UKARA self check issue

Socky
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

I have asked a lot of these questions in the past, but always prefer to be on the safe side. So I did a UKARA self check today and was told the UKARA expired last week - does this now mean *strictly speaking* to make the sale would be illegal?

Socky

15 minutes ago, Socky said:

Someone else's, UKARA is all they have sadly so thats all i can go off

Your call then, if you’re satisfied they’re a genuine airsofter, fine. Any doubts, not fine.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Socky said:

does this now mean *strictly speaking* to make the sale would be illegal

Strictly speaking - the best kind of speaking -  it's illegal with or without a UKARA.

A person is guilty of an offence if he sells a realistic imitation firearm.

If charged, it shall be a defence to show that the conduct was for the purpose only of making the imitation firearm in question available for [a variety of reasons, one of which is] the organisation and holding of permitted activities, which (probably) refers to airsoft skirmishing.

The reason that I'm linking directly to the Act, the Regulations and the explanatory notes is that - strictly speaking - there's no unambiguous answer to your question, since there's no case law on this that we're aware of.

For my own part, I'll note that UKARA only provides some indication of what a buyer has done, not what they will do, and it's a curious defence which requires the seller to predict the future.

A player could do 3 days in 2 months, then go 365 days without playing again, and still be assumed (by UKARA) to be an active skirmisher.  That's a bit of a stretch to adducing a defence "for the purposes only of" airsoft skirmishing.

But the tl;dr version is anyone who's managed to ever get a UKARA is unlikely to be a person who'll do something with a RIF that will bring it to the attention of the State.  That means that in practice it's just not going to be an issue for you.

Archived