Airsoft Questionnaire

ACA
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

@ACA I’m not going to say, or be, sorry.

You’re whole attitude, in my opinion, stinks. You want to set up a business, yet insist on being rude to your potential customers.

The best interpretation I can see of that rudeness is that it’s unintential from you (It’s easy to do in the written form, goodness knows I’ve done it myself). That in itself is an appalling error of judgement, from a perspective business owner. 

I fervently hope it is just that, and not your natural demeanour 

All the best in your future endeavours, but I will not be taking part in any of them

rdb 

47 minutes ago, ACA said:

I shall be dealing with the info, in the same way, I deal with my business, client's details as I have ICO registration.

I have no idea of your business practices, due to you not outlining them or providing a link to them in the survey. But never mind because- 

1 hour ago, ACA said:

I've written a number of different replies to this but deleted them all because I keep coming back to is REALLY!

Tells me that you do not take data security seriously, so I won't be filling you survey in as it is just now. 

If you simply remove the first 4 questions (or at least make them optional) then that would be more acceptable to me. 

I agree with Arwen.

Don't take it as a personal attack, it's not just about you being above board,  even copmanies like BA, who one would hope invest in a lot of IT security, suffer data breaches.

Hackers join multiple sources of data and an email address makes that much easier.

Cheers

G

Just now, Arwen said:

I have no idea of your business practices, due to you not outlining them or providing a link to them in the survey. But never mind because- 

Tells me that you do not take data security seriously, so I won't be filling you survey in as it is just now. 

If you simply remove the first 4 questions (or at least make them optional) then that would be more acceptable to me. 

That is absolutely fine, I think I've sorted it. It's only the first three isn't it age, gender, profession? the forth is: how often do you play. Please let me know if I'm correct and I'll post a new link. Gender would have been good to know, for women only games, and age would have been good for under & over games.

2 minutes ago, MisterG said:

I agree with Arwen.

Don't take it as a personal attack, it's not just about you being above board,  even copmanies like BA, who one would hope invest in a lot of IT security, suffer data breaches.

Hackers join multiple sources of data and an email address makes that much easier.

Cheers

G

Thanks for the positivity. Just trying to do a good thing for Airsoft

31 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

@ACA I’m not going to say, or be, sorry.

You’re whole attitude, in my opinion, stinks. You want to set up a business, yet insist on being rude to your potential customers.

The best interpretation I can see of that rudeness is that it’s unintential from you (It’s easy to do in the written form, goodness knows I’ve done it myself). That in itself is an appalling error of judgement, from a perspective business owner. 

I fervently hope it is just that, and not your natural demeanour 

All the best in your future endeavours, but I will not be taking part in any of them

rdb 

I wasn't expecting you to, or be. I honestly don't think I was being rude by asking to complete a questionnaire or by defending myself against aspersions cast against me and my good intentions. I replied to some comments in the same way they were put to me and others with some degree of personalization to try and help people realize (obviously wrongly) I am not a scammer or a data whatever it is. Thank you for your closing best wishes and I'M sorry I made you feel this way.

22 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Here is the new link. I realised that the first question isn't even on my list of questions I typed in, it is, in fact, a checkbox which I have now turned off so it shouldn't collect the e-mail addresses. Please let me know.

https://goo.gl/forms/VrZPfL1xx4V7QuhZ2

• Head Moderator
27 minutes ago, ACA said:

and age would have been good for under & over games.

In that case you need to alter the age range to "Under 18" because they cannot legally buy or be sold an airsoft gun (IF or RIF).  Then have "18-22" because that captures the majority of university students.

2 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

In that case you need to alter the age range to "Under 18" because they cannot legally buy or be sold an airsoft gun (IF or RIF).  Then have "18-22" because that captures the majority of university students.

I’ll have to change it tomorrow, and thanks for 

the advice.

I think gender can stay as required as there is a “rather not say” option.

E-mail off

Profession now not compulsory to move on

age is now required but options are 12 - 17, 17 - 22 & 22+

https://goo.gl/forms/cCkE8hKd7ZbINnCD3

12 hours ago, ACA said:

Fine.

Ignore him. He's being unreasonable and overly paranoid about personal security as are most posting about data protection. In fact some are being downright pathetic on this matter.  Seems you've hit a nerve but I wouldn't worry.

Personally I doubt I'd play speed soft. I'd rather play in woodland or a purpose built cqb area. I really dislike inflatable barriers and that has nothing to do with bouncing off one face first aged 6 riding a 25cc dirt bike.

1 hour ago, Duff said:

Ignore him. He's being unreasonable and overly paranoid about personal security as are most posting about data protection. In fact some are being downright pathetic on this matter.  Seems you've hit a nerve but I wouldn't worry.

Personally I doubt I'd play speed soft. I'd rather play in woodland or a purpose built cqb area. I really dislike inflatable barriers and that has nothing to do with bouncing off one face first aged 6 riding a 25cc dirt bike.

You may know some things Duff, but you clearly know nothing about the importance of data protection. Just because you fail to understand the consequences of something does not make it irrelevant, and it does not make those who do know what the consequences can be paranoid or pathetic. 

58 minutes ago, Arwen said:

You may know some things Duff, but you clearly know nothing about the importance of data protection. Just because you fail to understand the consequences of something does not make it irrelevant, and it does not make those who do know what the consequences can be paranoid or pathetic. 

