In need of an RIS for my G&G TR16 CARBINE LITE!

BradSon
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey,

I'm new here but I wondered if any would be able to help me. As the title states I've got a G&G TR16 CARBINE LITE AIRSOFT RIFLE WITH BLOWBACK - GEN 3 (MOSFET), I absolutely adore this rifle as the M4 variants are my favourite, love how they look and feel.

However the gun only comes with a standard M4 hand guard, see the attached picture, and I'm trying to swap it out for an RIS. I'm having real trouble trying to find one that fits, having bought two and neither working. I wondered if anyone on here has any suggestions or any info that could help me?

Cheers!

750-gg_rifle_top_tech_gr16_carbine_light_aeg_black.jpg

Hi

Why don't they fit?  Are you taking off the sight at the front?

Cheers

G

I haven't no, I'm a complete novice at altering airsoft rifles, the current one I have is too short to "click" in if that makes sense and not the right shape to fit into the pull back "cog" type shape at the back of the barrel. If this makes sense?

Thanks

Bradley

3 hours ago, BradSon said:

I haven't no, I'm a complete novice at altering airsoft rifles, the current one I have is too short to "click" in if that makes sense and not the right shape to fit into the pull back "cog" type shape at the back of the barrel. If this makes sense?

Thanks

Bradley

As mcwinbo said pic would be good, both of what you already bought and what you tried to do.

Many rails are free float, so don't fit into the bit at the front and also you would remove the pull back "cog" as you call it.

They would screw into the upper.

Complicated by whether what  you bought is airsoft spec or mil-spec, the

Cheers

G

Hey guys, here's a link the the one that arrived yesterday:

https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=7563

Ive also attached a picture feom the website, it doesnt give any information on the RIS which is a bit odd.

I just tried to fit it into the slots the handguard fit into, but as I said the cog or delta ring was in the way and the RIS is too short to fit ton the end sight.

So would I have to take off the delta ring? That's the cog type bit isn't it? And just fix it onto the gun itself?

708071025-MOS-RS0103.JPG

• Supporters

The 'cog' is the barrel nut, the ring around that is the delta ring, people get the 2 mixed up constantly and it causes no shortage of confusion on forums.  Don't worry about freefloat rails and the like for now as the RAS is not freefloated (i.e. it touches the front sight, to put it simply).

To mount a replica of the Knights Armament RAS/RIS (which is what you have there), then if both your barrel and rail are to the right spec then you don't need to make any mods to the weapon; it just clamps on there pretty much the same way the plastic handguards do, with the small exception of a grub screw/clamp arrangement at one end - very little work needed.

Please post up some pictures of the inside of the rail at the back where it clamps around the barrel nut as well as the barrel nut itself with the delta ring held out of the way.  Given the way G&G build guns (which is different to the real thing and most other brands) there's a good chance what you've got might not be compatible.

Thanks for the info CK, I'll take some pictures once I got home from work and post them on here. 

I'm not sure what I'm looking out for when buying the RIS/RAS, so if it's not compatible with my G&G gun would you have any you could recommend? I've contacted G&G directly asking them but they said just visit my local retailer and I don't believe there's any around me or atleast not to my knowledge, living just outside Leicester.

Cheers for the help so far guys, much appreciated!

• Supporters

Because G&G builds their stuff weird it's super hard to say what will fit, even some of their own rails might not fit given the fact their product line is huge and they've been making guns well over a decade now.

All I could suggest (if nobody posts in here who owns your exact guns and has first hand experience) is looking at other models of gun that are the same as yours just with different handguards and seeing if you can get said handguard.  You need to be very specific about it though, it can't just 'look the same' it needs to be of the same base model and probably of similar production year or there's a chance things won't fit together.  If you can find any airsoft stores that you can get to then you'll be able to actually take your gun and try stuff (if they're a nice and helpful bunch, hopefully the shop tech guy will be familiar with G&Gs).  This is the best maintained map online I know of - https://airsoftnation.co.uk/airsoftmap/ or obviously just google near you.

Thanks dude, I know they do a TR16 Raider and I believe it looks very similar if not the same model as might expect with a RIS handguard, I'll have a look at that. I've tried googling it and it's hard to find just the parts for G&G but I'll have a look if I can find any around or contact G&G

Here's some pictures, I can get some measurements in a few minutes for you, what would you like to know? The length of my barrel and the length of the RIS? I want it for purpose, as long as I've got some rails to mount things and doesn't look hideous I'm happy!

20180912_180044.jpg

20180912_180050.jpg

20180912_180121.jpg

20180912_180128.jpg

20180912_180017.jpg

• Supporters

Ok, looks like your barrel nut is pretty standard, obviously from a picture I can't tell the circumference or anything but it's standard shape.

If those pictures are of both ends of the insides of the rail then the issue is the rail, because it should have a groove cut around the inside which goes on to the 'teeth' of the barrel nut, but I'm not seeing a groove in yours in the place it should be on a proper RAS/RIS/replica.  Sufficed to say it should be very obvious which end of the rail fits inside the handguard retainer cap that's on the rear of the front sight (looks like the end shown in your last picture), so if you've got the rail the right away around and it's just not going on to your barrel nut then you should try and return the rail if you can, or sell it.  Then buy a G&G one. 

edit - having a browse for one that'll work, but it's a really old style at this point which isn't nearly as popular as it once was.  The 'raider style' ones are common but won't work as that's a different barrel nut setup.

edit 2 - I rarely actually peruse airsoft stores so I'm far from the best person to ask as I don't know the best places to look, but there seems to be slim pickings on a rail that will drop in to your style of gun these days.

Much as I hate nuprol this, in theory, should be compatible if it's manufactured properly.  Probably require taking the retainer cap off but you can do that with a hammer and drift set pretty much and you get freefloat - http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/parts-c8/external-parts-c97/bocca-series-three-rail-7-black-p4987

No idea how close APS's specs will be but this is, in theory, the right style - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-P-S-RIS-Handguard-For-Airsoft-Toy-ASR-Series-Toy-Only-APS-EE016/272224318861?hash=item3f61d5758d:g:8ysAAOSwubRXHygm

Archived