Head/face protection

ScouseReaper
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi folks, after chatting with one of the guys over the phone I've decided to send the full face mask I ordered back and get a helmet/ half face mask combo with Googles, my budget is £100 tops for all 3, preferably less. Could anybody give me some ideas please? 

I personally have a pentagon baseball cap, bolle x800l goggles and a mesh lower mask from Amazon (the really generic one that everyone has).

I also have a full face ballistic mask which I use alot and I think I would use alot more if I could put my camera on it.

• Supporters

Phew, that's a big question.

Goggles are a huge can of worms.  If you don't sweat much, you can wear just about anything.  If you're a sweater, then you'll soon find yourself raging out at all the "Yeah, X worked for me, so it will definitely work for you," well meaning advice.  Me, the only thing I've found that doesn't fog up is a pair of generic fan goggles with DIY double glazing done with clear PETG and double sided foam tape.  And even that might not work for everyone.  If you have to go mesh, you have to go mesh, and whatever goggles you buy, I'd suggest dropping a few £££ on a set of basic mesh goggles as well in case you find yourself needing to switch to them.

Helmet, you might as well go with a FAST clone because that's the helmet that things which attach to helmets will attach to.

Lower face mask, either one that clips to the helmet, or I'd recommend a fabric / mesh combo, as it helps you get your face down to the sights ("cheek weld" if you're being Walt).  Look for one with two straps and a separator as they stay on much better.  For example:

b6fd6b677a78e0eefd57045fe51f4099dfcd1958b1eb62d1d0ce001a57dfa68f7537e276f62a11cf

• Supporters

goggles, well if you sweat at all your choices are being protected but blind with full seal, or less protected with unsealed. never ever mesh, i don't even care, no mesh, seriously.

fan assitance for goggles is the best way imo, i've never seen an anti fog compound that worked and i've tried everything from proper stuff to rubbing a potato on the lens.

lower mask is a different story, personally i just go bare, keep my distance and accept it (with the occasional tactical closing of the gob), although in cqb i'd always go for a half mask (because i like eating, and i especially like using my teeth to eat with)

otherwise i just run a baseball cap and a set of amplifying ear defenders which have the dual purpose of letting me hear everything and protecting my ears (although i used to wear a hood)

only time i wear a helmet is on a night shoot, and that's more for protection from stealthy tree branches than bb's.

17 hours ago, Prisce said:

+1 that’s my set up.

Onetigris helmet + dyei4 paid £50 for the dye new and £15 for the helmet s/h, then went for a clear lens £31 posted

https://www.bzpaintball.co.uk/dye-i4-thermal-lens-clear

chopped out some of the foam, very easy and the 2 sit nicely together with no gaps!

1 hour ago, TST said:

What about the FMA Anti-Fog Goggles?

Would you recommend them?

They are on sale in alibaba, would you recommend them for safety and anti-fog?

Thanks!

i wouldnt reccommend them

• Supporters
1 hour ago, tasum said:

for goggles, I'd recommend the valken v-tac sierra. they've never fogged up on me, despite some very sweaty games

https://www.justpaintball.co.uk/valken-sierra-airsoft-goggles.html

With any Valken safety equipment I’d want to see before I buy , there just re-branders like ASG/onetigris/etc etc so you don’t know what the quality’s like . 

3 minutes ago, TST said:

Would you say that FMA Anti-Fog Goggles are overkill?

if you want to kill your eyes that is. if you want something cheaper get something like the bolle cobras or tracker.

the FMA goggles get dented when shot, i wouldnt risk it tbh

3 minutes ago, Haru said:

if you want to kill your eyes that is. if you want something cheaper get something like the bolle cobras or tracker.

the FMA goggles get dented when shot, i wouldnt risk it tbh

Oh OK, I see :(

I want something that is durable and doesn't fog up. So anything you would say for a newbie in terms of a protective gear load-out I would consider.

I don't sweat much, not at all to be perfectly honest, so I think pretty much anything would do for me?

1 minute ago, TST said:

I want something that is durable and doesn't fog up. So anything you would say for a newbie in terms of a protective gear load-out I would consider.

I don't sweat much, not at all to be perfectly honest, so I think pretty much anything would do for me?

I've heard alot of good things on the Bolle x800/810/1000s

want a pair myself

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, TST said:

ESS Profile Turbofan goggles.

Not cheap mind.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Lozart said:

ESS Profile Turbofan goggles.

Not cheap mind.

£193?  I'm pretty sure I could buy a Chinese orphan's eyeball for less.

Good news is OP isn't a sweater.  Pyramex I-Force glasses or Bolle Anythings should be fine then. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

£193?  I'm pretty sure I could buy a Chinese orphan's eyeball for less.

Good news is OP isn't a sweater.  Pyramex I-Force glasses or Bolle Anythings should be fine then. 

I think you managed to find THE most expensive place to get them! Only £175 on Tactical Kit. I got mine for £60 on ebay (and yes, they're genuine).

I do sweat like a paedophile in Mothercare though...

I'm not  sweaty chap, but I do sweat during a hot indoor session, but my Valkens didn't fog and my dye stays clear. Like Duff, I think the beard helps to mop up some of the vapour lol. Although finding a way to keep your forehead from dripping into your goggles would probably help. If you're not going the helmet route, then a regular head wiping regime would assist. My helmet seems to aid air flow, so it's less of an issue.

I went the helmet route after a nasty ping on the nose which came through my onetigris mask and my valkens. I think I must have moved my mask or goggles, when shouldering, to create a little gap. That said, I think the onetigris masks are very comfortable and offer good protection at a great price. If you're thinking of a mask I can recommend them as they are nice and soft and allow a decent cheek-weld. Just be aware that they can move. :)

I see some chaps wearing a neoprene or other type of mask/scarf/balaclava underneath their mask/goggle setup. That may obviate or reduce the issue.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, tasum said:

finding a way to keep your forehead from dripping into your goggles would probably help.

Headsweat skull cap or headband would work. I did see a headband with a kind of gutter in it that blocks sweat running down to your eyes but I can't find it for the life of me now.

On 04/09/2018 at 17:54, ScouseReaper said:

Hi folks, after chatting with one of the guys over the phone I've decided to send the full face mask I ordered back and get a helmet/ half face mask combo with Googles, my budget is £100 tops for all 3, preferably less. Could anybody give me some ideas please? 

Such a vast field of options.

I have used most combos of full face, helmets, goggles, mesh, glasses I can think of and now keep it stupidly simple with mesh goggles, a cut down (home botched) face mask panel I slide into a neck gaitor and a baseball cap.

This is with 2 years of playing and trying different things and spending way over your budget on various bits of kit I used once and didnt get on with.

there are LOADS of variables with eye pro, face pro and head coverings the only way you will find what works for you is by trying things out im affraid!

what we swear by you may absolutely hate. 

Archived