Good mags for Marui (High Cycle) Steyr AUG Airsoft Gun AEG (Black)

Taiga
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Need some decent mags for the Marui (High Cycle) Steyr AUG Airsoft Gun AEG (Black), ordering from fire-support and pretty much only have the option between marui HI-cap/Mid-cap mags and ASG mags. Heard of feeding issues with the ASG Mags in the marui, anyone got knowledge of if this issue is actually true.

Marui AEG Hi-Cap Magazine for AUG High Cycle (330 rnd) £28

Marui AEG Mid-Cap Magazine for Steyr AUG (80 rnd) £15

ASG Magazine for Steyr AUG A1/A2/A3 AEG (110 Round) £9

ASG Magazine Steyr AUG A1/A2/A3 45 Rounds. £16

I use ASG High cap mags with no issue on my High cycle. Midcaps are the ones that have most problems with Augs. 

1 minute ago, Asomodai said:

I use ASG High cap mags with no issue on my High cycle. Midcaps are the ones that have most problems with Augs. 

You recon it would be better to cash out on a TM high-cap then? Since Fire-support only have the 110 round ASG Mid-cap mags.

Never heard of any aug mags feeding badly. I don't have a TM HC, but my ASG A3 shoots at 25rps.

I use:

MAG 170rnd
King arms 110rnd
ASG high cap
JG high cap
APS high cap
TM high cap
Battleaxe 110rnd

Personally I love the MAG 170rnd mags. If you can find them those are the mags to get. They have the best balance between capacity and not needing to be wound on.

If you want cheap go with king arms or battle axe 110rnd. They can be had for very cheap if you search about a bit.

None of my mags have any feed issues in either of my augs. I do oil my mags tho, Some don't.

1 minute ago, ShirouAshiya said:

You recon it would be better to cash out on a TM high-cap then? Since Fire-support only have the 110 round ASG Mid-cap mags.

I only got them because I was desperate for mags for a game. If I had the cash and time at the time then I would always go with the original TM mags. 

28 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

I only got them because I was desperate for mags for a game. If I had the cash and time at the time then I would always go with the original TM mags. 

Well, statistic, the marui high-cap holds the same amount as 3 ASG mid caps and is the same price of 3 to. I think the most I've ever gotten though in half a game day was 1.5 High-cap mags.

It would depend on how much you use full auto.

I tend to double tap shots but rarely full auto. So  a single 170rns midcap might last me a couple of games. To put this into context I took my g3 out last shoot and used less than 250bb's all day, All shots were aimed and were attempting to be kill shots.

When I do go full auto I can cycle all my mags in record time. Normally I have around 1500bb's in mid caps at the start of a game, And sometimes I can burn through all of those and have to reload. Generally when that is happening I'm not shooting for a kill, I'm hitting a barricade or wall to keep heads down whilst the rest of the team is advancing, because one of the sites I play at has a spawn system when you cannot buddy spawn under fire (even if it's never going to hit you, but to negate a 10 second buddy spawn you need to burst about every 8 seconds).

So it's not a question any of us can answer because we don't know how you play.

Personally I love a midcap loadout. It doesn't rattle, and you don't have to do any winding. The disadvantage is you will have to cycle your mags more, and do less suppressive fire and more aimed kill shots.

I ended up just going with the TM 330 High-cap mag. Main reason for this was because for one, I know I wont have feed issues, two, there's not much difference compared to other mags if I compare rounds, and three, I have the freedom to be able to full auto or tap when I like.

• 9 months later...

I've just figured out that because of the way the AUG is designed, with the quick release barrel assembly, that after a bit you have to hold the barrel and pull it towards the upper receiver.

This brings the hopup unit inline with the mag feeding nipple. I know because when I put a fresh mag in and listen to the mag, when I pull the barrel towards me I hear the BB'S feeding into the hop up. If I hold the barrel towards me I have no feeding issues. But when I let go and hold just the upper receiver I have misfeeding like crazy. Every shot is either blank or double feeds with the bbs going nowhere basically.

So, its not the mags, it's not the hop up unit (at all because of manufacture or to tight a hop up bucking) and its not the air nozzle being too long or too short. Its the fact that the gun works fine when first bought, but then we have fun taking the barrel out and putting it back in, and that wearers/rubs away the paintwork and then there's 1mm-2mm of play in the barrel assembly and that stops the hopup unit aligning perfectly with the magwell, and thus causes feeding issues. I hope this solves the whole AUG feeding issue as I've seen loads of solutions but have never found one that helps me.

1 minute ago, C_Rex said:

I've just figured out that because of the way the AUG is designed, with the quick release barrel assembly, that after a bit you have to hold the barrel and pull it towards the upper receiver.

