Best BB for Systema PTW - Help a returning player out.

Fenriz
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Just to give some context, im a returning player from a 2+ year hiatus; and things do seem to have moved on a long way.

I previously used to use TM Perfect Hit .25 in my PTWs, as it got round the chopping issue (sadly Excel stopped being up to the job). But now it seems you cant get hold of them for remotely sensible prices, anyone know if they were discontinued?

Either way, i wont be getting any Perfect Hits by the end of the week, and i was planning my first return skirmish for this saturday. Does anyone have any recommendations for good BBs that wont chop?

I tried using search, and after 6 pages gave up. And my google-fu doesnt seem to be too strong. Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I hope I'm not being too obtuse when I say: wut?

Systemas can occasionally "chop" cheaper BBs. If the surface is imperfect or too soft, the bb will catch on the nozzle and then get smashed by the cylinder. This sometimes leads to half a BB being ejected from the barrel, and often ends up with BB fragments inside the gearbox. Something im keen to avoid.

Used to use Excel .25 until they developed the problem (not sure why, guessing cost saving in manufacture), and switched to TM Perfect Hit. Seems theyve gone the way of the dodo in my time away from the hobby and im looking for something other PTW users use at the moment. Most of the people i know still in the hobby are using TM Recoils, which are more forgiving.

2 hours ago, Fenriz said:

Hi all,

Just to give some context, im a returning player from a 2+ year hiatus; and things do seem to have moved on a long way.

I previously used to use TM Perfect Hit .25 in my PTWs, as it got round the chopping issue (sadly Excel stopped being up to the job). But now it seems you cant get hold of them for remotely sensible prices, anyone know if they were discontinued?

Either way, i wont be getting any Perfect Hits by the end of the week, and i was planning my first return skirmish for this saturday. Does anyone have any recommendations for good BBs that wont chop?

I tried using search, and after 6 pages gave up. And my google-fu doesnt seem to be too strong. Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

G&G .28 are the go to BB for PTW's assuming the hop mod has been done, I dont know anyone that runs anything but G&G through them without issue.

18 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I hope I'm not being too obtuse when I say: wut?

Systema's dont like shit ammo, use shit ammo and they'll chew the fuck out of them ;)

1 minute ago, clumpyedge said:

G&G .28 are the go to BB for PTW's assuming the hop mod has been done, I dont know anyone that runs anything but G&G through them without issue.

Amazing, thank you! Yeah, it was hop modded back in the day. Custom M727 build with the works. So unless its a new mod in the last 2 years it should be good to go. 

Thanks!

Just now, Fenriz said:

Amazing, thank you! Yeah, it was hop modded back in the day. Custom M727 build with the works. So unless its a new mod in the last 2 years it should be good to go. 

Thanks!

Should be fine then, I would double check that your piston is ok and not warped/damaged in any sense and also check that your feed lips on the mags are ok because even a slight miss alignment will cause the BB to chop from my experience.

1 minute ago, clumpyedge said:

Should be fine then, I would double check that your piston is ok and not warped/damaged in any sense and also check that your feed lips on the mags are ok because even a slight miss alignment will cause the BB to chop from my experience.

Ta, will do. I had it serviced before i put it away and its sat in a Pelicase since. So it should be fine. Ive given it a good clean since i took it out over the weekend and it looks fine. I put my BBs in the bin as i wasnt sure what 2 years sat in the bottom of an ottoman would do to biodegradable BBs. So ive not actually put a round through it yet. Ill pick up the G&G from my local and rattle a few rounds through this week. Thanks again. 

Just now, Fenriz said:

Ta, will do. I had it serviced before i put it away and its sat in a Pelicase since. So it should be fine. Ive given it a good clean since i took it out over the weekend and it looks fine. I put my BBs in the bin as i wasnt sure what 2 years sat in the bottom of an ottoman would do to biodegradable BBs. So ive not actually put a round through it yet. Ill pick up the G&G from my local and rattle a few rounds through this week. Thanks again. 

They have probably Swollen. If you look on patrol base you can get multi packs of G&G .28's if they have them in stock, Not sure what FS have stock wise for .28 but as ive said before if the hop is tac modded the go to weight and brand is the G&G .28 (the whole of my team that use systema's - 14 guys last count all use them and never have any issues). Let me know how you get on when you get some ammo.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Systema's dont like peasant ammo

FTFY. ;)

Huh, I did not know that about Systemas.  Do they have a non standard nozzle / hop system?  I'm finding it hard to picture what's acting as the anvil for the BB, if it's not the hop rubber lips, and I'd imagine the rubber would get wrecked in short order if the BBs were being damaged.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

FTFY. ;)

Huh, I did not know that about Systemas.  Do they have a non standard nozzle / hop system?  I'm finding it hard to picture what's acting as the anvil for the BB, if it's not the hop rubber lips, and I'd imagine the rubber would get wrecked in short order if the BBs were being damaged.

Differnt nozzle and hop chamber compared to your standard aeg 

On 10/09/2018 at 20:36, Giraffe said:

I used Blaster .25's in my Systemas. Was always fine.

Good choice on the 727. I had a bunch of retro PTW's. Not a flat-top or free-float in sight. I had a 733, GUU-5P, Colt 604, XM177E2, and an M16A2

Retro for the win! Before i took a (lengthy) break i was working on fitting an M203, but i need to send that off to be cerakoted before fitting so it matches the rifle.

Picked up the G&G, the test rounds ive fired seemed fine. See how she fares through saturday really!

On 10/09/2018 at 11:57, clumpyedge said:

They have probably Swollen. If you look on patrol base you can get multi packs of G&G .28's if they have them in stock, Not sure what FS have stock wise for .28 but as ive said before if the hop is tac modded the go to weight and brand is the G&G .28 (the whole of my team that use systema's - 14 guys last count all use them and never have any issues). Let me know how you get on when you get some ammo.

Played saturday using the G&G. Cracking rounds, no issues aside a slightly weak mag spring on one of my heavyweight mags; hardly the BBs fault, the other 7 mags were fine. Really pleased with the performance and had a great day. Cheers again for your help!

Archived