Night vision - Your thoughts and experience

Sneaky
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all.  I'm thinking of buying some night vision.  I had some goggles in the past (year 2000) and they served me very well.  Things have moved on since then and I have come across these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Infrared-Optical-Monocular-Night-Vision-Telescope-Device-For-Helmet/202308515983

They seem perfect and I have spoken to the seller already.  This part of the store is based in London, so I could buy them and try them out.  Has anyone tried these and how did they fair?

This can be helmet mounted or rifle mounted, which I like.

Thanks all.

• Supporters

they're absolutely horrendous, it's a CCD camera without an IR filter and a shitload of IR LEDs.  There's about a 1/4 second delay on the blurry image and it's got about a 1.5x zoom on it.  For static observation when you know for certain there's no other night vision users it'll be better than carrots, but you're really better off spending £30 on a half decent torch.

10 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

they're absolutely horrendous, it's a CCD camera without an IR filter and a shitload of IR LEDs.  There's about a 1/4 second delay on the blurry image and it's got about a 1.5x zoom on it.  For static observation when you know for certain there's no other night vision users it'll be better than carrots, but you're really better off spending £30 on a half decent torch.

Luckily for me I love carrots!

• Supporters
2 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

When the listing doesn't even have a 'shopped picture looking through the thing in a dark or a video.. you know it's top stuff.

Don’t need it , you can see it’s just oozing quality product ! 😇

Ah man.  Thanks all, I have sacked off the idea.....for now...

But I am tempted to order them just to try them, then return them.

2 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

Return them to China? Good luck! 

No luck required.

Based in London and China.  The stock is in London, not too far from work funny enough. I have already spoken to the seller about this.

• Supporters
On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 19:29, Dino said:

This part of the store is based in London, so I could buy them and try them out.

Theres a lot of "uk" sellers who are actually far east, dunno how they get away with it, plus look at their feedback, its not perfect & most of the negative stuff is kit not arriving or taking forever to arrive, another indicator their not uk.

10 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Theres a lot of "uk" sellers who are actually far east, dunno how they get away with it, plus look at their feedback, its not perfect & most of the negative stuff is kit not arriving or taking forever to arrive, another indicator their not uk.

I think they probably drop ship to the UK.

I have had stuff supposedly from the UK, there is a UK postage label stuck on top of the China Post one.

Cheers

G

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Dino said:

Ah man.  Thanks all, I have sacked off the idea.....for now...

But I am tempted to order them just to try them, then return them.

I would trust @jcheeserights judgement to be honest as he is an eminent geardo camo larp milsimmer type 😜. He would be one of the few who's  judgement I would take as gospel

Looks like I will send my money on something else.  Thanks everyone for the information once again.

3 hours ago, Dino said:

Looks like I will send my money on something else.  Thanks everyone for the information once again.

I can thoroughly recommend the cobra demon monocular. I have since moved onto a gen 3 unit but for the money the demon is an outstanding unit and will be usable everywhere not pitch black like a thick forest at night with cloud cover etc.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, GREG_BURTON said:

for the money the demon is an outstanding unit

For that money you could hire a family of Elbonians with torches to light up  everything within a half mile radius.

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

For that money you could hire a family of Elbonians with torches to light up  everything within a half mile radius.

Almost everywhere that does NV does retail finance through a 3rd party company so mine cost me £550 initial cost and £100 a month for 12 months at 0% interest which i thought was pretty good. I can see your point though and i feel NV gets a bit of a bad rep the same way that crye and systemas get that the people are elitist and i think there are always going to be people like that no matter what they own. I am defo the opposite i have let people try my gear out 99% of the time when they have asked me.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived