Newbie hoping to start at The Grange, Coventry

MP5er
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

I’m new to airsoft and so far haven’t been to a skirmish. I’m hoping to book a morning game shortly at The Grange in Coventry to see how I get on, I love the idea of it as a hobby though :) 

If anyone could give me an idea of what the place is like, it would be greatly appreciated. I found some reviews online but mostly old ones. I have rheumatoid arthritis in my ankle so I’m a bit worried about the terrain. Also a little nervous because none of my friends are interested in this, so not only a newbie but a lone one too!!

I have a WE two-tone G17 gbb pistol which I’m assuming is ok to take with me when I go?

I read up on the laws before buying the pistol but the one thing I’m concerned about it travelling with it. I have a pistol case which I was going to put in the boot of the car, is this ok to do without a defence?

I will have to hire an assault rifle and I wondered if anyone knew what types they have to hire at The Grange?

I’m going to try and buy a bit of camo, face guard etc before going too.

Any info or help you can give would be great. Thank you :) 

Sorry for for such a long first post!

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Your defence is you are going to a skirmish.  As long as you keep it covered you are fine.

Face guard is a good idea.

Don't invest too much in camo until you are sure what you like.  Lots of people turn up in civvies for there first skirmish.  You can then see what others wear and choose what you like.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

1 hour ago, MP5er said:

I read up on the laws before buying the pistol but the one thing I’m concerned about it travelling with it. I have a pistol case which I was going to put in the boot of the car, is this ok to do without a defence?

Transporting it is covered under Firearms Act 1968 S19 rather than VCRA, and you need "a reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on [you])".  Having a UKARA number is neither nor there, that's a defence for the seller at the point of sale.  If being on your way to or from (or at) an organised airsoft skirmish isn't a reasonable excuse, then we're all in big trouble. ;)

I like to ensure that I have "proof" to hand, even if it's just a "going to event" on Facebook.  But just be clear about exactly where you're going and I can't see you having any trouble in the very unlikely event that you come to the notice of the State.

I'd definitely recommend giving airsoft a try, it's ace.  You will want solid boots with good ankle support, but plenty of folk play a walking game: just ignore Sergeant McShouty yelling at you to move up (usually from 30 feet behind you).  Long term, you may want to consider running a support weapon, sniper or DMR so that you can camp out a bit rather than running-and-gunning, but you should be able to find something that suits.

40 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Your defence is you are going to a skirmish.  As long as you keep it covered you are fine.

Face guard is a good idea.

Don't invest too much in camo until you are sure what you like.  Lots of people turn up in civvies for there first skirmish.  You can then see what others wear and choose what you like.

Cheers

G

Hi,

thanks for the welcome and the info, I will leave the camo for now.

are the neoprene face masks any good or should I go for a mesh type ideally?

17 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Transporting it is covered under Firearms Act 1968 S19 rather than VCRA, and you need "a reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on [you])".  Having a UKARA number is neither nor there, that's a defence for the seller at the point of sale.  If being on your way to or from (or at) an organised airsoft skirmish isn't a reasonable excuse, then we're all in big trouble. ;)

I like to ensure that I have "proof" to hand, even if it's just a "going to event" on Facebook.  But just be clear about exactly where you're going and I can't see you having any trouble in the very unlikely event that you come to the notice of the State.

I'd definitely recommend giving airsoft a try, it's ace.  You will want solid boots with good ankle support, but plenty of folk play a walking game: just ignore Sergeant McShouty yelling at you to move up (usually from 30 feet behind you).  Long term, you may want to consider running a support weapon, sniper or DMR so that you can camp out a bit rather than running-and-gunning, but you should be able to find something that suits.

Hi,

thanks ever so much for all the info, mind at ease now!

I do have good ankle supports, just have to go and try on some tough yet light weight boots this weekend.

I can do a bit of running here and there so fingers crossed I will do ok.

I prefer the mesh ones, a lot cooler in the heat and less likely to fog up your eyepro as the vapour from your breath is directed outwards.

Also, the mesh ones take all the power out of a hit, you can still feel it through Neoprene if at close range or from a sniper/dmr.

When cooler I tend to wear a paintball mask.

Cheers

G

1 minute ago, MisterG said:

I prefer the mesh ones, a lot cooler in the heat and less likely to fog up your eyepro as the vapour from your breath is directed outwards.

Also, the mesh ones take all the power out of a hit, you can still feel it through Neoprene if at close range or from a sniper/dmr.

When cooler I tend to wear a paintball mask.

Cheers

G

Great, thank you. I will go for a mesh one.

The Grange is a good site. It's the one I use for my UKARA membership.

The site is woodland with a few fence buildings. In summer it can be classed as dense woodland with engagement ranges significantly dropping. In winter the site opens up a little and the ranges increase with that.

