

I guess it's mostly my desire to be able to map the flight path to be able to engage people at around the 100m mark plus... which is only possible when you start lobbing the BBs...

calibration is where range cards come in and you just have to apply empirical data..tbh once you have set the hop once and you have a very consistent FPS you stand a chance...

it's this side of things that really interests me tbh so I'll stick the equation up once I'm happy with it and see what happens.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

I guess it's mostly my desire to be able to map the flight path to be able to engage people at around the 100m mark plus... which is only possible when you start lobbing the BBs...

calibration is where range cards come in and you just have to apply empirical data..tbh once you have set the hop once and you have a very consistent FPS you stand a chance...

it's this side of things that really interests me tbh so I'll stick the equation up once I'm happy with it and see what happens.

fair enough, i suppose at least it shouldn't be too bad to factor in for example cross-wind same as for regular ballistics, you're essentially using the same drag force equation only applied crossways. headwind you could add in as an increase/decrease in bb velocity.

in the spreadsheet i'm using an arbitrary value for the spin, the "reset hop" button just uses a goal-seek to find the value that gives you ~20cm of muzzle rise for the given bb weight/energy setting (because i had no idea what the actual rate of spin was), but there's no reason you can't set it for some other value.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.