Gas Tavor vents with all mags after 10 dry test rounds

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all.

Just running a test fire with my KWA GBBr Tavor. Hopefully skirmishing with it this weekend.

The problem is it will only fire about 10-15 rounds before the bolt stops fully cycling and the mag gasses out. This happens on all the mags. I am using Green gas. It was fine in mid summer when I last fired it. It is now September and the temperature has dropped to 20 degrees Centigrade, is there a problem with the Tavor or do I need to use red gas now?

Cheers!

11 minutes ago, E21A said:

Is that dry firing? Or with BBs loaded? 

Dry firing, does that make a difference? It didn't during the summer. 

2 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Dry firing, does that make a difference? It didn't during the summer. 

It may do, not sure how a lack off BB may affect how the gas travels through the gun. Worth trying it with BBs loaded first, something simple to rule out. 

Ive never had an issue at that sort of temp with my WE G36c, different gun I know but it’s still pretty warm 

44 minutes ago, E21A said:

It may do, not sure how a lack off BB may affect how the gas travels through the gun. Worth trying it with BBs loaded first, something simple to rule out. 

Ive never had an issue at that sort of temp with my WE G36c, different gun I know but it’s still pretty warm 

I just tried it again with two mags, green gas and BBS. One mag was colder as I used it earlier and managed 28 BBS before gassing out and the other mag which I haven't used today managed 35. I am pretty sure I filled both up to 20 seconds.

This is still disappointing, is this normal? I am using WE2.0 gas. Should I be looking at red gas or a problem with the gun?

Its 20 degrees C outside but reckon its more like 16 inside which is where I am firing it.

If you haven’t changed anything on the gun since it last fired fine then different gas is the first place to start. The fact you mentioned the colder mag fired less shots leads me to believe that gas type is your issue. 

Edit: fill a mag with gas, put it your pocket for half an hour and try again, if you get more shots off it’s the gas type 

Not having a BB in I think can effect the gas efficiency because the rocket valve inside the nozzle works of pressure differences. 

Its nowhere near cold enough for your gbbr to be giving you shit, so there’s a few things that could be wrong...

not a lot of gas left in the can... once green gas gets to about 1/3 full I find it drops off in pressure ever so slightly and efficiently can suffer. 

Not filling for long enough... fill with the gas can pointing directly down and do not remove it until it stops making a sound and the pressure between the mag and the bottle has equalised.

gas too weak... this shouldn’t really be an issue as KWA rifles are usually short stroked, but trying red gas; or better yet propane can greatly improve things. 

Besides that it could be a mag/nozzle seal that’s not the best, nozzle o ring/skirt isn’t sealing properly or a nozzle return spring damaged

Just a quick update. Used a brand new can of Ultra air green gas. I can get through about 30 rounds. Anything after that there is not enough gas power to lock the bolt back. Similar results when I go through a mag on full auto. 

I guess I need to try red gas now right?

Ultra air gas? There’s your problem. Nuprol red or just use propane like me and all of your issues will go away. I keep telling people this gas is shit.

we did a test with a WE scar H. That crap couldn’t finish one mag. Propane and nuprol red finished 3 mags

13 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Just a quick update. Used a brand new can of Ultra air green gas. I can get through about 30 rounds. Anything after that there is not enough gas power to lock the bolt back. Similar results when I go through a mag on full auto. 

I guess I need to try red gas now right?

Ah, ultra air! I tried launching a tag round with that stuff once, it went about 4ft 😂

8 hours ago, Wo1f said:

Ultra air gas? There’s your problem. Nuprol red or just use propane like me and all of your issues will go away. I keep telling people this gas is shit.

we did a test with a WE scar H. That crap couldn’t finish one mag. Propane and nuprol red finished 3 mags

48 minutes ago, E21A said:

Ah, ultra air! I tried launching a tag round with that stuff once, it went about 4ft 😂

So not all green gas is born equal? Shame I bought 3 cans of this stuff. Do you think its weak enough to use in my plastic slide TM Strike Warrior? Need to waste it somehow. Though I do plan on buying a KSG which might take it. Thing is it seems to have the same performance as the Nuprol 2.0 that I was using. 