Camoflage works well at the site, but there is no shame in turning up in jeans and a jumper. The site isn't snobby at all in regards to gear. You must wear boots, they must have good grip. Waterproof is a bonus as some of the site can hold water. 2 tone guns are fine.

The Marshall team is fantastic, They will make you feel welcome, and make sure you know what you are doing. Listen to them, and follow the few rules they have and you will have no problems. They will insist on banter, but frown on swearing and hit calling.

Games are normally short 30-60minutes with teams rotating. You will get a lot of games in. They have a very fast re-spawn system and aim to keep you playing. It also means if you get a hit you take it and just come back into the game from the re-spawn point. Sitting out because you are dead will not happen at this site. The Marshalls will pick games depending on team sizes, and how knackered you all look :D

The Hire guns are plastic Cyma AK's. Any issues just ask a marshall and they will look at it for you. Same with the batteries if you think yours is going flat just ask. Full face mask, overalls, spare magazine and BB's are provided. Extra BB's are about £10 for 3000.

They have a shop with some basic parts, BB's and normally a few nice guns for sale. Eye pro is normally in stock as well.

The  safe zone is a no fire zone. Mag's out, Guns on safe. No testing the gun in the safe zone. If you shoot even without a mag in they will kick your ass and may even remove you from the site. If you want to test shoot go through into the game area through the safe zone. Once in the game area you can shoot to your hearts content, just make the gun safe before you come back inside. If there is no marshall on hand to check you are safe stick your head in the door and call one of them. Eye pro must be worn at all times in the game area, even if you just stick your head out to look.

When you come back into the safe zone after play a Marshall will inspect your gun, they will want to see the mag out, and the gun discharged in a safe location, then put on safe. Don't be alarmed by this everyone does it, Once the gun is safe it's best to put it down and not play with it until the next game.

Coffee and tea is free all day.
A small lunch is provided if you are playing all day, for free.
There is a selection of snacks (not free), and cold drinks (not free)
Pyro and BB's can be bought in the safe zone.

Toilets and showers on site.

I have rheumatoid arthritis in my ankle so I’m a bit worried about the terrain

One of the regulars has mobility problems as well. Tell the marshalls they will tell you the best routes to take to keep a sure footing. Personally I never run I'm too lazy, and I always find myself in the action without a problem.

6 minutes ago, Iceni said:

The Grange is a good site. It's the one I use for my UKARA membership.

The site is woodland with a few fence buildings. In summer it can be classed as dense woodland with engagement ranges significantly dropping. In winter the site opens up a little and the ranges increase with that.

Camoflage works well at the site, but there is no shame in turning up in jeans and a jumper. The site isn't snobby at all in regards to gear. You must wear boots, they must have good grip. Waterproof is a bonus as some of the site can hold water.

The Marshall team is fantastic, They will make you feel welcome, and make sure you know what you are doing. Listen to them, and follow the few rules they have and you will have no problems. They will insist on banter, but frown on swearing and hit calling.

Games are normally short 30-60minutes with teams rotating. You will get a lot of games in. They have a very fast re-spawn system and aim to keep you playing. It also means if you get a hit you take it and just come back into the game from the re-spawn point. Sitting out because you are dead will not happen at this site. The Marshalls will pick games depending on team sizes, and how knackered you all look :D

The Hire guns are plastic Cyma AK's. Any issues just ask a marshall and they will look at it for you. Same with the batteries if you think yours is going flat just ask. Full face mask, overalls, spare magazine and BB's are provided. Extra BB's are about £10 for 3000.

They have a shop with some basic parts, BB's and normally a few nice guns for sale. Eye pro is normally in stock as well.

The  safe zone is a no fire zone. Mag's out, Guns on safe. No testing the gun in the safe zone. If you shoot even without a mag in they will kick your ass and may even remove you from the site. If you want to test shoot go through into the game area through the safe zone. Once in the game area you can shoot to your hearts content, just make the gun safe before you come back inside. If there is no marshall on hand to check you are safe stick your head in the door and call one of them. Eye pro must be worn at all times in the game area, even if you just stick your head out to look.

When you come back into the safe zone after play a Marshall will inspect your gun, they will want to see the mag out, and the gun discharged in a safe location, then put on safe. Don't be alarmed by this everyone does it, Once the gun is safe it's best to put it down and not play with it until the next game.

Coffee and tea is free all day.
A small lunch is provided.
There is a selection of snacks (not free), and cold drinks (not free)

Toilets and showers on site.

One of the regulars has mobility problems as well. Tell the marshalls they will tell you the best routes to take to keep a sure footing. Personally I never run I'm too lazy, and I always find myself in the action without a problem.