This brings the hopup unit inline with the mag feeding nipple. I know because when I put a fresh mag in and listen to the mag, when I pull the barrel towards me I hear the BB'S feeding into the hop up. If I hold the barrel towards me I have no feeding issues. But when I let go and hold just the upper receiver I have misfeeding like crazy. Every shot is either blank or double feeds with the bbs going nowhere basically.

So, its not the mags, it's not the hop up unit (at all because of manufacture or to tight a hop up bucking) and its not the air nozzle being too long or too short. Its the fact that the gun works fine when first bought, but then we have fun taking the barrel out and putting it back in, and that wearers/rubs away the paintwork and then there's 1mm-2mm of play in the barrel assembly and that stops the hopup unit aligning perfectly with the magwell, and thus causes feeding issues. I hope this solves the whole AUG feeding issue as I've seen loads of solutions but have never found one that helps me.

My solution would be to make the  'locking part of the barrel assembly a lil thicker by about 1-2mm to help keep the barrel Assembly further back to allow seemless feeding. (I will post pictures up later this week to help illustrate what I mean).

Have you done anything to the inner barrel and the hop unit?

The Aug upper uses the spring tension of the hop unit to lock the upper to the lower tightly. Since you are claiming movement on the upper it is almost certainly the hop that is the problem.

You can not use a shimmed barrel in an Aug at all. It must be free to move forwards and backwards in the upper on the spring. Likewise, it is possible to have screws that hold the hop unit in place that are a fraction too long. Same deal as the shimmed inner barrel, it stops the assembly moving on the spring.

The brass collar ring can also reduce the distance the hop can move back if you installed it on the end of the hop and it is visible in the screw slides at the front of the hop unit. I cut my buckings and put the ring forward of the C clip to stop this happening.

Upgrade barrels that are tight in the upper are also a no-no for the Aug. If the hop isn't sat as far back as possible under it's own spring tension, and it doesn't return to that position every time then the problem is there.

The hop distance is set by the plastic spacer at the back of the hop unit. Provided you have the little black spacer in place the magwell/mag, and hop will all line up. The spacer is the key to the whole system and is what allows the Aug to line up correctly. If you have lost that little locking plastic part then buy a spare hop unit to get another. Without it the hop will sit closer to the gearbox, close the mag feed, Give you an over length air nozzle and a whole host of misfeeds. It's an important insignificant part.

Adjusting the locking pin is exactly the wrong thing to do. It will put pressure on the front of the magwell and crack it. And it won't sort out the real problems. The upper might be tighter, but the hop unit will still fail to sit correctly against the gearbox.

The correct fix if all of the above is right is to remove the hop and stretch the hop spring. It'll give you more locking force without adding strain to the inner plastic parts. You should be able to feel the hop engage and the spring tension when you slide the upper onto the lower. If you can't feel any tension then you have either something set wrong, or you are missing a part.

48094871287_4da0977887_b.jpg

I have a ASG Steyr AUG A2. I replaced the stock barrel to a 6.03 madbull Python V2, replaced the hop up with a lonex hopup, changed the bucking to a madbull 60° shark with fishbone, and replaced the air nozzle with a Avengers CNC Delrin Air Nozzle for AUG Series. I've not lost any parts though I cannot get the brass ring to fit over the madbull barrel or the original barrel and get it inside the lonex hop up unit as its to tight but its fine on the original hop up unit. Also the spacer on the back of the lonex hop up unit is so loose that it falls off when I remove the barrel from the upper receiver so I just added a little Teflon tape to stop it slipping around. Not so much that its tight tight but just enough to stop the wiggling.

The madbull barrel is not tight in the outer barrel and has a little room to move. 

Madbull Python fits the AUG outer barrel, I actually have one. It's been shot twice because it performs pretty badly compared to the Stock and the ZCI. Coated barrels like the madbull even if they work flawlessly are only as good as the coating, and have a far shorter life that the bog standard steel ZCI. 

Lonex hop unit I have never bothered with. I have several of the plastic ones and the CNC airsoft pro. The CNC one offered no advantages over the plastic ones. I keep it for spare but it's not on any of my augs. It sits on a short barrel in the gun bag just in case I tear a bucking and don't want to rebuild the stock units.

The Air nozzle might be your problem. Augs are notorious for having air nozzle issues. And you must get exactly the correct length.  There was a thread on this on one of the other forums a few years ago where a user actually bought several nozzles and measured them all. The variation was pretty big. 24.8mm is the generally accepted length.

The G36 is the most common reason for bad nozzles. They have a range of sizes from 24.2 to 25.2mm And you will often see G36/Aug nozzle on the sales description. If you have picked up an offsized nozzle then that can and does cause misfeeds. Too long they won't let the BB's into the hop, Too short the BB won't get pushed past the feed lips. It's got to be right. 

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/air-nozzles/ra-aug-aluminium-nozzle

I take it you only started to get feed issues when you started to upgrade the barrel and hop.

Archived