Large head goggles

vexedben
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, first post on here so here goes. Does anyone have any suggestions for goggles that would fit a wide/large head. I tried some revision wolfspiders but found they dug into my head. I do require a prescription but maybe looking at contacts to alleviate this complication. 

Look forward to your replies. 

Ben

There are literally hundreds of goggles to try, so hard to recommend.  Something with at least a 'Thermal Lens' or maybe get a 'Mesh' goggle.  I have huge noggin myself and have several types from low profile thermals, to large single pane goggles.  (My Valken Sierra thermal ones are nice..don't fog up much, but are low profile and with glasses probably a tight fit.)

Here's an older vid showing some for glasses wearers.. :)  (Valken Sierra's are in this as well)

On a side note... Have you every considered having laser eye surgery?  I had worn glasses all my life and when I was into sports bikes and snowboarding I was always having issues with fitment and fogging etc... I bit the bullet and paid for laser surgery!  Best money I have ever spent..seriously the life change is amazing.

If you can cope with poking yourself in the eye then contact lenses are the way to go.

Do NOT get mesh goggles, terrible advice. They're sold without any kind of formal safety rating so that tells something.

Personally I prefer a pair of lightweight shooting glasses but as others have said there are hundreds out there. Sounds like you'd be better off visiting a store to try before you buy.

33 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Hero shark mesh goggles are fine.

http://heroshark.co.uk/#!/Mako/p/9943528/category=0

(general question here)

How was these rated? is there any form of QC test?

Ive always been intrigued by mesh goggles as I think of them much like a motorbike helmet (in that you get shot of it takes a bump/dropped), surely after one hit to them they should either be chucked or have the mesh replaced as a hit to them would surely alter the stability of the metal (micro splits etc)?

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

(general question here)

How was these rated? is there any form of QC test?

Ive always been intrigued by mesh goggles as I think of them much like a motorbike helmet (in that you get shot of it takes a bump/dropped), surely after one hit to them they should either be chucked or have the mesh replaced as a hit to them would surely alter the stability of the metal (micro splits etc)?

Dont know what proper testing has been done on the mesh by heroshark themselves but there must be something. A bb strike on the metal plate they use shouldn't weaken it. 

Repeated strikes on the same place on the wire mesh types have allowed it spread and allow a bb through but as far as I know this has only happened under extreme tests and only to the really crappy cheap stuff. Never heard of it happening on the field.

Hi Clumpy. This is an old post from my fb re the mesh I use.

Heroshark
about 7 months ago

I got a message the other day from a fella in Sweden. He was curious of whether my mesh would hold up to their limits (see chart including MED) and so was I, so I sent him a couple of test pieces of my hex and standard mesh. These tests were done with a 0.49g BB, doing 450fps 4.7 joule at a distance of 5cm. These images show the first shot on each mesh. I asked him to keep shooting in the same spot till the lens breached. The standard mesh breached on the 5th shot, the hex 2nd shot but tbh I expected it to breach first shot. Note the power level he was using has a MED of 40m so hopefully you would not ever get shot that close but I like to test for worst case scenarios. Thanks to Kalle Bager for his effort and infomation.

No automatic alt text available.
No automatic alt text available.
Image may contain: text

• Supporters
1 hour ago, heroshark said:

4.7 joule

Cheers, chap. For those playing along at home, this is over twice the typical 2.3J 500fps x 0.2g on most UK sites.  And something I've been banging on about is that a steel 6mm BB masses 0.86g, so 0.49g is starting to take the piss a bit.

4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Cheers, chap. For those playing along at home, this over twice the typical 2.3J 500fps x 0.2g on most UK sites.  And something I've been banging on about is that a steel 6mm BB masses 0.86g, so 0.49g is starting to take the piss a bit.

Np bud.

Archived