Any World War One?

Commie_1990
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

How popular/ un popular is World War One? As a loudout? Only I think it would be quite cool to see a German storm trooper in a airsoft match 

• Supporters

not very, apart from the occasional re-enactor on his day off.

i suspect the reason isn't that it isn't as valid a loadout as any other but more that it's far enough back that you're not really going to be effective if you're doing it properly. ww2 at least has a brace of smg, lmg and even assault rifles that you can pick from that in airsoft will be standard aeg internals, but ww1 you're pretty much stuck to pistols or bolt action rifles, and that's going to leave you at a huge disadvantage in a field full of m4's.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

not very, apart from the occasional re-enactor on his day off.

i suspect the reason isn't that it isn't as valid a loadout as any other but more that it's far enough back that you're not really going to be effective if you're doing it properly. ww2 at least has a brace of smg, lmg and even assault rifles that you can pick from that in airsoft will be standard aeg internals, but ww1 you're pretty much stuck to pistols or bolt action rifles, and that's going to leave you at a huge disadvantage in a field full of m4's.

Very true, although the Germans did have SMGs in ww1 so if you could convert a sten that would level out ththe field. But I get your point on how disadvantaged you'd be as a ww1 

• Supporters

indeed, possibly bf1 might lead to some more ww1 era stuff coming out, but realistically you've got the bergmann, lewis, chauchat, BAR, rsc and the villar perosa being pretty much the only "auto" types of shoulder firearm you'd realistically findon the battlefield.

thing is most of those are gonna be massive, heavy, and awkward.

now if someone had the dosh to make a maxim/vickers.....

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

indeed, possibly bf1 might lead to some more ww1 era stuff coming out, but realistically you've got the bergmann, lewis, chauchat, BAR, rsc and the villar perosa being pretty much the only "auto" types of shoulder firearm you'd realistically findon the battlefield.

thing is most of those are gonna be massive, heavy, and awkward.

now if someone had the dosh to make a maxim/vickers.....

Ive seen people take the AGM sten and make it into a MP-18... and a vickers would be devistating 

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, Commie_1990 said:

Ive seen people take the AGM sten and make it into a MP-18... and a vickers would be devistating 

not sure a vickers would be that devastating unless it was set up properly, thing is its easy flanked and no way you're fighting effectively in an attacking game with one.

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

not sure a vickers would be that devastating unless it was set up properly, thing is its easy flanked and no way you're fighting effectively in an attacking game with one.

True, I guess If you has adequate flank protection you'd be fine  

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Commie_1990 said:

True, I guess If you has adequate flank protection you'd be fine  

indeed, maybe as a site weapon for a fortification, leave it out there charged and just dump ammo into the can and shoot.

• Supporters

Past few yrs I’ve seen a few in WW1 ‘tommy’ kit at the NAE , lad I saw this yr had a broom handle mouser on his hip and a pukka looking scope on his Lee Enfield .

So he was covered for long shots AND ‘up close and personal’ ! 👍

30 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

indeed, maybe as a site weapon for a fortification, leave it out there charged and just dump ammo into the can and shoot.

Exactly 

21 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Past few yrs I’ve seen a few in WW1 ‘tommy’ kit at the NAE , lad I saw this yr had a broom handle mouser on his hip and a pukka looking scope on his Lee Enfield .

So he was covered for long shots AND ‘up close and personal’ ! 👍

Hes very very prepared then!!🤣😁

• Supporters

BAR is the only airsoft weapon that actually exists and saw use in the conflict that I can think would be at all valid in airsoft vs M4s.. maybe shoot n' scoot do a No1 SMLE that you could use for the hell of it?  Or just a 1911 or Luger (or other pistol of the era) if you're playing indoor, seeing as pistol only is just as effective as anything else at very 'close' sites.  Making a Sten in to an MP-18 is a non starter to my mind, they're so different you might as well build the thing from scratch given how simple the body of the Sten is - at most just take its' internals, because none of the outside is of any real relevance unless you only want a very, very vague approximation.  Hope you know someone with an impressively well stocked machine shop, loads of tools and experience.

There's airsoft lever actions that exist, not sure if they're the same ones as the Russians bought and used a fair bit.  Shotguns would be the other one but I'm not sure if there's any airsoft replicas of shotguns from that time period, because that's getting pretty damn specific.  Only other option is get a 1903, SMLE or Mosin (not sure about period correct versions of the G98 in airsoft).. maybe able to find a scope that can be adapted and mounted for some sniper play?  That's all I can come up with.