So its more likely to be crap gas then crap compression in the Tavor? Do you think red gas will keep the limit under 350? Currently running at 310 on green. 

Asg ultrair has a 10% butane content which lowers the pressure as a whole. Unless it’s a scorpion evo, stay away from ASG stuff. Their pistols are shit and painted with a brush and their gas is worse. 

It should be fine for anything TM as it’s built to run on weak gas. 

Red might add a couple FPS but it shouldn’t be putting you anywhere near your limit. If you seriously want to use your Tavor on a regular basis, I’d highly reccomend you buy a propane adapter for £10 and run propane. It’s much cheaper and much more reliable than green gas

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:32, Wo1f said:

Asg ultrair has a 10% butane content which lowers the pressure as a whole. Unless it’s a scorpion evo, stay away from ASG stuff. Their pistols are shit and painted with a brush and their gas is worse. 

It should be fine for anything TM as it’s built to run on weak gas. 

Red might add a couple FPS but it shouldn’t be putting you anywhere near your limit. If you seriously want to use your Tavor on a regular basis, I’d highly reccomend you buy a propane adapter for £10 and run propane. It’s much cheaper and much more reliable than green gas

Had a tech look over the Tavor. The o-rings were dry as a bone! Should be OK for this weekend. Though I did pick up some Red gas just in case!

8 Mags. 440 quids worth, 6KG all on one vest :(

42197348_10156459485315560_1631111678600937472_n.jpg

38 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Had a tech look over the Tavor. The o-rings were dry as a bone! Should be OK for this weekend. Though I did pick up some Red gas just in case!

8 Mags. 440 quids worth, 6KG all on one vest :(

42197348_10156459485315560_1631111678600937472_n.jpg

Glad it’s sorted. I’d still avoid ultrair like the plague though. 

Carrying those mags is all part of the awesomeness!

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:18, Wo1f said:

Glad it’s sorted. I’d still avoid ultrair like the plague though. 

Carrying those mags is all part of the awesomeness!

God damn. The temperature dropped to just 11 degrees on Sunday. I used Red gas and was 15 FPS above the limit and it was still dumping gas at the 30 round mark. Not sure whether to blame the temperature or the gun at this point! 

1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

God damn. The temperature dropped to just 11 degrees on Sunday. I used Red gas and was 15 FPS above the limit and it was still dumping gas at the 30 round mark. Not sure whether to blame the temperature or the gun at this point! 

Either a design flaw or an issue. All of my gas guns will finish a mag at that temp. The mws works in sub zero. Have you checked your compression? And when you pull the charging handle back, does the nozzle stay in the hop chamber for a little bit?

• Supporters
On 20/09/2018 at 10:02, Asomodai said:

Do you think its weak enough to use in my plastic slide TM Strike Warrior? Need to waste it somehow. Though I do plan on buying a KSG which might take it.

I’ve only ever run propane in all my gas guns (TM included) plastic and metal framed with no problem .

if your getting a KSG be warned if you get the SATS CnC’ed tank for it most gases bar 144 will take it over 350fps due to the hi-flow valve on it . 

30 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Either a design flaw or an issue. All of my gas guns will finish a mag at that temp. The mws works in sub zero. Have you checked your compression? And when you pull the charging handle back, does the nozzle stay in the hop chamber for a little bit?

Everything seemed fine that I could view on Sunday. Will get the tech to look at it. Just needed to make sure that this was not a temp issue. 

12 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I’ve only ever run propane in all my gas guns (TM included) plastic and metal framed with no problem .

if your getting a KSG be warned if you get the SATS CnC’ed tank for it most gases bar 144 will take it over 350fps due to the hi-flow valve on it . 

I'll just be using the standard tanks thanks! Hopefully i'll have it for the AFUK mall event :)

Archived