OK, I think we have covered the data protection risks and the reasons why it's required. As a business owner, I for one am bombarded daily if not twice daily with calls from London, Manchester, Switzerland, Germany, HongKong, Australia to name a few. From expensive wine collections, health insurance, PPI, Pensions, Advertising in magazines that don't actually materialize (supposedly for adds in Ambulance, Fire Brigade, Police, child safety, crime prevention mags, the list goes on - lost £8K). Even a Russian gamer hacking my PayPal and e-bay & buying equipment.

2 hours ago, Duff said:

Duff, I don't really want to call it Speedsoft or typically any of the names being touted around by the various venues, players as they are either derived from paintball, America or named after a specific site (Who gets there name recognised first sticks (Vacume cleaner - Hover)). The point you make about "rather play in woodland or purpose built CQB' is exactly why I asked some of the questions, so people could tell me what they want from a site.

1 minute ago, Arwen said:

I did post last night saying your ammended survey was much better @ACA. My post this morning is direct at @Duff.

I know don't worry about it. We all just need to stay focused. To get a potential new site for the players by the players - hopefully.

1 hour ago, Arwen said:

Having worked in the banking and financial sector for over 15 years, I can garuntee you I understand data protection better than you understand the intricacies of a deep fried Mars bar. Please try not to get upset and belittle someone because they don't agree with you, it does your debate zero favours.

@ACA What would you call it?

11 minutes ago, Duff said:

Having worked in the banking and financial sector for over 15 years, I can garuntee you I understand data protection better than you understand the intricacies of a deep fried Mars bar. Please try not to get upset and belittle someone because they don't agree with you, it does your debate zero favours.

@Duff I haven't really decided. I might even put that out there for suggestions.

• Head Moderator

Moderator message 

Now let’s leave any personal digs aside and focus on the topic.  The OP can rebuff any comments directed at himself.

On 14/09/2018 at 11:29, ACA said:

@Duff I haven't really decided. I might even put that out there for suggestions.

You may struggle to call it anything other than what it is...and it is speedsoft, even if that does take its form from paintball.

If you call it what it is (its speedsoft, its called that everywhere else and by trying to brand it as something else might not do many favours in the long run) then you will get the clientele that want to do that sort of thing and not people thinking its something else based on the name. A fair few people have already fallen foul of advertising games as one thing but on the day it being completely different and taking a lot of flack after the fact.

• L3wisD locked this topic
  • Head Moderator

Moderator Message

One member has ignored my previous message, and yet again resorted to an unintelligent and personal rant. 

There is absolutely no need to be abusive on these forums.

Having received previous warnings for aggressive posts and poor behaviour he has been banned from the forum.

wow-ban-hammer.jpg

• Supporters

I just had an unintelligent and personal rant in the questionnaire, but you can't prove nuffin, copper.

OK, I tried to be helpful, but the number of leading questions did get irksome.  There's no point in asking for opinions on anything other than the small field outdoor speedsoft that OP wants to run, since that's just a waste of both parties' time.

Best of luck.

I've said before that the focus of this forum should be about helping each other out where possible and there seem to be a lot of serious keyboard warriors out there who want to pick up on every tiny little minor detail about every single post, idea, comment etc.

I think the guy is only trying to better our community and everyone just jumped on his back. Even if he'd done a few things inappropriately, or incorrectly, the way some people on here address those faux pas' is quite frankly just not very nice.

As for data protection/GDPR, did you all check how your email and password are stored on the server that hosts this forum before you registered? Of course not! how would you even go about doing that without contacting the owner directly, and then sim ply taking his/her /other (let's be PC before the keyboard warriors jump on again) word for it?  Have you noticed that the forum keeps track of what devices have logged in to your account recently, and where from? (granted, the location is not accurate).

I've worked as a business software developer for quite a long time now and I can tell you that there are still a LOT of professional outfits and website owners out there who have zero regard for data protection, even storing data in plain text isn't unheard of.... and you guys are concerned about a bloke using google software to conduct a simple survey!?

Rant over.

Be nice to people. 

• Supporters

All that cruft has been removed, I should note, it's just an anonymous survey now.  Straight up, I tried to be constructive, but it would have been more helpful to OP if it had stuck to just asking questions about the events that he wants to run rather than allowing free-form rants and rambles.

Anyway, hopefully that won't put him or anyone else off and we'll see some more of these arenas popping up.  I'd give it a go, just for the novelty.

@callumbagshaw I'll give you the benefit of doubt… you've came to this topic when a good chunk of posts have been deleted, so a lot doesn't make sense any more and has now set you off on a rant. 

Most of us were constructive about getting the survey changed, but took offence to being told we were idiots/pathetic for ignoring data protection. 

To answer your questions, I certainly question and investigate to the best of my abilities anywhere that I put in an email address or passwords. As should everyone. It doesn't matter if it's some bloke using Google forms or a well known company refusing to conform to data laws. The risks are potentially the same for the end user.

11 hours ago, Arwen said:

@callumbagshaw I'll give you the benefit of doubt… you've came to this topic when a good chunk of posts have been deleted, so a lot doesn't make sense any more and has now set you off on a rant. 

Most of us were constructive about getting the survey changed, but took offence to being told we were idiots/pathetic for ignoring data protection. 

Ah, missed that bit then xD 

On 14/09/2018 at 10:59, Duff said:

Says the person belittling people over their choices.......

On 17/09/2018 at 12:22, Jedi_Master said:

Moderator Message

One member has ignored my previous message, and yet again resorted to an unintelligent and personal rant. 

There is absolutely no need to be abusive on these forums.

Having received previous warnings for aggressive posts and poor behaviour he has been banned from the forum.

wow-ban-hammer.jpg

He's gone?  Excellent, I will come out from under cover then...

Archived