Thank you so much for this, just the info I was hoping for. Sounds perfect, I will sign up for morning very shortly. 

I can live with the plastic AK for a few months.

Thanks again 

Thanks again to everyone for the welcomes and info on the kit and laws.

Iceni - your description of the site was fantastic, greatly appreciated.

I've now booked up for my first morning session at the end of the month. I’ll let you know how I get on!

:) 

• Supporters

Nice one.  Oh,and +1 on mesh face protection.  I like half-mesh / half-fabric like this:

8QgfQbi.png

it helps you get what Walts will insist on calling a "cheek weld" on the gun. In English, you can look through the sights.

• Supporters

Welcome! :)

4 hours ago, MP5er said:

I've now booked up for my first morning session at the end of the month. I’ll let you know how I get on!

Hope you have a good time!

On 18/09/2018 at 16:59, MP5er said:

Thank you so much for this, just the info I was hoping for. Sounds perfect, I will sign up for morning very shortly. 

I can live with the plastic AK for a few months.

It's no problem, Personally I'd do a full day rather than half a day. Even if you don't play for the full day or take an extended lunch break. There's normally a few regulars to chat to in the safe zone and Steph manning the drinks chiller!

The day runs like this:

Turn up early, Gates open at 8.30 am

Go pay in the shop for the day, Have a good chat and make your way up to the safe zone. The Marshalls might take you up, or they may just point it out and let you wander up. Gear and fitting will be done when you get to the safe zone, just make yourself known to the marshalls up there and tell them your on a hire.

9-10am is chrono for the guys using there own guns, this is when all guns that are going to be used in the day have the BB speed measured to make sure it's safe. You don't need to chrono, but there will be a lot of people plinking in the game area at targets... Join them, Get chatting, Shoot your hire gun and get familiar with it.

10am is the briefing.

Games start at 10:30am And run till about 12- 12:30. There may be a short break if the weather is hot to let people grab a drink.

1 hour break for lunch.

Then it's game on again till 4.30 ish with normally a second break for drinks.

The full day gives you a lot more shooting than a half day. And the Marshalls will let you work at your own pace. If you hear calls of push forwards it's normally by the players. And you can ignore it. Spending a full day will also give you more time to explore the site. It's bigger than it looks on a map, and quite confusing when you start to go through the trees.

Don't be put off by the under18's Shoots. There are some younger people that attend, but they know the rules so you play exactly the same. In fact they tend to do a lot of the running about and let the slower players hold objectives.

14 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Nice one.  Oh,and +1 on mesh face protection.  I like half-mesh / half-fabric like this:

8QgfQbi.png

it helps you get what Walts will insist on calling a "cheek weld" on the gun. In English, you can look through the sights.

Thank you, Luckily I ordered that one last night!

11 hours ago, Gepard said:

Welcome! :)

Hope you have a good time!

Thank you :) 

10 hours ago, Iceni said:

It's no problem, Personally I'd do a full day rather than half a day. Even if you don't play for the full day or take an extended lunch break. There's normally a few regulars to chat to in the safe zone and Steph manning the drinks chiller!

The day runs like this:

Turn up early, Gates open at 9 am

Go pay in the shop for the day, Have a good chat and make your way up to the safe zone. The Marshalls might take you up, or they may just point it out and let you wander up. Gear and fitting will be done when you get to the safe zone, just make yourself known to the marshalls up there and tell them your on a hire.

9-10am is chrono for the guys using there own guns, this is when all guns that are going to be used in the day have the BB speed measured to make sure it's safe. You don't need to chrono, but there will be a lot of people plinking in the game area at targets... Join them, Get chatting, Shoot your hire gun and get familiar with it.

10am is the briefing.

Games start at 10:30am And run till about 12- 12:30. There may be a short break if the weather is hot to let people grab a drink.

1 hour break for lunch.

Then it's game on again till 4.30 ish with normally a second break for drinks.

The full day gives you a lot more shooting than a half day. And the Marshalls will let you work at your own pace. If you hear calls of push forwards it's normally by the players. And you can ignore it. Spending a full day will also give you more time to explore the site. It's bigger than it looks on a map, and quite confusing when you start to go through the trees.

Don't be put off by the under18's Shoots. There are some younger people that attend, but they know the rules so you play exactly the same. In fact they tend to do a lot of the running about and let the slower players hold objectives.

Brilliant, I’m looking forward to it. I ordered a few things clothing wise yesterday so I will just need the rifle I think. Be nice to use my pistol if I can.

i thought I’d better try the half day first and see how my ankle is afterwards, then do a day next time if it’s ok.

If I like it, can I become a member or do I have to go a certain amount of times first?

8 hours ago, MP5er said:

can I become a member or do I have to go a certain amount of times first? 

