G&G Wild Hog 9" - Inner barrel upgrade

Black_Ice931
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello guys,

I've got a 9" gun, with a 205mm inner barrel (from the g&g website)(or 230mm, 247mm, 200mm, ecc..it depends by the website).

Now what I would like to do is changing the inner barrel with a longer one to get some extra range -and extra fps-, would you suggest it?

And if yes, what would you suggest to buy? And to cover it without a new rail kit?

Thank you

• Supporters

standard method of putting in a longer barrel is to chuck a suppressor on the end, although for there's also the option of thread on barrel extensions.

one thing to be careful of is if you're thinking of a significant length change then you need to check you're cylinder in the gearbox, most stock guns will have a port cut in to get the correct cylinder volume for that length of barrel (especially shorter barrels) and if you put a longer barrel in without changing the cylinder then you'll not have enough air to propel the bb all the way down and your accuracy will suffer as a result (defeating the supposed purpose of a longer barrel in the first place).

also if you're looking specifically for extra range and fps the barrel is the wrong place to look, on an AEG you won't see much significant difference and you'd be better off focusing on upgrading the hop to something like a flathop or rhop and for fps you're better off swapping springs. do that first as it'll have a bigger effect.

Hi

How much longer are you looking to go and what is your budget?

You can extend into a long suppressor, which is probably the cheapest and easiest to do, or get a barrel extender.

Up to you on the new rail, deoends on looks and what you want to attach to it.

PDI are meant to be the top of the range barrels but very expensive.  I've got Prometheus and ZCI barrels.  ZCI is the cheaper of the two, and not had issues with them.  Have a look at AK2M4's website.

Cheers

G

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

standard method of putting in a longer barrel is to chuck a suppressor on the end, although for there's also the option of thread on barrel extensions.

A guy had this kind of suppressor which was covering part of the barrel, unfortunately I dont know how it's called..and this is what i'm talking about. (and it might be the same lol)

9 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

one thing to be careful of is if you're thinking of a significant length change then you need to check you're cylinder in the gearbox, most stock guns will have a port cut in to get the correct cylinder volume for that length of barrel (especially shorter barrels) and if you put a longer barrel in without changing the cylinder then you'll not have enough air to propel the bb all the way down and your accuracy will suffer as a result (defeating the supposed purpose of a longer barrel in the first place).

how do I know if the cylinder is the correct one? i have to dismantile the gun, I believe; but then agai, how do I understand which one I have and Which one I have to use?

11 minutes ago, MisterG said:

How much longer are you looking to go and what is your budget?

10, 20m? I dont know how far I can go with these "easy" upgrade. Budget..dont know, not 200£, for sure. My gun is not so expensive lol so let's say around 100 for everything? I did not check prices yet, so dont know what to expect

21 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Up to you on the new rail, deoends on looks and what you want to attach to it.

So far with my attachments Im good, it will be used only outside and I do not need any torch or similar.

Just now, Black_Ice931 said:

10, 20m? I dont know how far I can go with these "easy" upgrade. Budget..dont know, not 200£, for sure. My gun is not so expensive lol so let's say around 100 for everything? I did not check prices yet, so dont know what to expect

I meant how much longer did you want the barrel 😉

If you are looking to get better effective range, probably need to work on your hop up first.  Have you changed the hop rubber?  That will be a fairly cheap upgrade if not.

Either a prommy purple or 60 degree Maple Leaf Macaron would be good.

Cheers

G

3 minutes ago, MisterG said:

I meant how much longer did you want the barrel 😉

Oh, I didnt get that, sorry ahah around 100/150mm?

4 minutes ago, MisterG said:

If you are looking to get better effective range, probably need to work on your hop up first.  Have you changed the hop rubber?  That will be a fairly cheap upgrade if not.

I havent opened it yet, I was thinking about how to upgrade it and I had that suggestion, using a 6.01 barrel. But I am open to everything.

The hop up have to be of a particular size or they are generic?

The Hop Rubbers I mentioned should fit most AEGs, I find the lips on the maple leaf a bit long for one of my ICS guns.

For that kind of length I would probably just add a longer suppressor or add an outer barrel extention.

Cheers

G

23 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Either a prommy purple or 60 degree Maple Leaf Macaron would be good.

Are these just the internal rubbers of the hop-up and not the whole thing, right? What will increase with them, fps or range?

15 minutes ago, MisterG said:

For that kind of length I would probably just add a longer suppressor or add an outer barrel extention.

And what if I want to get something longer like this or that? What would you suggest to do then?

Just now, Black_Ice931 said:

Are these just the internal rubbers of the hop-up and not the whole thing, right? What will increase with them, fps or range?

And what if I want to get something longer like this or that? What would you suggest to do then?

Yes the internal rubbers.  By applying more spin the BB stays straight for longer, there are various topics on this if you search the forum.

This is relatively cheap, about £10 or so.

A lower fps gun can often outperform a higher FPS one if the hop is more efficient.

What FPS do you get now?  What is your site limit?

The second link is for a 509mm barrel, you might need a new barrel or an extention and a long suppressor for that, going that long starts bringing other things into play like the cylinder volume.

If you start changing that much, might be better to look at a different gun.

Might make it look unbalanced, are you bothered about looks, or do you only care about performance?  I would do the bucking first, then PFTE mods first to see what FPS and range you get.  Then decide what to change next.

Cheers

G

1 hour ago, MisterG said:

The Hop Rubbers I mentioned should fit most AEGs, I find the lips on the maple leaf a bit long for one of my ICS guns.

Same with the wildhog, as I discovered Friday evening 

29 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Might make it look unbalanced, are you bothered about looks, or do you only care about performance?

I might try with a similar suppressor today to see how it looks - is not so long tho. I wouldnt mind a good compromise, maybe I even will like it. Dont know now.

25 minutes ago, E21A said:

Same with the wildhog, as I discovered Friday evening 

What did you do to fix it, then?

Not really, the contact patch on the maple leaf rubber is the wrong shape. Not much point changing the rubber if you don’t change the nub. 

Certainly won’t get the most out of the rubber  

Decepticon is for GBB, so won't work as your gun is an AEG.

Different classes of gun use different types of buckings and barrels.

Cheers

G

Archived