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

maybe shoot n' scoot do a No1 SMLE that you could use 

Wouldn’t waste you time or money on one , a good friend bought one and after near 6mths waiting and threats of legal action it finally turned up and to say it was a disappointment would be a monumental understatement , it was horrible ! it had a mix of flat head and Phillips screws used on it , the brass butt plate didn’t fit properly (when we sorced a replacement we discovered it couldn’t have been an SMLE one as the new one fitted perfectly !)  the fore sight and the rear sight were both rubber and one of the barrel bands was aluminium (that they’d tried and failed to distress) ! About the only thing that you could say was correct was the wood furniture was genuine .

my mate spent a lot more money getting it the way he’d expected it to have been from the sales pitch in the first place but the whole situation had soured his feelings to the gun and he ended up selling it a few mths late . 

• Supporters

lol, nice, pretty much sums up the majority of custom airsoft work I've personally encountered.  They come up with a cool idea, promise the moon, take the money then realise they'll actually have to deliver on the promise and go "oh shit, that's work".  I belive there was a period they put out some good guns from pics I saw many years ago on Arnies, guess that time is gone if this experience was recent.

G&G is doing a No4 anyway which I'm very tempted by personally, which may not be right for WW1 but 99% of airsofters won't know the difference and if it's reliable with it's gas mags/stripper clips it's gonna be a hell of a fun gun.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

lol, nice, pretty much sums up the majority of custom airsoft work I've personally encountered.  They come up with a cool idea, promise the moon, take the money then realise they'll actually have to deliver on the promise and go "oh shit, that's work".  I belive there was a period they put out some good guns from pics I saw many years ago on Arnies, guess that time is gone if this experience was recent.

G&G is doing a No4 anyway which I'm very tempted by personally, which may not be right for WW1 but 99% of airsofters won't know the difference and if it's reliable with it's gas mags/stripper clips it's gonna be a hell of a fun gun.

Yup nails and heads spring too mind ? 😉

yes with you on the gas No4 ! Big smiles all round if it works ?😁

5 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

BAR is the only airsoft weapon that actually exists and saw use in the conflict that I can think would be at all valid in airsoft vs M4s.. maybe shoot n' scoot do a No1 SMLE that you could use for the hell of it?  Or just a 1911 or Luger (or other pistol of the era) if you're playing indoor, seeing as pistol only is just as effective as anything else at very 'close' sites.  Making a Sten in to an MP-18 is a non starter to my mind, they're so different you might as well build the thing from scratch given how simple the body of the Sten is - at most just take its' internals, because none of the outside is of any real relevance unless you only want a very, very vague approximation.  Hope you know someone with an impressively well stocked machine shop, loads of tools and experience.

There's airsoft lever actions that exist, not sure if they're the same ones as the Russians bought and used a fair bit.  Shotguns would be the other one but I'm not sure if there's any airsoft replicas of shotguns from that time period, because that's getting pretty damn specific.  Only other option is get a 1903, SMLE or Mosin (not sure about period correct versions of the G98 in airsoft).. maybe able to find a scope that can be adapted and mounted for some sniper play?  That's all I can come up with.

Here a AGM sten that's been turned into an MP-18. For beteeen 2/300 hundered euro he'll make you a MP-18. 

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

10 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Wouldn’t waste you time or money on one , a good friend bought one and after near 6mths waiting and threats of legal action it finally turned up and to say it was a disappointment would be a monumental understatement , it was horrible ! it had a mix of flat head and Phillips screws used on it , the brass butt plate didn’t fit properly (when we sorced a replacement we discovered it couldn’t have been an SMLE one as the new one fitted perfectly !)  the fore sight and the rear sight were both rubber and one of the barrel bands was aluminium (that they’d tried and failed to distress) ! About the only thing that you could say was correct was the wood furniture was genuine .

my mate spent a lot more money getting it the way he’d expected it to have been from the sales pitch in the first place but the whole situation had soured his feelings to the gun and he ended up selling it a few mths late . 

Care to divulge the bad egg?

I know of one guy that builds a few custom guns who off the top of my head may have done an SMLE but i may be wrong, I know he's done a few guns that you wouldn't ever see normally manufactured.

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Care to divulge the bad egg?

I know of one guy that builds a few custom guns who off the top of my head may have done an SMLE but i may be wrong, I know he's done a few guns that you wouldn't ever see normally manufactured.

Don’t worry his reputation should be intact (unless he owns shoot and scoot) I was referencing the rifle that CK mentioned . 👍

6 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

isn't that a post war one? looks closer to an mp28.

the mp18 had a weird angled magwell as it took luger mags.

I think it's the best he could do with the constraints 

• Supporters
7 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

In that case check out skunkworks

Yes Matt’s work is awesome quality ! After seeing a couple of S&S guns and a skunkworks gun total poles apart ! Considering there the ones with the big name I’m sorry but the the three guns I’ve seen were quite frankly shit quality for the price .😡

Archived