Slow selling recently?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Or is it just me? Classifieds all over seem static, not just here.

Granted, I have a couple of expensive rifles for sale, but normally I’ll have had a fair few enquiries.

What’s the forums view? Price drop (fine by me to get things shifted) or return to standard and sell rifles and parts separately (really don’t wanna do this).

I’m looking for the fastest not necessarily the best return 😕

• Supporters

End of summer slump, same as with any fair weather hobby?

A meta consideration might be that perhaps airsoft has capped out as a hobby, but the number of RIFs available in the country is still growing.  Supply is out-stripping demand.

Or, #BlameBrexit. ;)

Selling hasn't been good for at least year unless you have a particular thing. Rogerborg has good points. I also think we just want to much money for our stuff. Along time a go airsoft gear did hold its value because of demand but its not there anymore. I have got to the stage if I am going to spend the better part of £400.00 on 2nd hand gun I just think a couple hundred more to get new seems worth it for peice of mind. 

26 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Selling hasn't been good for at least year unless you have a particular thing. Rogerborg has good points. I also think we just want to much money for our stuff. Along time a go airsoft gear did hold its value because of demand but its not there anymore. I have got to the stage if I am going to spend the better part of £400.00 on 2nd hand gun I just think a couple hundred more to get new seems worth it for peice of mind. 

Probably even longer than that. Certainly, in the case of standard mid-high end AEG's, which were affected the most due to low end (G&G CM's for example) being decent for the money, and at the higher end of the scale, you're into TM recoil money

Yeah Im not quite sure whats happened, but Ive been struggling to sell anything for a while now unless Im willing to take a pocketful of lint and half a pack of polos for it. Fed up of being bombarded with "wats the lowest u go???" PMs. Its almost as bad as selling cars on Gumtree and the "I work on oil rig, send Polish van to collect, paypal yes?" emails. 

Back when I first started airsoft about 8 or so years ago, Id be buying and selling guns like its going out of fashion. Buy something for £150-ish, see if I like it, if not sell it back on for pretty much the same price and try something else. Or if times were hard, being a pleb student, Id sell a few guns to raise some cash. I went through about 40-50 guns over a few years.

Now people expect you to sell your Krytec for £80 because they can buy a CM16 for that. "I no wot its worf innit?"

Thankfully Ive reached the point now where Ive got enough disposable income to not have to sell guns for peanuts out of necessity, so Id rather just keep hold of them and save up to buy something new rather than sell something to buy something. As a result the pile of guns in the corner of my room grows ever bigger :P

• Supporters

Haven’t sold anything on the forum classifieds in months, whereas I have sold 5 guns on UsedAirsoft in the last 3 months. Good money too. I definitely feel that the classifieds here died out when they changed the format(not blaming the format, just a time frame thing).

To be honest, I don’t think the dreamers thread helps, people don’t want to list incase it ends up there. 

For example, I listed my SSG on here for £500, UsedAirsoft for £550, sold on UsedAirsoft for £550+P&p in 20 minutes, didn’t even get a query on here for at least a week. I have since received 28 texts/phone calls asking if it’s still for sale from UsedAirsoft.

• Root Admin

I monitor the analytics closely (the Google Analytics overview is posted up every month for supporters), and traffic isn't a problem (compared to the previous forum-based system at least). This was one of the key things I was looking at when it was still being trailed, and any significant drop-off in numbers was going to be unacceptable in any case.

I know you've said about this before, but I have checked extensively to be sure that the numbers are comparable and growing (at least slightly - site-wide we grow maybe 2-3% a month on average). Classifieds are the primary way we get new members and visitor numbers for listings is taken very seriously. I suppose one could argue that traffic means nothing if they can't find what they want, but I have no bounce rates of rival sites to compare this to.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Prisce said:

To be honest, I don’t think the dreamers thread helps, people don’t want to list incase it ends up there. 

Counterpoint: I wouldn't expect anyone who ends up in the Dreamers thread to know about the Dreamers thread.

4 hours ago, BigStew said:

I agree with Bigstew's view, i look throughout the classifieds and note that the prices seem high( not for your Vectors) but it seems the price tag of some guns are quite high stating " fully upgraded" .

1 minute ago, sniperslucky said:

I agree with Bigstew's view, i look throughout the classifieds and note that the prices seem high( not for your Vectors) but it seems the price tag of some guns are quite high stating " fully upgraded" .

Yeah, fair enough. You won’t hurt my feelings on price btw, always open to honest critism. I might seriously drop both prices anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️

4 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Yeah, fair enough. You won’t hurt my feelings on price btw, always open to honest critism. I might seriously drop both prices anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️

I also think that the Nearly New TAG doesn't work as NEW is NEW & Second hand is. Others also right to state that the quality of some stater guns are cheaper than classifieds. It's always what someone is prepared to pay for rather than sellers demands imo.

Again certain guns do how value in my eyes just not every single M4 / Sniper variant . 

• Supporters

The second hand sales market hasn't been good for most people for a while.

Things like recoils and rarer guns still sell ok but anything cheap to mid range the market has dropped. With people like Specna doing good guns for a couple of hundred new who wants to pay £250 for a second hand ICS or Krytac? 

I also think that there is so much competition that sellers really do do need to be sensible on pricing. I haven't done much selling for a while but I have never bothered with here at all as places like zero in and the dedicated sites were my preference. If I build something to sell now I just let people who know me know and generally they sell themselves as can't be bothered with someone trying to low ball me. 

To put the market into perspective if you are willing to bide your time and look around there are some real bargains like TM MP7gbb and TM Glock 17 a friend of mine bought the other day. Both basically unused and perfect and I think he paid £170 for both.

40 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

To put the market into perspective if you are willing to bide your time and look around there are some real bargains like TM MP7gbb and TM Glock 17 a friend of mine bought the other day. Both basically unused and perfect and I think he paid £170 for both.

If this is the blue one I heard about these and was rather annoyed :D (as I dropped over £200 just on a Mp7) Great deal!!

• Supporters

Another factor I'll note is the buying experience.

Visit retailers online and you can view a wide range of items, compare and contrast, check out specs, get a full price including postage, then click to buy with some confidence that they'll dispatch a brand new item (BBgunz sites excepted) within a day or so, via a courier and in packaging that's likely to get to you in one piece.

View an online advert and you're looking at one specific item, often poorly described, in unknown condition, with an unknown postage price plus unknown PayPal fees, and then after the seller belatedly works out what they actually expect you to pay, you've got the thrill of seeing when and if they bother to send it, via whatever method and in whatever packaging they feel is appropriate, with very recourse once you've accepted delivery of a lemon, figuratively or even literally.

If you want me to gamble on your used item, it has to be exactly what I'm after (including any modifications) and either something that I can't get new or at a significant discount to the current lowest retail price. Particularly so if I have to put my time into hand-holding you through the process of costing up the price that I pay, and explaining how to produce a PayPal invoice listing exactly what goods and services you're providing.

On that last point, it doesn't help that I've been burned by both private and business airsoft sellers, so I'm not inclined to take anything on trust any more.

Archived