There is no membership. You get your Ukara by attending 3 games over at least 2 months. Then you need to do 1 game a year to keep it rolling. Those games have to be at the same site.

Provided you are playing and keep track of the Ukara start date, You just have to prompt the site to renew it. They get out a form to fill in and that's it done. Keeping a log of played dates and receipts can also help.

This is the facebook group for the gunman Midlands sites, The grange is part of the group. The pictures will tell you a lot about what the players and site is like. Also ask them questions, they use the page and update it weekly with pictures of the games and upcoming events.

https://www.facebook.com/Gunman-Airsoft-Midlands-190426617674907/

On 19/09/2018 at 20:03, Iceni said:

There is no membership. You get your Ukara by attending 3 games over at least 2 months. Then you need to do 1 game a year to keep it rolling. Those games have to be at the same site.

Provided you are playing and keep track of the Ukara start date, You just have to prompt the site to renew it. They get out a form to fill in and that's it done. Keeping a log of played dates and receipts can also help.

This is the facebook group for the gunman Midlands sites, The grange is part of the group. The pictures will tell you a lot about what the players and site is like. Also ask them questions, they use the page and update it weekly with pictures of the games and upcoming events.

https://www.facebook.com/Gunman-Airsoft-Midlands-190426617674907/

Apologies for the late reply.

thanks ever so much, you’ve been a great help. I hope to have the UKARA sorted by December, and then treat myself to a rifle for Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

I had such a great time at my first skirmish! Totally hooked now, booked up my next 2 sessions to see me up to my UKARA sign up. Then it’s time to buy some nice kit and guns :) 

If any of the Marshall's were taking pictures they should appear on Facebook in a couple of days.

Did you end up doing the full day?

And how did you find the games?

6 hours ago, Iceni said:

If any of the Marshall's were taking pictures they should appear on Facebook in a couple of days.

Did you end up doing the full day?

And how did you find the games?

There were photos being taken so I’ll keep an eye out for them.

I only did the half day and it was just right to be honest, I managed to run about and enjoy it but had a sore ankle in the afternoon. Next time I won’t run and jump around as much!

The games were really good fun, there were over 50 people I heard someone say, so lots of action going on everywhere.

The gun was pretty useless so I’ve ordered a G&G raider-S to take with me for now. Once I get a RIF I’ll keep that one as a backup and swap over the attachments to the new one.

The staff were really nice and very helpful regarding questions and UKARA info.

57 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Great to hear that you enjoyed it, and good call on the G&G, it should serve you well

Thank you, I’m so glad I finally went to one  :) 

I’m really looking forward to getting the rifle this week so I can have a practice on my targets before the next game, and get used to the reflex sights.

If you want to set the sights up head down to the Greyhound shooting club.

It costs £5 to shoot on the target range all day. And you can take AEG's. They don't sell ammo as it's an air rifle club.

But it will give you a seated shooting experience with your gun, and put some BB's on target. Set the sights ect.

Don't expect to be hitting the air rifle targets! Airsoft isn't that accurate, but the logs and white boards that are set out are good indicators, and the range is set up with yard markers. If you can make a BB fly from one corner to the other then that is about the max range an AEG can have.

We go down every now and again when we have guns to sort out. You can spend the day plinking and no one will bother you. There are a few rules the main one been the whistle. If it blows it's guns down till it blows again (someone is setting up a target and walking onto the range).

http://www.greyhoundgunclub.co.uk/about.html

2 hours ago, Iceni said:

It costs £5 to shoot on the target range all day. And you can take AEG's. They don't sell ammo as it's an air rifle club.

But it will give you a seated shooting experience with your gun, and put some BB's on target. Set the sights ect.

Don't expect to be hitting the air rifle targets! Airsoft isn't that accurate, but the logs and white boards that are set out are good indicators, and the range is set up with yard markers. If you can make a BB fly from one corner to the other then that is about the max range an AEG can have.

We go down every now and again when we have guns to sort out. You can spend the day plinking and no one will bother you. There are a few rules the main one been the whistle. If it blows it's guns down till it blows again (someone is setting up a target and walking onto the range).

http://www.greyhoundgunclub.co.uk/about.html

That’s brilliant thanks for letting me know. I didn’t realise you could go to a range like that.

My house and private area of the garden aren’t very long so I will struggle setting the sights to any real distance, I’ll have to try a place like that.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Iceni said:

Wow, that looks ace.  I'd love to have something like that available - usually I have to resort to basic garage plinking, then doing rushed morning and lunchtime bodges on site.

Last time I checked (... checks again... ) yup, the local shooting clubs are members only and have waiting lists to even get in the door. :(

If anyone knows of an open-to-all shooting range near Glasgow, please holler.

Archived